Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Let's Play a Game: How Many Glydes Will They Send Me?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0

    Let's Play a Game: How Many Glydes Will They Send Me?

    I am currently on my fifth Samsung Glyde for VZ. The first three were all the capacitive screen (non-Refresh), and all three had the same common issue: the touchscreen would lock out, only allowing certain buttons to be pushed, no matter where on the screen you hit. I am now on my 2nd Glyde Refresh (resistive screen), both of which have had a slightly different but equally annoying issue with the touch screen where the whole thing will COMPLETELY freeze (including call timers, etc), requiring a hard reboot.

    VZ has been nothing short of a nightmare to deal with: denying there is a problem, not following up when promised, sending me to stores to pick up new phones after guaranteeing they were in stock only to arrive and be told they had none left, etc.

    After phone #3, VZ offered to swap me into the LG Venus. This is clearly not an acceptable replacement: it offers no touch screen, no QWERTY keyboard (my biggest issue), etc. After much arguing, they offered to send me an LG Voyager (which would count as my UPGRADE!!!). I have no interest in that phone, either.

    So the question is: just how many times will VZ Customer Service field my call, transfer me to Tech Support, overnight me a new Glyde, transfer me back to Customer Service, credit me for ringtones, downloads, etc., before they finally get sick of it and allow me a proper Upgrade (meaning choosing the replacement phone I want)? Any guesses? My over/under is 7.5.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    227
    Device(s)
    moto A855
    Carrier(s)
    vzw
    Feedback Score
    0
    Based on what I've read around here, after 3 you can get what's offered on some "equal type of phone" list, which in the past has been the EnV2. Apparently that's all calling 611 can do, however, if you go to a store and state your case, it's up to the manager's discretion and the manager can ok a switch to any phone you want.

    Best of luck and even though my glyde refresh is working great now, I look forward to using my annual upgrade and getting away from this problem phone.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    216
    Device(s)
    Moto Droid (Me)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless d/b/a Cellco Partnership
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky
    Based on what I've read around here, after 3 you can get what's offered on some "equal type of phone" list, which in the past has been the EnV2. Apparently that's all calling 611 can do, however, if you go to a store and state your case, it's up to the manager's discretion and the manager can ok a switch to any phone you want.

    Best of luck and even though my glyde refresh is working great now, I look forward to using my annual upgrade and getting away from this problem phone.
    CS/Data can do that was well, but when you deviate from the replacement matrix you will have to pay the difference in cost between the two phones... If you want to go from a Glyde to a Versa/Dare (for example) without paying anything or having your upgrade date exteneded... good luck won't happen.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hbkh
    CS/Data can do that was well, but when you deviate from the replacement matrix you will have to pay the difference in cost between the two phones... If you want to go from a Glyde to a Versa/Dare (for example) without paying anything or having your upgrade date exteneded... good luck won't happen.
    I asked Data Support about paying the difference, they said that was impossible because "the warranty process doesn't work like that". I pressed, but could not get an explanation on what that meant.

    I think the issue was that I was asking to Upgrade to the Omnia (which has the same retail as what I originally paid for the Glyde, $200). They said it was "impossible", because it offered so many more features. I asked what difference that possibly made to them if the costs are the same, but couldn't get an explanation.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ithaca, NY 14850
    Posts
    1,909
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    the omnia is a smartphone. there no way they would multiFRU you to that. if they give you a different phone, any different phone, its going to extend youre upgrade date. thats just how multiFRU works.
    My Feedback!
    1000 posts on July 4th 2007 at 3:06am est

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    619
    Device(s)
    LG VX9200
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I ordered a Glyde REFRESH a few weeks ago and as soon as I started playing with it the entire screen would freeze up. Sounds like an identical problem to what you were experiencing. I was well within 30 days, so just returned it and moved on.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopeke
    the omnia is a smartphone. there no way they would multiFRU you to that. if they give you a different phone, any different phone, its going to extend youre upgrade date. thats just how multiFRU works.
    "That's just how it works" is the same thing VZ tried telling me. That isn't a real answer. Smartphone or no, what possible difference can it make to VZ? I wanted the Omnia as it was the closest SAMSUNG product to what I had, meaning I didn't have to replace my spare home charger, car chargers, data cable, etc. Why would VZ possibly care if the replacement they sent me has more features than the one I had, provided the costs are the same???

    Further, why would I possibly agree to allow them to extend my Upgrade date when they won't let me choose the phone I want? If I'm getting an Upgrade, I can choose the phone I want, if I can't choose the phone I want its not an Upgrade.

    There are no real REASONS for this; its just some arbitrary policy that VZ has created without actually considering the ramifications.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    577
    Device(s)
    iphone 8plus
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hbkh
    CS/Data can do that was well, but when you deviate from the replacement matrix you will have to pay the difference in cost between the two phones... If you want to go from a Glyde to a Versa/Dare (for example) without paying anything or having your upgrade date exteneded... good luck won't happen.
    That's what I did, had 4 or 5 replacement glydes, and the tech in the store asked " if I could get any other phone, what kind would I want?", so I looked around for awhile, and finally picked the Curve ( all we had to do was pay the difference ($30.00) and agree to a new reset of the upgrade date... DONE DEAL!!

    Best move we ever made...no probs whatsoever!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fredandbetty
    That's what I did, had 4 or 5 replacement glydes, and the tech in the store asked " if I could get any other phone, what kind would I want?", so I looked around for awhile, and finally picked the Curve ( all we had to do was pay the difference ($30.00) and agree to a new reset of the upgrade date... DONE DEAL!!

    Best move we ever made...no probs whatsoever!
    I actually DID try my local store when Customer Service sent me there to pick up a replacement Glyder, only to be told they were out of stock.

    They were reasonably sympathetic, but still would not budge on letting me pay the difference to get the phone I really wanted. I guess its luck of the draw.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    32
    Device(s)
    Nokia 5800
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    10! but thats just my guess

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    72
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Eventually they might try to make a claim that you're causing the problem and stop sending you phones. Then they'll make you wait for an upgrade. Verizon sucks.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1219
    Eventually they might try to make a claim that you're causing the problem and stop sending you phones. Then they'll make you wait for an upgrade. Verizon sucks.
    It'd be difficult for them to claim I am causing the problem when they have already released a firmware update AND a hardware update to try and address this issue, as well as pulling the phone off the shelf for a few weeks back in November.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Update: after getting my 2nd Refresh and being quite happy with it for several months, unfortunately some liquid was spilled on it and it stopped working. Fortunately, I have the insurance on it. Paid my $50, filed a claim, guess what? The phone Asurian sent is a NON-Refresh. Called them back and explained the situation, they said they have no way to track whether they are sending the original Glyde or Refresh. They did agree to send me out a NEW (not refurb'd) unit, which arrived yesterday. STILL not the Refresh. Now they are telling me that if I want to try another Glyde, they will start charging me $20/ea MORE to cover their costs.

    Despite the three months of bliss I had when using my second Refresh, I maintain this is absolutely the WORST PHONE EVER.

Bookmarks