Thread: 3G only, no EDGE connection??

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

3G only, no EDGE connection??

I always keep my phone on edge, until I need to do some serious browsing..
    For the past 2 days, I only get phone service, but no data when I switch to EDGE.
    If I want ANY DATA AT ALL, i have to switch back to 3G.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a fix?

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    it is not a problem at all.
    who needs EDGE wnen 3G is available
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Device(s)
    Iphone 2g Jailbroken/Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Why not just use 3g? I dont there is any difference in power usuage between Edge & 3g

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geedothill
    Why not just use 3g? I dont there is any difference in power usuage between Edge & 3g

I've actually noticed a huge difference in battery life while using Edge over 3G. And I know others have also.
    I know it's been discussed before. I'm actually surprised from the last two replies. 3G is a power eater on my phone.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by uesnyc
    I've actually noticed a huge difference in battery life while using Edge over 3G. And I know others have also.
    I know it's been discussed before. I'm actually surprised from the last two replies. 3G is a power eater on my phone.
    I tested many times, no much power usage difference between 3G and EDGE , when it is in standby mode.
    G1 itself sucks for the weak battery.
    My another t-mobile 3G phone (TM-506) usually one charge can stay 3 to 4 days on 3G (H) network.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Dash (about to resell)
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Coolphone has a serious grudge on the G1 lol. I think he sold his G1 within a week of having it and has been coming back to the boards ever since talking it down ever since. That's a serious obsession!

Anyways,

Regardless of battery life on Edge/3G, I can tell you that I have NOT personally experienced your problem with no data over Edge with some minor exceptions when no 3G was available so I don't know if it was Edge specific problem.

Sounds like something could be wrong with your APN settings or something, not really sure. If you can afford it, do a system restore on the phone and see if it fixes it. You might also try just removing the SIM card and putting it back in. Sometimes that helps reactivate things. Its also possible your EDGE might be roaming on an ATT tower, so make sure data while roaming is turned on (no extra charges of course).

Good luck!!

In regards to battery life. I keep an extra battery with me, but mostly don't need it thruought the day. If I use the phone alot the battery dies. If i don't use it, i get a whole day of standby EASY.

That samsung phone is a simple little phone without much power to it. Its going to have standard cell phone battery life. There's really no comparison.