Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unsure

Feedback Score

Red face Unsure

My mom is thinking of switching to Sprint in November(when her contract ends for ATT), because she can get Unlimited Data and Texting for 3 phones, at the same price she pays now, for 4 phones, and no data, and no texting, which is $90.

I don't really like the selection of phones that Sprint offers for a minimal price, and I'm not that into their touch screen phones either.
    I guess I'm over the whole touch screen fad at the moment, my main concern really, is durability, sound, and call quality, a little bit of camera, too.

I'm really into a phone like my uncle's, the Sony Ericsson w810i.
    So, after spending quite some time looking at phones, I saw these two..

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w890-2172.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w960-2008.php

The w960i is $250 in a store on ebay, which they include screen protectors and other goodies.
    The w890i is $150 in a store on ebay, which tehy offer the same kind of goodies.
    (I'll be paying for the phone.)

The w960 however, is a touch screen phone (hypocrite?) , has an LED flash with a 3.2 megapixel camera +WiFi + 8gb storage +128mb of RAM I believe.

The w890 is basically like the w810i (in my opinion) phone, but slimmer, no LED, but 3.2 megapixel, no WiFi, and just a MicroSD card (Which I have no problem with.)

I got all drooly over the Wifi, but I'm thinking, why would I need wifi if my mom is getting unlimited Data, and texting?
    I have a computer, I don't need to use the internet on a phone, but it'd be nice to have something in case I go somewhere and need it for some spontaneous reason, and data somehow screws up, leaving me with no other alternative. Pretty unrealistic there...

I was also looking at Nokia phones.....They're expensive!! And a majority have wifi too, which is nice. I can give them exceptions.

Sony Ericsson and Nokia are the phones that I have my eyes on, if anyone else has any suggestion of other ones, that would be great.

This is what is leading me away from Sony Ericsson, and I would like this to be confirmed, as much as I've read it and probably have had it confirmed.

Apparently Symbian is filing for bankruptsy, and that their software is going to be discontinued..? And the w960 runs on the Symbian UIQ 3 I believe, so what if there are fixes to be made, will they not be available?
    On top of that ,Sony Ericsson is going to split, too..? Wil this effect the production of even future upgrades on select phones, if any?
    Or, the biggest question really, is that, for phones that have the Symbian software, is it even worth buying anymore?

I love Sony Ericsson's Walkman phones, I'm a music geek, even though their phones won't replace my MP3 player, it's still fun to have around, if I don't have one, I'll at least have the other.

My mother has the w580, I love it, but it's not to my biggest interest.

As long as the phone will work in North America, that's perfect, too. I never did text before, I tried it on my mom's phone, just writing messages actually, since she has all the apps that use data blocked, so it was all fairly easy.

Key Things::
    Call Quality - MAJOR PLUS
    Sound Quality - Pretty good, enough to make me want to grab and jam about possibly. Or actually FEEL the music, if that made sense.
    Durability - If I drop my phone from a skyscraper, I expect it to survive. ...Or my desk, rather.
    Speed - I'm not impatient, but I don't like things taking forever to do something simple.
    Ergonomics - I don't want carpel tunnel just trying to text with my thumb. (You get what I mean. )
    Camera - In case I'm hanging out with my friends, or some sort of night event that's worth taking pcitures, I don't want darkness all around me, so a flash would be necessary. I give the w890i an exception not because of its sexyness, but because of its solid build, and decensy, and that it reminds me of the w810 so much.

The w960 is amazing, beautiful, sleek, and could have probably had better key placements, but these are my concerns....
    --Will I have a hard time getting used to its touch screen software?
    --Will I have to worry about the touch screen breaking?
    --Will it take me a while to get used to not having a D-Pad?
    --Would it be easy to text? The keys look a little..I don't know..Complicated...
    --Is the sound quality, the call quality, and build of it decent enough to last me a couple years?

My concerns with the w890....
    --Is it easy to text as it would be the w810?
    --Is the sound and call quality good, too?
    --Will it last?

I think the lasting part has to do with the user, but what I mean at the same time, is the software. Will I have to worry about some kind of freeze, reboot, etc. Minor bugs are fine I guess, I just don't want it to ruin the phone.
    The Ebay stores too, have warranties, so I'm definitely going to make sure I get one. No matter what the price.

Basically, I would like something fun, something that can keep me entertained for the years to come. I don't like going from one phone to another ,even though the w995 is looking really good right now. (It's just expensive, and I think it'll stay that way 'till November.)
    I would just like something simple, decent, doesn't have to be all around perfect, but just easy to text, talk, and carry around without worry, especially listening to them, too, I wouldn't like some speaker phone to be too loud or too soft.

Again, I'm open to any and every suggestion possible.
    If there are suggestions for other phones, please give me your opinion on it, and think it would go with what I look for.

Price Range....I would say at least $300.
    I'm already getting paid $400 for an internship, however, I'm putting a majority in savings.
    I'm going to have a summer job, and I'm going to be persistant on applying for jobs so that I can slip through the thin cracks of the Economy and get hired. So if it's going to be more, depending on if it's my money's worth, I'll make exceptions.

Thank you so much, please feel free to ask me anything else that you want to know, or give off suggestions, opinions, and so forth. I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by MarioDRio; 05-30-2009 at 01:34 PM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. "

Device(s)
    TMO G2 (using). TMO G1 (given away), NEC N906i (sold), Sharp 9130C (sold), HTC Hermes (sold)
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    If you want to be on Sprint's network you are going to have to use Sprint branded phones, no way around that. They use CDMA EV-DO and are not a GSM provider like AT&T. The phones don't have a sim card (lamest example is that the sim card is built into the phone). The phones are programed to the network and as Sprint doesn't allow you to add foreign ESN (CDMA phones ID) to their database, let alone you will or have to find someone to program the phone for Sprint's network.

Feedback Score
    Thank you so much for the reply.
    Well, that's a major mood kill. =(
    It's not like she switched now any way, do you know of any other provider that can give a similar kind of plan? That won't be too pricey, and that would accept foreign phones?

Device(s)
    HD2 T9193
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, T-Mobile has pretty cheap pricing but its 3G is very limited if you care about that. You can use any GSM phones that are unlocked or locked to T-Mobile with their SIM cards. Otherwise, you are stuck with AT&T.

Feedback Score
    What would 3G do for me, exactly?

Device(s)
    HD2 T9193
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Faster web surfing speeds and slightly improved call quality at the expense of battery life.

Also, I don't think the fully unlimited plan on T-Mo goes down as low as the plan you just mentioned for Sprint for the same number of lines.

Feedback Score
    Thank you! =)
    I'll lok more into it, but before I asked my mom about T-Mobile and she said she doesn't like it for some reason, I'll find out more tomorrow. Is there anything fishy about them?

Device(s)
    HD2 T9193
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No. Unless you consider what many find to be the best customer service of the big four "fishy." Their lack of 3G besides on the T-Mobile G1 and a few others is a bummer, though. The coverage is also slightly inferior to AT&T.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    where did you hear that symbian is going bankrupt? Its not going anywhere really. Anyway i would stick with gsm cause you get to use unlocked gsm phones. Sprint is not like that, you are stuck with the phones they have thats it. ↲

I would go with a nokia symbian phone, they really are the best you can get on the market. The wifi is much more useful than you think. I'm posting from my phone now via wifi and i have unlimited data as well for 15 bucks. Can't get a better deal than that for high speed 3g data on att.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Feedback Score
    I probably read it wrong.
    http://www.mobspecs.com/?p=2888
    Forgive me if I did.
    ..Yeah, that's a different site from the one I first read, I did read it wrong. Sorry for the misunderstanding!!

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    If you use t-mobile you won't be able to use 3G on unlocked phones. They use some different band of it.
    My Feedback on HoFo:Click Here
    Want to save on shipping? Send me a PM

1000th post - May 31st, 2009 10:41 PM EST

Feedback Score
    I don't think I'll need 3G really. I mean it sounds great and all, but, my mom doesn't have it, and there hasn't been any complications or frustrations without it, for the times I've used her phone at least.

Feedback Score
    RogerProdacter, which Nokia Symbian phones would you suggest?

Feedback Score
    The N85 is looking really good, a little at the edge of my range, but, it seems to fit everything I look for. What do you guys think?

Device(s)
    Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, I would personally suggest a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. It is a media/music oriented phone. It has:
    -great call quality/reception
    -Wifi
    -3.2MP Camera with Carl Zeiss Lens, Autofocus and LED flash
    -3.2in touchscreen with a relatively high resolution, so good for movies (you'll have to decide if that is a dealbreaker or not)
    -good quality speakers and a 3.5MM headphone jack
    -Browser with Flash support for watching YouTube and stuff

Additionally, you can get them as cheap as $250 (though that is if you're patient and wait for a sale somewhere). Newegg has them for $289.99 after $50 mail in rebate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast