Thread: International roaming: Do you get charged if the number you dial is busy?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

International roaming: Do you get charged if the number you dial is busy?

I'm in the UK right now and decided to just roam rather than unlock my iPhone 3G and purchase a SIM as I don't plan on using my phone much. But I just tried calling my folks back in the states and the number was busy. Will I be charged for that call? Just need to know so I can know whether I can keep trying to call them or just wait awhile. Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No you won't be. For your next trip, I would really recommend that you buy a prepaid sim from 3. I was just in the UK last week and they sell 1gb of prepaid data for about 10 pounds..sure beats AT&T rates!

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Dude! Watch out for those international voice and DATA rates.
    http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/po...l=calltoaction
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I am well aware of the rates. I have disabled data roaming, have sent only a few texts, and made a total of 2 minutes worth of phone calls so far. I'm on top of things.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Be careful, you might get charged if the call lasts more than 30 seconds from when you press <Send> and when you press <End>.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Nokia E63 & Razr V9
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You get charged busy or not, no ans or not. While in Germany I bought an Ortel SIM and while in the shop I noticed they had gobs of used phones for E10 each. They were noce ones too. You could perhaps get something like that and a SIM and just use that. I would NOT trust using an Iphone overseas due to how they do so much with data you don't even realise. You may find yourself with a bill that could bankrupt you

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless (postpaid),
    Feedback Score
    You shouldn't get charged for a busy. At least I wasn't while in Europe. But be careful, if you leave your phone on and it rings but you don't answer and just let the call go to voicemail, chances are you'll be charged for that incoming call even if you didn't pick up. To avoid that, leave the phone off or in airplane mode while not using it, unless you need to receive calls.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cingtd
    Be careful, you might get charged if the call lasts more than 30 seconds from when you press <Send> and when you press <End>.
    That is correct. If the circuit is connected for more than 30 s, you can get charged, even if it's busy.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by burgerwars
    But be careful, if you leave your phone on and it rings but you don't answer and just let the call go to voicemail, chances are you'll be charged for that incoming call even if you didn't pick up. To avoid that, leave the phone off or in airplane mode while not using it, unless you need to receive calls.
    Actually, you'll be charged for the forwarded portion of that call from your handset back to your voicemail system in the US. But it's a good point and something to be aware of when roaming internationally.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yg17
    Thanks. I am well aware of the rates. I have disabled data roaming, have sent only a few texts, and made a total of 2 minutes worth of phone calls so far. I'm on top of things.

I hope you also changed the "Fetch new data" setting from Push to manual, otherwise your phone will use data while roaming internationally.
    "Buying a refurbished phone is like getting fast food from the McDonald's dumpster"