Thread: Data usage outside of home region

Feedback Score

Data usage outside of home region

I'm sorry if this has been asked before (the search feature crashed on me with a MySQL error, so yes, I've tried that), but I'm wondering...

If I use data on my smartphone (N95-8G w/ 1 GB data plan) outside of my home region (but still in Canada, and within my province), do long distance charges apply? I can't seem to find any mention of something like that anywhere on the Fido site.

This is especially important for me as my phone has applications running in the background constantly (push email; podcast downloads, twitter/facebook updates); it's essentially always connected to the internet.

I'd hate to be unexpectedly billed long-distance for every single minute my phone is outside of its home zone!

Also, while we're at it, perhaps one of you Fido experts can answer this other question... I think the place I'm going is a Fido 3G zone, I'm not certain. I only use EDGE anyways (I've got the European N95-8G, ; not that I care, EDGE's plenty fast for what I use it for). Is EDGE available only in the same zones as 3G? I can't find any EDGE coverage maps... Am I to assume it's pretty much everywhere the normal signal goes?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G white
    Carrier(s)
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    There is no roaming charges on Data as long as your phone displays, Rogers or Fido.

Feedback Score
    Great!

Now, to find a SIP-based VoIP service to avoid long-distance charges!

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guizzy
    Great!

Now, to find a SIP-based VoIP service to avoid long-distance charges!
    I've used EDGE before and tested it with VoIP and VoIP over EDGE is very bad (I don't recommend it). I recommend trying to get a 3G phone before attempting to use VoIP with your phone.

Even with 3G, there are sometimes problems (cutting out words in the middle of sentences). With EDGE, it is a lot worse.
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: Netgear Aircard LTE Mobile Hotspot

My Tech Blog

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Priv VeniceNA
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile/Telus
    Feedback Score
    Or you can try Nimbuzz. I think how it works is that it'll retrieve your contacts on Skype, and you can call contacts by calling a toll-free number. They claim it's free and only cost is your local minutes.

I couldn't get the full version to work on my phone to try for myself, though.