Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Skype to Iphone generates tide waves

Device(s)
    Galaxy S II
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't think it's "banned" over 3G, just not capable yet. Who knows, it could be completely possible, but that's the reason we're given right now. They're not outlawing Skype over 3G, it's just not supported. There will be ways around it, just like everything else. Skype chat over 3G works perfectly fine.

Device(s)
    Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    SPCS
    Feedback Score
    Nope, it's banned:

(http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...e-iphone_N.htm)

Jim Cicconi, AT&T's top public policy executive, says AT&T has "every right" not to promote the services of a wireless rival.

"We absolutely expect our vendors" — Apple, in this case — "not to facilitate the services of our competitors," he says.

"Skype is a competitor, just like Verizon (VZ) or Sprint (S) or T-Mobile," he says, adding, Skype "has no obligation to market AT&T services. Why should the reverse be true?"
    There is no *technical* reason why Skype wouldn't run over 3g. There are people running Skypeout over 3g using jailbroken iPhones, I think. I know from personal experience that other SIP applications, e.g., Truephone in my case, run perfectly well over ATTM 3g.

---
    Sprint legacy plan: LG V20 (me)|iPhone 6 (spouse)|iPhone 6s (kid1)|SGS7 (kid2)|iPhone 5s (backup line)
    ---

Device(s)
    iPhone 2.2, 1st Gen
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think ATT is just protecting what's their's. I think someone said what skype is doing is like Domino is baking pizaa in Pizza hut's oven. but again, you are paying for that data package so why do they care what I'm doing with it? I have 2G so, I don't care either way..

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Skype for Windows Mobile phones have been pounding AT&T's network for years. Not sure why AT&T is getting there panties in a knot. Did Apple piss off AT&T by approving Skype? Sure looks like it.

Guess Apple knows AT&T needs the iPhone more then the iPhone needs AT&T. The iPhone has made a customer base to where Apple could just sell it without a AT&T contract.
    Go here to participate in changing Canada's Digital Future! http://de-en.gc.ca/home/

Canada's Net Neutrality Petition http://www.saveournet.ca/

Dissolve the CRTC! http://dissolvethecrtc.ca/

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony2468
    Skype for Windows Mobile phones have been pounding AT&T's network for years. Not sure why AT&T is getting there panties in a knot. Did Apple piss off AT&T by approving Skype? Sure looks like it.
    Skype for WinMos in the past have been limited to wifi, edge just did not cut it. As well, I assume that its really been a novelty with previous phones and did not really cut into any carriers bottom line too much , now with more capable phones and the download rate for skype, its now cutting into their margins somewhat.

I can only again assume that the amount of people that are downloading the application for the iPhone has not hit the magic number, where if AT&T wants to ban folks for using it, they would be terminating a huge percentage of their subscriber base, so they have to try and kill it now.

Tux
    My twitter id @tuxxer

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What are the advantages of using Skype versus Siax or Siphon? I am currently using Siax and happy with it. However I might consider switching if Skype has some advantages.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    I don't quite understand how Skype works. So you have to pay a monthly fee to call landlines (though I know it's MUCH cheaper than regular providers), but how do incoming calls work? Do you have to pay for that too?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (alas)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony2468

Guess Apple knows AT&T needs the iPhone more then the iPhone needs AT&T. The iPhone has made a customer base to where Apple could just sell it without a AT&T contract.
    Windows Mobile haven't been pounding AT&T's network with much of anything. Web browsing is also an option for WinMo, but iPhone users do ten times as much browsing as WinMo users even though they have roughly equal market share.

Translation: people actually *use* their iPhones full potential. WinMo phones' users -- not so much. Skype may have been on WinMo for a while, but not enough people were using it for AT&T or anyone else to take notice.

As for any Apple vs. AT&T fight over VOIP: unlikely. Apple specifically said that VOIP over WiFi would be permitted when they announced the iPhone SDK a year ago. No surprise of any kind here.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted13
    Skype may have been on WinMo for a while, but not enough people were using it for AT&T or anyone else to take notice.
    Skype for WM has been using VOIP on AT&T's network for years. You may be right not many customers where using Skype on WM but it was avalible and AT&T knew about it, but did nothing to stop it. My point is that if AT&T was serious about protecting their buisness, then they should have done it years ago when Skype first came out for WM.

In all honesty, if this went to the courts, a judge would look at this fact. My feelling is that AT&T will have to be forced to split up it's wireless buisness into cellular and ISP.
    Last edited by Tony2468; 04-07-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Feedback Score

love my skype on iphone

Haha!

I just turn my cell network to airplane mode. Turn wifi on and skype away!

HAHA Rogers/ Fido ! Wifi is everywhere in the big cities.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for these vulture providers up here in the land of coffee and donuts!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darn
    Haha!

I just turn my cell network to airplane mode. Turn wifi on and skype away!

HAHA Rogers/ Fido ! Wifi is everywhere in the big cities.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for these vulture providers up here in the land of coffee and donuts!
    I wish , somehow they have gotten skype to be the ones that say that they cant bring it to Canada for patent reasons, the big three have this innocent look thats says , what us ? we did'nt ban anything.

Tux

Device(s)
    Main: Black iPhone 4 32gb, Back-up: Black iPhone 3G 8gb
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & unfortunately AT&T
    Feedback Score
    the whole voip over 3g thing is why ATT doesnt have data-only plans. You could easily set it up to have skype running indefinitely in the background over 3g and receive\send unlimited calls for less than $6 a month

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Like I've been saying, WM phones have had Skype for years and you can run Skype in the background on a WM phone.

As the Technology gets better this is how mobile calling will be, VOIP on a data only plan.

AT&T and the gang are hell bent on slowing/stoping these advancements, which is a real shame.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The thing is, land line phone companies weren't able to get away with now people from using modems. And hard line ISPs don't get away with not allowing VOIP (or anything for that matter) over their internet connections.

How is it wireless has a completely different set of standards?

What gives AT&T the right to restrict anti-competitive use of their internet connection such as VOIP?

They should be trying to figure out how to sell us VOIP so they make money rather than fight it.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Isn't there really bad lag with VoIP over 3G?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast