Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Palm Pre release info from Sprint rep

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    700
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NoToRiOuS1
    i know that its a double edged sword for sprint and palm but if there was an approximate wait of 4-6 months, then why not just wait until march or april or a month before the actual release to talk about it and announce it?

    i want the pre but i can see that my interest in the unit will wane, even if its just a bit, if the phone isn't released until june (which it seems like will likely happen).
    Because CES doesn't happen in March or April and Palm would be stupid not to make an announcement at CES. Besides, why is this even new? What new product has been announced a month before launch? Especially flagship products all have been announced at least 6 months if not to a year in advance of the launch. Look at the BB Bold, Storm, Nokia N97, lets not even talk about the Xperia. Like others have said, the only people know of these announcements are people in the industry and forum junkies which constitute about what, maybe 5% of the population who are going to buy these phones. Most buyers buy WHEN they actually see it in stores.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    200
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger
    Because CES doesn't happen in March or April and Palm would be stupid not to make an announcement at CES. Besides, why is this even new? What new product has been announced a month before launch? .
    Most new phones are announced by carrier on day of launch or a few weeks before. the big exceptions and really identical product tracks are Pre and Instinct. Sure stuff leaks out but big announcements a few months bvefore are really really RARE.

    There are very big shows in April like CTIA. Sprints last Iphone killer was announced at CTIA at a joint Sprint Samsung conference, where Samsung brought out and demoed the alpha and Hess took over the presentation keying in on ARPU and simply everything in his first fiew words -- just like Pre.

    Instinct won the CTIA "best in show" and got about as much coverage as Pre has.

    Sprint also with the Instinct took the unusual step of immediately listing it on its site banner with a page that took you to a email sign up.

    It took about four months to come to market and then got killed by the announcement of new iphone models just when Sprint was ready to launch a 200 million dollar campaign comparing it to the old iphone.

    Now as far as bringing it out at CES when the development cycle was probably targeting Fall 09? Because Sprint was slipping faster and faster in the capital markets and especially Palm was near death. The 100 million investment by Elevation partners on December 22 to prevent default was probably contingent on moving the Pre forward as immediately as possible. Hence the late decision to show at CES. It wasn't unprecedented secrecy that caused the surprise it is the fact that they were not leaking in Nov and DEc because their expectation was to probably to announce in late spring or summer.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    237
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aero4
    Most new phones are announced by carrier on day of launch or a few weeks before. the big exceptions and really identical product tracks are Pre and Instinct. Sure stuff leaks out but big announcements a few months bvefore are really really RARE.

    There are very big shows in April like CTIA. Sprints last Iphone killer was announced at CTIA at a joint Sprint Samsung conference, where Samsung brought out and demoed the alpha and Hess took over the presentation keying in on ARPU and simply everything in his first fiew words -- just like Pre.

    Instinct won the CTIA "best in show" and got about as much coverage as Pre has.

    Sprint also with the Instinct took the unusual step of immediately listing it on its site banner with a page that took you to a email sign up.

    It took about four months to come to market and then got killed by the announcement of new iphone models just when Sprint was ready to launch a 200 million dollar campaign comparing it to the old iphone.

    Now as far as bringing it out at CES when the development cycle was probably targeting Fall 09? Because Sprint was slipping faster and faster in the capital markets and especially Palm was near death. The 100 million investment by Elevation partners on December 22 to prevent default was probably contingent on moving the Pre forward as immediately as possible. Hence the late decision to show at CES. It wasn't unprecedented secrecy that caused the surprise it is the fact that they were not leaking in Nov and DEc because their expectation was to probably to announce in late spring or summer.
    No matter what reasons I could think of it just didn't seem right but this makes sense...the whole bringing it out at CES due to each company's financial situation and not waiting until CITA. I'm just worried though because there are many rumors that they will be a new iphone/ipod touch announcement at the next mac expo or whatever the event is in june/july. I hope apple doesn't steal the spotlight from sprint and pre

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    1,809
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint (3rd party dealer plan) & (VZW $10 Conession line.)>Helio(50% off dealer plan)>ATT>T-MOB>VZW
    Feedback Score
    0
    Im sure they will steal a little of the limelite... But i mean c'mon how many more iphones can they sell? They areldy have about 25 mil out there. Also without video capture (i know its not annoucned for the pre yet either) or stereo bt...

    We will see tho. I myself am thinking late april to mid may (may 16ths my bday so hoping to get it for myself hahaha)

    They want to get it out a couple months before the new iphones , espically if they announce a iphone nano.

    I do know that the Instinct m810 (instinct mini) will be out in June.
    No one is responsible for my post but me! SCK

    ^^Compaq CQ50 thru MyTether WiFi^^^
    Pre Speedtest 6/15/09

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    200
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TMed_ATL
    Im sure they will steal a little of the limelite... But i mean c'mon how many more iphones can they sell? They areldy have about 25 mil out there. Also without video capture (i know its not annoucned for the pre yet either) or stereo bt...
    How many more ? a couple hundred million. There are like 1.3 billion mobile phones sold last year.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    260
    Device(s)
    Blackberry 8330
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    I can't see Apple doing a large refresh of the iPhone.


    All the updates i think they would need would just be software....why refresh the hardware? It certainly would not sell like the iPhone3G and unless they open up multi-tasking or something, most people are now content with their iPhones.

    I can certainly tell you Palm's WebOS is not in the same realm as Apple's goals for mobile OSX.
    Douggie B.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    237
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Thug541
    I can't see Apple doing a large refresh of the iPhone.


    All the updates i think they would need would just be software....why refresh the hardware? It certainly would not sell like the iPhone3G and unless they open up multi-tasking or something, most people are now content with their iPhones.

    I can certainly tell you Palm's WebOS is not in the same realm as Apple's goals for mobile OSX.
    there have been rumors of a possible hardware update and a mini iphone
    there was talk of using a faster/better proc
    i read that on engadget mobile i think?

    but i see your point...it will take a lot for apple to entice people to buy yet ANOTHER iphone...though i don't doubt their innovativeness and they just might pull through

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    700
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    The Pre will be similar to the 1st gen iphone in that its a completely new product with a brand new OS that cannot be found anywhere else. Subsequent revisions cannot be that dramatic other than making incremental changes.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    237
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger
    The Pre will be similar to the 1st gen iphone in that its a completely new product with a brand new OS that cannot be found anywhere else. Subsequent revisions cannot be that dramatic other than making incremental changes.
    Unfortunately, if the Treo model range is any indication, you may be right. Although, I'm hoping that Palm realized that people want a large touchscreen and keyboard isn't a necessity for everyone and comes out with a product to cater to that market.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    700
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well, Palm might make other phones with WebOS on it similar to its current lines with POS. Over time, Palm of course will make physical revisions like every other phone maker. Don't know if they will call it Pre or give it numbers like Treo 600, 650, 700...etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks