Thread: Anyone know why Mobile Backup is temporarily unavailable for purchase?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless (postpaid),
    Feedback Score

Anyone know why Mobile Backup is temporarily unavailable for purchase?

See the lower left of page: http://mobilebackup.att.com

I subscribe, since it's only $1.99 a month, and is able to save more than what can be saved to a SIM. It would be nice if it did save everything on my phone, SIM, and MicroSD card.

I was telling a friend about it and when they went they couldn't sign up. I thought it was because they didn't have a compatible phone, but it was because they're not accepting new sign-ups. Anyone know why?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    $1.99 a month? That's a ripoff. It certainly does not backup your entire phone memory. All it does is store your contacts. You might as well just put them on an inactive SIM and then put the SIM in a closet or safe deposit box.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by burgerwars
    See the lower left of page: http://mobilebackup.att.com

I subscribe, since it's only $1.99 a month, and is able to save more than what can be saved to a SIM. It would be nice if it did save everything on my phone, SIM, and MicroSD card.

I was telling a friend about it and when they went they couldn't sign up. I thought it was because they didn't have a compatible phone, but it was because they're not accepting new sign-ups. Anyone know why?
    They took it off the market. New Mobile Backup sales were discontinued after April 1st. July 31, 2009 is the date Mobile Backup will be completely retired.

A 3rd party app took it's place... Looks like it's $2.99/month. For the extra $1/month, it looks like it will backup more than just contacts...
    Quote Originally Posted by AT&T Website
    Wallpaper, ringtones, audio, and video can all be easily synced and shared through a user created portal. Never again lose your contacts, pictures, audio, or video.
    Click here and then search for "My Locker."
    Quote Originally Posted by awj223
    $1.99 a month? That's a ripoff. It certainly does not backup your entire phone memory. All it does is store your contacts. You might as well just put them on an inactive SIM and then put the SIM in a closet or safe deposit box.
    This works too, but if you constantly are adding contacts, it would not have your most recent additions. Or it would require you to update your backup SIM constantly... I think the best way is to sync it with Outlook but it requires that you have a smartphone or a dumb phone that will sync (most can, but it can be difficult to find software/cables to do it. Motorola Phone Tools works really well for this brand).

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Yes, Mobile Backup is being "phased out".
    My opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer AT&T.