Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: 3G coming to Tri-Cities area, Michigan (Saginaw, Bay City, Midland)

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaldo
    Oh I see, I wish they had most of the metro Detroit area, which I believe they do because of the fact that AT&T is like primary the local telephone company here, fiber optic (u-verse) and Such. Also I have a friend in PA who has a HTC TILT and would like to see what freq he is on? How does he do that?
    fieldtest.exe in windows directory (show all files first).

can also try *#*#364#*#*

Then go to WCDMA page, report ServingUARFCN and report back here.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Oh I see, I wish they had most of the metro Detroit area, which I believe they do because of the fact that AT&T is like primary the local telephone company here, fiber optic (u-verse) and Such. Also I have a friend in PA who has a HTC TILT and would like to see what freq he is on? How does he do that?
    Yes, AT&T and Verizon are the two cellular carriers in the metro Detroit area as well as Flint. However, in the Saginaw area, Lansing area, and Grand Rapids area, Verizon now has both because of the acquisition of Alltel. In all three of those areas, AT&T only uses 1900 MHz. All other Michigan areas are AT&T 850 (once the Centennial buyout goes through). You can see that with this map: http://www.cellularmaps.com/regions/great_lakes.shtml

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    4384 is his number so hes on 850 I guess.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So is there anyway AT&T can get 850mhz spectrum even if Verizon has it later on in areas, or any other company? How about the 700mhz spec for 4G who has bought a lot of that lately?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So is there anyway AT&T can get 850mhz spectrum even if Verizon has it later on in areas, or any other company? How about the 700mhz spec for 4G who has bought a lot of that lately?
    I'm not sure. For the most part, I think Verizon will just keep both licenses. Since the government did not force them to sell it off, Verizon has no obligation to get rid of it. Since Verizon and Alltel had 2 of the best networks in Michigan, Verizon's now going to almost universally cover the state.

As for the 700 MHz licenses, Verizon purchased an entire nationwide license. Which means that they'll be able to have nationwide LTE on the 700 MHz band. AT&T on the other hand only purchased 700 MHz licenses for the major metro areas of the U.S. Obviously, most people will be covered by them, but many, many people in rural areas, like myself, will not receive LTE coverage from AT&T unless they decide to use another frequency besides 700 MHz in the rural areas of America.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Still waiting...........I hope it's not pushed back till winter or something crazy.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Dub05
    Still waiting...........I hope it's not pushed back till winter or something crazy.
    Who knows. I've been flipping the 3G on with my iPhone everytime I come to Saginaw to go to school. From what I can see, all of the AT&T cell sites in the Saginaw area have been outfitted with 3G equipment. So, it's just a waiting game of when they flip the on switch. I'm really hoping that they decide to add some brand new cell sites around Saginaw, because it's very much needed.

Device(s)
    Modded AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    MA Bell Wireless Part Duex
    Feedback Score
    3G will more than like just be a one for one swap.

The coverage will be better on 3G as it utilizes 3 towers at the same time vs 1 in GSM.

You have to remember that the bars will not register the same on the phone as what is available in the air due to power control. You may have full coverage on GSM but on 3G it may only show 2 bars. The lower bars is not a network short comming just a difference in broadcast characteristics.

Put your phone in test mode and look at the PSC and EC\IO numbers thats all that matters.
    2G = GSM and CDMA
    3G = UMTS, UMB and Wimax
    EVDO = TDMA
    CDMA + EVDO = 3G?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellonetech

The coverage will be better on 3G as it utilizes 3 towers at the same time vs 1 in GSM.

You have to remember that the bars will not register the same on the phone as what is available in the air due to power control. You may have full coverage on GSM but on 3G it may only show 2 bars. The lower bars is not a network short comming just a difference in broadcast characteristics.

Put your phone in test mode and look at the PSC and EC\IO numbers thats all that matters.
    Can ya explain more about the EC/IO numbers? Like a general idea of good vs. bad numbers, and best vs. terrible.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

So what happens in an area that doesn't get very good GSM coverage? No 3G coverage? I'm not gonna like that very much, because Saginaw is one of those cities that AT&T does not cover well. There are good areas to be sure, but there are many, many holes in their network that other carriers don't have problems in.

Device(s)
    Modded AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    MA Bell Wireless Part Duex
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular_freak
    So what happens in an area that doesn't get very good GSM coverage? No 3G coverage? I'm not gonna like that very much, because Saginaw is one of those cities that AT&T does not cover well. There are good areas to be sure, but there are many, many holes in their network that other carriers don't have problems in.

lower coverage areas will be a better experience due to UMTS pulls up to 3 towers at the same time vs 1 with GSM. If the network is designed well you should have less issues with dropped calls.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    'Pulls up to 3 towers' ? Not sure what you mean by that.

GSM typically can and does have a list of at least 6 neighbor cells to which it can hand off to.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There's gotta be more than flipping a switch right? Do they have to test it first or they just doing this on purpose. I really hope they launch 3G they same time as MMS. They would be a great day.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    lower coverage areas will be a better experience due to UMTS pulls up to 3 towers at the same time vs 1 with GSM. If the network is designed well you should have less issues with dropped calls.
    I guess I'm kind of confused about that too. How can you use 3 towers at once?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    On GSM, you typically communicate with one tower at time when in a phone call, and have hard handoffs between sites, where the UE just jumps to another site.

With WCDMA, when signal conditions aren't perfect, the UE can communicate with up to 3 cell sites at one time during a phone call to combine data from those 3 signal sources (that may not be 100% clear) into one "more solid" "signal source". That is a rough generalization.

With WCDMA handoffs, say you are on the highway (in a phone call), you are somewhat close to the cell site, and far enough away where you are in the sweet spot of one of its sectors to where the signal is crystal clear with no interference from neighboring sites or sectors. At this time for example, the UE is talking to only that one sector on that cell site.

Now, when traveling towards another cell site, you move into an overlapping area where the site/sector you are heading towards is interfering with the site/sector you are communicating with because they operate on the same frequency. The UE will now communicate to both Sites/sectors at the same time to help deal with this problem.

Once you move far enough into that new site's sector, and the interference from that old site/sector you just left (or other ones) is low enough, the UE will talk to only that new site/sector you've been heading towards.....until you get really close to that new cell site that has 2 other sectors, because that site is located right next to the highway and you will be driving into a different sector on that cell site, so you'll have to go through that whole handoff process again.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Now here is a story about 2 3g sites in my area along the highway. In the overlapping area between the two, phonecalls will start to break up and go silent, until you get close enough to the site you are heading towards.

What I think is happening by monitoring Field Test in a phone call, is that those two sites are not soft-handingoff to each other, and instead they have a hard handoff, but this only happens after the call goes completely silent because the interference from teh cell i am heading towards is so strong it's blocking the signal from the cell I am leaving. Only when the ServingPSC number changes, indicating i've handed off to the site I am heading towards, do I get audio back on the call.

On HTC devices like 8525, TILT, FUZE, on teh WCDMA page, you can see how many sites the device is communicating with by looking at ServingPSC 1 2 and 3. If you are only communicating with one site, there will only be a number indicated for ServingPSC 1 etc.

Note: UE = User Equipment, like a phone etc.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast