Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have Vodafone UK PAYT SIM in USA - not activating

Carrier(s)
    US: T-Mobile, AT&T; CA: Rogers, Bell
    Feedback Score

Unhappy Have Vodafone UK PAYT SIM in USA - not activating

I purchased a brand-new Vodafone UK Pay as You Talk SIM on eBay and just received it, but can't activate it here in the US. Is it required for the user to be in the UK first before activating. I did not receive a phone number for the SIM in the package. The only number that worked was '5555' (Vodafone Passport - I was able to activate that oddly but not the line itself). All other calls, including to Customer services do not go through and the phone instantly hangs up when I try to make the call.

Thanks to whoever can help me out...

Device(s)
    IP4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido/Rogers
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    perhaps u can call vodafone from another line and explain the situation, they may be able to activate your sim independently from their end...

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...ageID=PCU_0001

edit:email option also available!!

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    E-mail doesn't work as you get a form with required fields being a UK home & mobile phone number as well as address. Guess I'm going to have to call them & hope they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by a in yul
    perhaps u can call vodafone from another line and explain the situation, they may be able to activate your sim independently from their end...

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...ageID=PCU_0001

edit:email option also available!!

Device(s)
    IP4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido/Rogers
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    good luck, the other option is to look up carphonewarehouse and send them an email; they sell multiple brands phones and services...

good luck!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (USA)
    Feedback Score
    This is occurring because the SIM is not in an active state. You simply just need to activate the SIM card by topping up £5 or more. If you have any sort of contact in the UK have them purchase an e-voucher for £5, then dial '2345' from the mobile phone to top up. If dialing '2345' doesn't work, try manually changing to another network, as some roaming networks do not allow direct dialing/short codes. I suggest selecting AT&T, as I can confirm that Vodafone short codes do work. You can retrieve the mobile number assigned to the SIM card by dialing *#100#. This can be done before topping up to activate. Once you have the mobile number you should then be able to register on the Vodafone website. Hope this helps.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phearz
    This is occurring because the SIM is not in an active state. You simply just need to activate the SIM card by topping up £5 or more. If you have any sort of contact in the UK have them purchase an e-voucher for £5, then dial '2345' from the mobile phone to top up. If dialing '2345' doesn't work, try manually changing to another network, as some roaming networks do not allow direct dialing/short codes. I suggest selecting AT&T, as I can confirm that Vodafone short codes do work. You can retrieve the mobile number assigned to the SIM card by dialing *#100#. This can be done before topping up to activate. Once you have the mobile number you should then be able to register on the Vodafone website. Hope this helps.
    *#100# did not work for getting the number. Are you sure that there doesn't already need to be credit on the account before doing that? The message I get on my Sony Ericsson Z750a is 'Network problem'. This was tried on both the 3G & 2G AT&T networks.

Should I try to top up first & see if it then works? Remember this is a brand-new SIM that has never been activated yet - just stuck in my phones. I do not plan on being in the UK any time soon and got the SIM for a possible cheaper data option for use in Canada (4.99 GBP/MiB really is cheaper than 0.01 USD/KiB at current exchange rates).

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (USA)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam917
    *#100# did not work for getting the number. Are you sure that there doesn't already need to be credit on the account before doing that? The message I get on my Sony Ericsson Z750a is 'Network problem'. This was tried on both the 3G & 2G AT&T networks.

Should I try to top up first & see if it then works? Remember this is a brand-new SIM that has never been activated yet - just stuck in my phones. I do not plan on being in the UK any time soon and got the SIM for a possible cheaper data option for use in Canada (4.99 GBP/MiB really is cheaper than 0.01 USD/KiB at current exchange rates).
    That's really strange. I have used *#100# to retrieve the mobile number before on SIM cards that haven't been activated by a top-up. They behave almost exactly as you describe, however you can still call the top-up line and retrieve the mobile number. The only thing I can suggest is if you can reach the top-up line, go ahead and try doing a top-up and see if you can then retrieve the number. The worst case scenario is you're out the £5, but I really don't see any other option at this point.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Is there a way I can top-up from the US with a US credit card? If I call the top-up line would the system readily accept a US credit card? If not, what other options do I have?

Device(s)
    HTC Hero
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam917
    Is there a way I can top-up from the US with a US credit card? If I call the top-up line would the system readily accept a US credit card? If not, what other options do I have?
    Since no one has replied to you, I'm not sure about vodafone, but I know with T-mobile UK that you can't top up online with a US credit card. You need to have a UK card to do it. Vodafone may be different. Go ahead and try online. The worst thing that could happen is that the site will reject your card.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by frankbrown
    Since no one has replied to you, I'm not sure about vodafone, but I know with T-mobile UK that you can't top up online with a US credit card. You need to have a UK card to do it. Vodafone may be different. Go ahead and try online. The worst thing that could happen is that the site will reject your card.
    When I try to register the number, I receive a code text but the code doesn't work on the site, also they want a UK address. Is there any way to purchase Vodafone top-up vouchers outside the UK (or outside the EU/Vodafone's territory)?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't know about UK, but I topped up online a Vodafone.ie card with a US CC.

Now just for $hhits and giggles, can anyone use their Vodafone prepaid on ATT? All I get is a network busy tone/message. On T-mobile works fine.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Vodafone prepaid works great on AT&T. Shortcodes are free, but roaming charges are pretty outrageous (several $$/min)! I suspect there's something wrong with your SIM. It should just work.

As far as refill (top up) cards, if you don't know anyone in the UK that can help you out it's easiest to buy one on eBay. Credit cards do not work in my experience.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF
    Vodafone prepaid works great on AT&T. Shortcodes are free, but roaming charges are pretty outrageous (several $$/min)! I suspect there's something wrong with your SIM. It should just work.

As far as refill (top up) cards, if you don't know anyone in the UK that can help you out it's easiest to buy one on eBay. Credit cards do not work in my experience.
    Shortcodes work fine and so do incoming calls. Outgoing calls don't. I gotta give CS a call
    Last edited by Nodakawa; 06-18-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodakawa
    Shortcodes work fine and so do incoming calls. Outgoing calls don't. I gotta give CS a call
    Sounds like you either don't have sufficient balance on your line or intl. roaming is not provisioned.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF
    Sounds like you either don't have sufficient balance on your line or intl. roaming is not provisioned.
    I'm not quite that amateur The account balance is 98 Euros and roaming is enabled. Works just fine on T-Mobile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast