Thread: Data on SIM only plan

Device(s)
    HTC TyTN
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Data on SIM only plan

I just returned from London after a short trip on which I got an Orange no-cost pay-as-you-go SIM on the Camel plan. I popped it into my unlocked HTC TyTN (Hermes 200, not the AT&T model). Voice worked great, 6p/minute back to the USA. Take that, AT&T!

Data seemed stuck in the 1G mode on APN "orangeinternet." My trip was too short to get back to the Orange store and sort this out. I did speak with customer service by telephone before I left and was given two additional APN's to try, "orangewap" and "internetvpn," the latter designed for people like me who need to access their corporate e-mail using a VPN. I was told none of these three needed username, password, domain, IP address, server or proxy entries.

Orangeinternet gave a 1G connection. I could web brose and pull gmail into the Messaging application.

Orangewap did not work at all.

Internetvpn connected, but didn't work (i.e., couldn't pull my corporate e-mail into messaging like I do with ISP.CINGULAR and my own VPN settings.

If anyone out there has experience getting to 3G and getting a VPN to work on Orange, I'd be grateful to learn how. It seems to me that either the Camel plan does not provide all necessary features and must be upgraded, and/or there are additional settings needed for orangewap APN and internetvpn APN.

Thanks to anyone who can assist.

Device(s)
    IP4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido/Rogers
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    used the camel plan when i was abroad; didnt get 3G but still worth it since i could check email and d/l for less then 5GBP per week;

and only 5GBP per month if using a BB...!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CES1951
    If anyone out there has experience getting to 3G and getting a VPN to work on Orange, I'd be grateful to learn how. It seems to me that either the Camel plan does not provide all necessary features and must be upgraded, and/or there are additional settings needed for orangewap APN and internetvpn APN.

Thanks to anyone who can assist.
    Hi

I am not enough of an expert to answer all your questions, but just some thoughts.

No 3g is a bit strange. If your handset can work on UMTS 2100 then it should of been able to pick up Orange UK's 3G signal. The only two reasons that I can think of that would stop you getting a 3G signal are....

1. You were in an area that did not have 3g coverage. However if you were in London this is unlikely especially in central London.

2. Orange UK have two types of sim cards. One that only works on 2G and one that can work on both 2 & 3G. I was reading on another site about a guy who had signed up to a new contract with Orange 3 months ago. They supplied the new handset that he picked, which was a 2G phone and a sim card. The customer then broke his phone and bought a new 3G handset on ebay. He tried his sim card in the phone only to find that he could only get 2G but not 3G signal. The customer called Orange to ask about this and was told that he only had a 2G sim. I would guess that the Orange sim that you have been given works is a 2G only only sim. Next time you are in London call into an Orange store and ask them for a 3g pay as you go sim.

(Just as a side note every time I go to the States I have had issues getting 3G signal on my UK phone. I didn't get a 3G signal on my iPhone roaming on At&t and standing in Time sq.)

Orange World/Internet/Wap. Orange offer internet on all their tariffs, its nothing to do with your choice of the camel plan. They have a website that gives details of how to amend your browser so that you can get Orange world its http://setuporange.wdsglobal.com/. When you have selected your phone from the drop down list you need to select the settings for WAP PAYG (pay as you go customers/pre pay)

I hope this in some way helps.

Alex

Device(s)
    IP4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido/Rogers
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    thanks for the info; this is quite helpful for our next trip to europe..!!