Thread: Omnia - Voice Command - Talking Caller ID

Feedback Score

Omnia - Voice Command - Talking Caller ID

Hi can anyone

1) Confirm that the Talking Caller ID works on the Verizon Omnia., and

2.) Explain how it works..i.e. on typical Verizon LG phones, the phone will speak the caller ID/number and then play the set ring tone. Does the Omnia do this, or does it simply repeat the caller ID/number...

Thanks

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just tried it, and it works. If you go to Settings, then Voice Command, you check Enabled, and then you select all the different items, and change the Options and Notifications for each item. For example you select Phone, and then Notification, and you have to choose whether you want it to announce the number only if you have a headset, or just the regular phone speaker, or both. Then when you get a call, it plays the ringtone and the voice at the same time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Solange82200
    I just tried it, and it works. If you go to Settings, then Voice Command, you check Enabled, and then you select all the different items, and change the Options and Notifications for each item. For example you select Phone, and then Notification, and you have to choose whether you want it to announce the number only if you have a headset, or just the regular phone speaker, or both. Then when you get a call, it plays the ringtone and the voice at the same time.
    Since it plays at the same time..can you make out the voice? Thanks

And overall, how do you like the phone? I have an LG 8300 and am just so afraid of giving up the simplicity and reliability of a rock solid dumbphone? Thanks

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, you can make it out fine. The ringtone I had at the time was just one of the ones that come with the phone, which is just music, no lyrics. If you have an actual song on there as a ringtone with someone singing, I can imagine it will be a clusterf*ck of words lol, so I wouldn't do that. I absolutely adore this phone. Keep in mind that the battery life isn't as good as a dumbphone, but if you don't use that apps and internet alot, it should last you just fine.

I was over in the Storm thread the other day, and this guy was asking if he should get the Omnia or the Storm, and people were totally bashing the Omnia left and right, saying they had had it before the Storm, and hated it, that its so horrible, blah blah blah. I dont get it at all, I love the phone and everything about it. I was really shocked to see all those comments. I guess everyone is different, you may have to try it out and see what you think.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Solange82200
    If you have an actual song on there as a ringtone with someone singing, I can imagine it will be a clusterf*ck of words lol, so I wouldn't do that.
    I believe it briefly drops the volume of the ringtone while announcing the caller. I have no trouble understanding it.

The only problem I'm having is it's not announcing over my bluetooth earpiece even when I set it to do so. Might be because my bluetooth is very old...

-Ben

Feedback Score
    I am using iFOnz and S2U2 together on my Omnia. iFonz works super. But with Caller ID on, it freezes when there is a call or message.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BQst
    The only problem I'm having is it's not announcing over my bluetooth earpiece even when I set it to do so. Might be because my bluetooth is very old...

-Ben
    This is my biggest gripe with this feature. While it does work well in announcing the caller, it does NOT seem to output the signal on either the wired headset OR a BT headset. It will always only announce over the handset's speaker regardless of the settings (on the Omnia, each type of notification can have a different action, but the "Bluetooth if Available", "Bluetooth Only", "Speaker" settings all seem to be ignored for the "Phone" event) which completely defeats the purpose IMO. I want to be able to leave the phone in my briefcase or backpack or jacket or whatever and hear the caller name/number before deciding to take the call on my headset. I do not believe that it is a BT issue since both the Omnia and my LG enV2 operate the same way. No caller announce over the wired or BT headsets - only over the handset speaker. What is the point in this feature if this is the way it works? Or am I missing something?

Device(s)
    Motorola A855 Droid
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I actually am not satisfied with the caller ID announce function on this phone. I went from the LG Voyager to this and that phone announced the number so much better. This one the announcement is so much quieter. Also I use it to announce my text messages and it actually reads the entire message. It is funny sometimes to hear it mispronounce words, but when I'm out it can be embarrassing.

Feedback Score
    The problem that I have is there is no listing for Voice Command under settings, or anywhere else that I can find, I have attempted to load other caller ID apps but none will say the name of the caller. Sometimes after I disconnect I get a listing for the number I just spoke with. All other Samsung phone that I have say the name as listed in the contact list on the first or second ring. Can anyone explain how to find this listing. I have all ready done a "hard boot" twice on this phone.