Thread: Free skype if in the USA?

Device(s)
    Sony T68i
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Free skype if in the USA?

Has anyone tried to see if you get skype if connected to AT&T in the USA? Is it free?

Thanks,

GP

Device(s)
    Vario III
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile -UK
    Feedback Score
    why would that possibly ever even work?????
    You'd have thought someone would of put a sig here...

Device(s)
    Sony T68i
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by psionandy
    why would that possibly ever even work?????
    3 has skype installed on most, if not all of their phones and the use of skype is free! In other words, I bought a phone for 70 pounds which included a 10 pound topup. As long as I have a balance, I can use skype to make phone calls to landlines and mobiles and skype to skype calls and IM for free. It doesn't reduce your topup amount or tap into any data usage. It's the best deal out there. I used it in Italy and England and it worked great. I was able to make calls to the USA while on a train.

Anyway, just wanted to know if I was using the phone in the USA, would I be able to use skype for free as it was in Europe.

Thanks,

GP

Device(s)
    Vario III
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile -UK
    Feedback Score
    Three don't use the standard skype client though... it uses its own one that piggy backs off its phone network be it in the UK or Italy or any other country where 3 operates. It won't work in the UK with a non 3 sim... so the chances of A&T allowing it are pretty slim, And even if it did you'd be paying AT&T a bucket load of cash for a free call!!!

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Probably not. I bet you're going to have to pay some kind of international roaming charge to access the AT&T network. Also, I don't know how the 3 phone connects to the network, but if it's using 3G/UMTS/HSDPA for Skype, you're probably screwed since AT&T uses different frequencies than 3.

As always, with all advice: Your Milage May Vary.
    Post 100!