Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye but not farewell

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs - 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Goodbye but not farewell

Well guys, the time has come like several other former PPC members, I have decided to leave WM behind. My new choice of device is the iPhone. I find the iPhone to be a breath of fresh air and even though the features are not quite as extensive as my myriad of WM devices, I feel 3.0 will be a great addition and bring the platform very close to the standards that I want in a device. I also find everything about the iPhone so much smoother and better integrated than any WM device.

To be honest Wm 6.5 does nothing for me. I am also pretty fed up with HTC's shenanigans with driver issues, non-upgradeable devices, and the continual use of Qualcomm tech even for the next gen devices like the Diamond 2. I also have been very impress at the way Apple has dealt with the upgrade issues by giving them away for free (to 3G users) and the fact that the upgrade process is 10x smoother and any WM process. Sure, Apple can get away with it because of the single hardware platform but I figure that I like the form factor, so the issues of kb's and such is no big deal.

But anyways, I am looking forward to WM7 to see what MS will bring to the table. Maybe by then MS will have gotten WM to work as smoothly on all platforms and form factors and even somehow get updates out to consumers without the bull that we have all had to deal with in the past. Sure, its a tall order, but MS needs to work this out to gain back consumer confidence which it has lost throughout the years. Yes, I know WM devices still continue to sell well in the market, but anyone that argues that WM doesn't have a consumer perception problem is just fooling themselves.

Like I said, this is goodbye but not farewell. I will be certainly be stopping by especially when the Diamond and TP 2 make their debut to see what you guys think about them. Too bad they will be debuting with 6.1 and not going directly to 6.5. Oh and some kick *** graphics acceleration would be nice too, but people shouldn't be holding their breath.

See you guys on the boards.
    PDA Lineage
    Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3),Imate K-Jam,Treo 750, HTC Touch Cruise, HTC Touch Diamond(US),iPhone 3G 16GB,iPhone 3GS 16GB

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Can it hippie. Call me and tell me what time you want to come in.
    @Maevro

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Jerry you geezer!!! LOL, I'm glad you have somethign that makes you happy. I jus implemented the TP2's TF3D onto my Fuze and it's amazing. I personally don't see myself going anywhere anytime soon as this is my preferred form factor. I may buy a Nokia N97 but as a 2nd phone.

EDIT: Mark!! Call me @ 6pm PST (9PM ur time!)
    From the HTC Magician to the One X, I'm one of the HTC OG's.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs - 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hippie and Geezer, eh? Glad to see I am so loved!

Device(s)
    32gb iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Telcel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JNGold
    Hippie and Geezer, eh? Glad to see I am so loved!
    Hey dude . . . much love to you !!!

You know the way I think , and how I feel about WM , it really is a shame that they don't wake up and smell the beans , they really should wake up and come up with something useful , that doesn't need to much tweaking , and of course not a lot of hacking , but like Mike says . . . to each it's own , I am sure glad you left the WM boat , I know there are some hard core fans of WM out there , and of course this is a WM forum , I do come around here , because I just love you guys , but I am not into WM at all , like I said , good luck with the iPhone you made the right choice , WM is going to be old news if they don't make an effort , good bye now . . . you Hippie Geezer

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless™
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    JN: You are leaving WM just when I've decided to give another go. Had two iPhone 3Gs, but never really got used to the virtual keyboard and the lack of copy/paste. However, a physical KB will get me back to Apple. BTW, have you tried the Nokia E71 and Blackberry Bold? Both excellent devices too! Remember: Don't upgrade to the latest baseband if you wanna unlock using Yellowsnow (unless they've updated it to fix)

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs - 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sabesh
    JN: You are leaving WM just when I've decided to give another go. Had two iPhone 3Gs, but never really got used to the virtual keyboard and the lack of copy/paste. However, a physical KB will get me back to Apple. BTW, have you tried the Nokia E71 and Blackberry Bold? Both excellent devices too! Remember: Don't upgrade to the latest baseband if you wanna unlock using Yellowsnow (unless they've updated it to fix)
    I really don't like physical kb devices! A good soft keyboard is all I need.

Device(s)
    HTC EVO 3D
    Carrier(s)
    the now network
    Feedback Score
    as edward from msmobiles would say "your dumping windows mobile for the fruit phone, i cant believe this" personally i have tried the iphone had it for a few weeks then sold it for a winmo device. why with all its issues i still like how it preforms compared to the mac os and symbian devices. i guess overall its sad to see a winmo "Geezer" leave for another platform

Device(s)
    Main Use: iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    JNGold, I can't say that I blame you. I'll probably be right behind you after Apple releases the next iPhone. Maybe I'll see you around the Apple forum, or the Lexus boards!
    CURRENT ITEMS FOR SALE:

My feedback thread

Device(s)
    Telstra HD2 on ATT 3G
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm. Well I can't say I don't like the iPhone because I do. I own 3 of them. LOL. But every time and I mean EVERY TIME I've tried using it as my "main phone"(which is at least 3 or 4 times) I keep missing a certain feature from WinMo. But that's me. I like having my upcoming appts on my today screen although Lock Calendar for jailbroken iPhones kind of solves that. But I also love having a single button on my Today screen that takes me right into creating a new appt. I use my phone for a lot of calendar and appt./reminder stuff. To make a new appt on the iPhone just annoys the heck out of me! It's so time consuming. Yeah, maybe a few seconds longer, haha. But that's a few seconds every single time. I can't stand it! Then, what really urks me is when I suggest an app(of which there isn't one unbelievably) that would sit on the springboard and when pressed when go straight to making a new appt in a more STREAMLINE manner than what the iPhone calender does people start saying "what do you need that for". I can't stand the closed mindedness of the iPhone community.

Also, CAN I GET A SOFTWARE POWER OFF BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not stand that power button on top of the iPhone. I love that I can turn it on with the home button but I am FORCED to turn it off EVERY TIME(which is a lot) with that hard to reach power button. And again, every time I ask why there isn't a software power off button people in the iPhone community say "what do you need that for, just hit the power button on top?". OMFG I could honestly kill them. Hahah. Seriously any WinMo Pro user knows there are a bunch of on screen software power off button programs. And we know their value. It's so simple... Yet the iPhone community can not grasp it. I don't get it.

Anyway, that's how I feel. I am considering learning how to program for the iPhone just so I can solve my own problems with it.

Oh another nice feature I love is, plug into mini usb and bam, USB hard drive. No need for itunes or other crap. I use that "feature" a lot.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs - 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by juiceppc
    Hmmm. Well I can't say I don't like the iPhone because I do. I own 3 of them. LOL. But every time and I mean EVERY TIME I've tried using it as my "main phone"(which is at least 3 or 4 times) I keep missing a certain feature from WinMo. But that's me. I like having my upcoming appts on my today screen although Lock Calendar for jailbroken iPhones kind of solves that. But I also love having a single button on my Today screen that takes me right into creating a new appt. I use my phone for a lot of calendar and appt./reminder stuff. To make a new appt on the iPhone just annoys the heck out of me! It's so time consuming. Yeah, maybe a few seconds longer, haha. But that's a few seconds every single time. I can't stand it! Then, what really urks me is when I suggest an app(of which there isn't one unbelievably) that would sit on the springboard and when pressed when go straight to making a new appt in a more STREAMLINE manner than what the iPhone calender does people start saying "what do you need that for". I can't stand the closed mindedness of the iPhone community.

Also, CAN I GET A SOFTWARE POWER OFF BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not stand that power button on top of the iPhone. I love that I can turn it on with the home button but I am FORCED to turn it off EVERY TIME(which is a lot) with that hard to reach power button. And again, every time I ask why there isn't a software power off button people in the iPhone community say "what do you need that for, just hit the power button on top?". OMFG I could honestly kill them. Hahah. Seriously any WinMo Pro user knows there are a bunch of on screen software power off button programs. And we know their value. It's so simple... Yet the iPhone community can not grasp it. I don't get it.

Anyway, that's how I feel. I am considering learning how to program for the iPhone just so I can solve my own problems with it.

Oh another nice feature I love is, plug into mini usb and bam, USB hard drive. No need for itunes or other crap. I use that "feature" a lot.
    Yeah I hear ya juice, but things just flow so much smoother and more consistent on the iPhone than any WM phone I have ever used. I am willing to give up some of the above for the smoothness of the OS. I just got tired of hacking the crap of out of WM devices just to make them usuable. Then what would happen is that I would have so much crap running in the background that using things like Opera or other apps would cause some of the other stuff to close down. Plus, as good as XDA is (and I have gotten some great apps), is it one big beta repository. That's great when you want to play around but when you need an app to work on your day to day phone, it sometimes doesn't cut the mustard.

Overall, I just needed a change. After 8 years of using nothing but WM I think I deserve it.

Device(s)
    Telstra HD2 on ATT 3G
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I think as soon as a software power off button and a quick appt maker comes out I may switch for a while longer...

So basically I'm only two "apps" away from it. Two very useful apps that have been available on WinMo for the longest time just cant' seem to get the support in the iPhone community. It's crazy. I REALLY wish I knew how to program for it. Think about it if there was a software power off button the need for the "power button" on top would not be required. Heck I'd even love to shut off the iPhone by double clicking the home button. But for some reason no one(not even jailbroken) has been able to assign shut off to that...

You gotta admit though that the SMS program on the iPhone can take an awful long time to open up a lot of the times. That kind of annoys me too.

Also for a while there I never used Opera mobile on my WinMo phones but once I did I love it and don't miss Safari at all. And Safari was one of the biggest draws for me. But the large screen in the iPhone and with HTC leaving U.S. bands out(Touch HD) there's really no option for us in the U.S. for a large screen device with WinMo.

I dunno I like both platforms right now and am torn between the two.

:sigh:

BTW JN I ordered this case/cover for my 3G for $2.57 shipped.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14367

Yeah you read that right. If you're not aware of dealextreme(which you may be) it'll change your opinion on trade with China. Haha.

Anyway it's a rubberized back "cover" that snaps on pretty good and adds hardly any size at all. I like it. There's also another one I've used for my 2G that they have for the 3G that I haven't tried yet.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14525

The one I use for my 2G is great. It offers more protection and is "rubberized" but adds a bit more size. Oh, and it's $2.99 shipped.

It usually takes me about 3 weeks though to receive stuff from them. But it's worth it. They also have good iPhone screen protectors for like 2 bucks.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless™
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JNGold
    Yeah I hear ya juice, but things just flow so much smoother and more consistent on the iPhone than any WM phone I have ever used. I am willing to give up some of the above for the smoothness of the OS <snip>
    My Xperia runs so smoothly with ITJE's Manilla based custom ROM. It really is incredible. No stagger/pauses when scrolling etc. Everything is touch-optimized. And I find Fingerboard 2 quite easy to use when too lazy to slide out the KB Combine this with SE's Panels, the experience is great!

Device(s)
    iphone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    I've been very boring this last year. Running a stock treo pro. But, I gotta tell ya, it gets the job done. I've said this the past couple years...but I still feel this way "I love when my device works for me, not the other way around". I'm very productive/efficient with it these days.

I still remember the days of wasting hours per day trying to tweak my phone to get it to do something...only to get it perfect (ie WAD,Wisbar,etc...) and then hard reset it the next day b/c it ran at a snail's pace. Fast and clean is the way I've been running the past year+.

Saying that, I know why the draw to use iphone...the screen alone is amazing.
    Mike

Eph 2.8

Feedback Score
    Jerry, I'll be honest: I've been silent up to now in this thread because I didn't want to sound like a nay-sayer, but yeah, I think you've made the wrong decision. And you'll soon realize it.

Sure, the iPhone works nice and smooth out of the box. Sure, she seems to have all the bells and whistles. And yeah, when you take her out, she'll be the talk of the party, with everyone pointing and asking, "Who is that, and how did Jerry score her?"

But eventually you'll see how boring she is. Yeah, she's smooth, she's beautiful, but she does the same damn jig over and over again. Yeah, she's got apps, but those apps only skim the surface, none of them go deep -- just the same thing, day in, day out. And that's what you need, Jerry. You need excitement. You need scintillating tweaks. You need beautiful apps that go deep. Deep.

You'll be back to Windows Mobile, Jerry. She multitasks. Her code is deeply threaded. Her skin will change to whatever you want. She'll do whatever you ask of her, yet still look pretty in the office.

You know you want it, Jerry. You know it. You'll be back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast