Thread: iPhone 3G vs Touch Diamond 3G

Device(s)
    Telstra HD2 on ATT 3G
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

iPhone 3G vs Touch Diamond 3G

Ok this has been discussed MANY times I know. But man, I'm still debating between the 2 and feel I need to rant about it.

I recently switched to the iPhone 3G a few weeks ago and it's been my daily driver. It's the longest I've gone with it because of a couple apps that came about. But I'm still missing some things from my TD. Let me start with what I'm missing from the Touch Diamond(Windows Mobile).

1. Plug in and it becomes a USB drive with easy access to ALL my files. No itunes.
    2. File system browsing (although jailbroken iPhone allows this)
    3. Familiarity with Windows(I probably should learn Linux i.e. Mobile Terminal)
    4. Better Calendar/Alerting functions. Like better reminder settings and easier/quicker appt input.
    5. Again better alerting. When a calendar reminder goes off on iPhone you get one audible alert ONLY. WTF! (although I'm testing a jailbroken app to fix this)
    6. I can email any file from my Diamond WAY easier than the iPhone thanks to a browsable file system. Like a PC.
    7. Today Screen! The lockscreen is cool and there are some jailbroken options but it's still way underutilized
    and the springboard seems way too simplistic. Basically it's just Start>Programs.
    8. MMS
    9. Stand alone Flash(.swf) player
    10. Morscript
    11. Better quality camera

Here's what I do however really like about the iPhone.

1. Large capacitive screen. Yes I could spring 800 bucks for a Telstra HD but it's still not capacitive.
    2. App Store. It really is blowing up. Although a lot of apps are pointless(IMHO) there are a lot of good ones and it's growing exponentially.
    3. Did I mention the large capacitive screen?...
    4. The fluid nature of the OS is silky smooth and pleasing to the eye. And the finger friendly nature is great.
    5. Again the OS is very intuitive and what it does it does great.
    6. 3.5 Jack

Basically I think I'm having an affair on my Diamond and will probably go back. Isn't it great that cell phones don't care?

Device(s)
    iphone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    hilarious...I can't go back to the diamond, it seems so small (ie screen) compared to the iphone.

I would love to go back to windows mobile for a few reasons. I am just so drawn in by the music and apps that it'll be hard to switch back....really hard

good luck figuring out what you want
    Mike

Eph 2.8

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I had both and I personally liked the Diamond a lot. Mike is right, once you go to a larger screen, its hard to go back to a small screen.

I didnt get great coverage with my Diamond, I dont know why. I even changed the Radio and ROM a few times. I have to say the best thing about the Diamond is that it was the first HTC WinMo phone that I was happier with the stock OEM ROM over any other cooked ROM that was out there.

I HATED not having the 3.5 jack on the Diamond. In this day and age, how do these companies not use 3.5 as the standard. Samsung does the same thing.

Both have internal memory which sucks, imo. I guess with the iPhone, you can get a lot more memory and with the new iPhone coming out, you can get 32GB of memory.

What I miss about WinMo and the Diamond is now easy it is to customize the phone to your liking, something that the iPhone will never be able to do.

I am a big fan of having your calendar on the today screen, something that the iPhone lacks. You would think they would offer something to change that.

I also am not a fan of iTunes.

In the end, they are both great devices. I think the iPhone is a great piece of technology but it wasnt for me. There are plenty of diehard WinMo people that now will never leave the iPhone like JNGold. I sold mine to Neo.

I am happiest with my Nokia right now. 3.2" screen, a beautiful touchscreen that you can see in sunlight, 3.5 jack, microSD card (came with 8GB), TV out, great 3.5G speeds. Wish the browser was a tad better but its still better than IE.

I installed the same lock screen on my 5800 as the iPhone has and im a happy camper. In the beginning there were NO apps for this phone but now there are tons, especially with the N97 coming out.
    @Maevro

Device(s)
    Telstra HD2 on ATT 3G
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Well I'm back to my Diamond... Especially after I needed WMWifiRouter and didn't have it. PDANet on the iPhone is flaky. WinMo and my Diamond just offers too much for me(power user).

I think I would REALLY like a Telstra HD for the large screen and 3.5 jack. Or maybe the TP2 on ATT will be good, but no 3.5 jack(why is that?!). Ugh.

Device(s)
    iphone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    I almost wish I didn't ever try the iphone (sort of)...but it does what it does sooooo well, that I'm gonna find it hard to switch back. Plus, I've spent some money on apps and music and I love itunes (in general). Well, I love the app store and the ease of d/l music on the go.

One of the things that irks me with the iphone is the need to sync every couple days (depending) to keep all apps updated, etc...

I never synced my wm devices...except to d/l pictures.

Pictures....that reminds me that some of my favorite apps are photo editing apps that are really pretty good. Games...my kids play with me...youtube...etc...it is really really nice on an iphone. I wish I would have never tried it!!

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you like your Diamond, you may want to wait out the 3G Diamond 2. It is a major upgrade IMHO. I never get into the (usually negative) iphone vs. ____ threads but, to address your situation, it's about as close to a capacitive display as you can get and still be resistive. Also, the way HTC has completely changed the UI (deep) it is very fluid and finger friendly now even with TF3D off. I've literally used the stylus 2 times in a month (and I think once was to remove the sd card). Also, I have a buddy who has an iphone. I did a side by side with Opera on the TD2 and Safari and it was amazing how the resolution on the D2 blew it out of the water. My friend even commented on how well he could read even the smallest fonts without zooming in.

The large screen is a blessing and a curse. I definitely want to have a really small device again but I'm being really spoiled by that 3.2" WVGA and it's gonna be tough to go 'backwards'. IMO, the D2 is a good compromise for the HD. You get the large crisp screen and a fantastic camera but you still have a small device that easily slips in the pocket. Once I receive the matte finish battery cover, it will be close to perfect.

As for the iphone vs. Diamond, it looks like you already solved your conundrum.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewchandler
    I almost wish I didn't ever try the iphone....
    Me too! Now you guys are all gone and there's nothing to talk about anymore! C'mon Mike, how about doing an iphone review for us from your roof?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs - 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewchandler
    I almost wish I didn't ever try the iphone (sort of)...but it does what it does sooooo well, that I'm gonna find it hard to switch back. Plus, I've spent some money on apps and music and I love itunes (in general). Well, I love the app store and the ease of d/l music on the go.
    Here here! I too am going to find it very difficult to switch back to WM. It's almost a given if I ever did leave the iPhone, I would rather go to something like the Pre. However, the iPhone line will be in my life for the forseeable future.

I have never had any phone or PDA that is as reliable and stable than the iPhone. No WM device came close. Time and time again, I would expect to do something with my WM device and have to soft-reset or struggle with the device being bog-down-slow. I also grew tired of having to apply 1000x tweaks just for the device to run semi-adequately. As for customizing, that too became just a fad.

There are some things that I do miss having the iPhone. First and foremost is cut/paste which will be rectified in a month or so with 3.0. I will also enjoy 3.0's meeting notification capability from the default calendar. Another thing I miss is the multitasking but only when I am listening to MLB 2009. It would be cool to allow that particular app to run in the background. Apple is supposedly working on a scheme that will allow background processes but not compromise the device stability.

That being said, I am very close to investing in my own Franchise business. When I do move forward with it, the iPhone will certainly fit the bill for all my needs both business and personal. One of those needs being a stable and reliable device.

The iPhone just works when I need it to. WM devices always seemed to be a crap-shoot. That I learned from using them for over 8 years.
    PDA Lineage
    Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3),Imate K-Jam,Treo 750, HTC Touch Cruise, HTC Touch Diamond(US),iPhone 3G 16GB,iPhone 3GS 16GB

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Not to mention the iPhone OS, at its current 2.2.1 level, is the toughest mobile OS I have ever seen. Absolute zero in crashes.

On the other hand, I have to say, I truly love the looks of the HTC Touch Diamond. Truly a beauty. And the screen resolution is a wonder.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Feedback Score

iphone 3G S vs iphone 3G & Touch diamond vs diamond 2

iphone

Apple quotes “twice the performance” and my, does it live up to that statement. Due to the enhanced hardware, and double the RAM, the phone really does perform speedily, and performs almost ALL tasks faster than the 3G. There is a noticeable performance bump with the 3Gs and you get a sense of it right from the home screen itself. But the updates don’t stop there. One interesting feature of the iPhone 3GS is the new Oleophobic screen which will not pick up fingerprints easily. The 3.2 megapixel camera with continuous Auto-Focus and Video Recording. The last captured photo thumbnail is nicely present in the bottom-left corner. You can focus by tapping on the screen. Toggling between Video and Image mode is possible via the slider at the bottom-right corner.

Diamond

Gone is the D-Pad and huge send and receive buttons. The send and receive buttons are much smaller. Also, the home key has been replaced by a dedicated windows key. On the left side of the device, you will find the volume buttons to adjust the volume up/down. On the top resides the power button. Just below the display, you will find the zoom bar, which zooms the text in Opera as-well-as in the other applications. The Touch Diamond 2 comes with a 5MP auto-focus camera. For the sake of comparison, the original Touch Diamond came with a 3.2MP camera. We would like to point out that there is still NO flash in the Touch Diamond 2. Here are some pictures taken with the camera of Touch Diamond 2.