Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: 3G coming to Tri-Cities area, Michigan (Saginaw, Bay City, Midland)

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellonetech
    Verizon and anyone going thru the LTE process will be in the same boat as AT&T and Tmobile with 3G.

3G (UMTS) and LTE are completely different networks.

EVDO is an add on to CDMA that provides 3G data speeds so For Verizon, Sprint and Alltel it was mostly adding equipment and software updates to the existing network vs starting from scratch like AT&T and Tmobile.

So unless you are in a Top 100 city I wouldnt expect LTE for a couple of years.
    Well, Verizon will probably end up rolling out the LTE much faster and in more places because they purchased a complete nationwide license. Whereas AT&T only got many of the metro areas of the country, so those of us in the rural areas are going to get shafted by them and only have LTE through Verizon unless AT&T decides to deploy LTE on another frequency besides 700 MHz in the rural areas. (Which will suck because it's the rural areas that need the lower frequencies more than the inner cities.)

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I still don't think LTE will roll out that fast. It's a new network from the ground up, it's a lot of work and money, so I wouldn't even expect it in my city for a few years.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Device(s)
    Modded AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    MA Bell Wireless Part Duex
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii
    I still don't think LTE will roll out that fast. It's a new network from the ground up, it's a lot of work and money, so I wouldn't even expect it in my city for a few years.
    Spectrum in not relevant in most areas as both AT&T and Verizon have plenty in most markets.

Its about building from scratch new equipment at the tower, new switches and new backhaul from tower to the switches.
    2G = GSM and CDMA
    3G = UMTS, UMB and Wimax
    EVDO = TDMA
    CDMA + EVDO = 3G?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The AT&T Coverage Map was just updated online and now reflects the newly activated 3G coverage in Mount Pleasant.

Device(s)
    Modded AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    already behind at TC is now live.

Feedback Score
    What's TC? Tri-Cities? I'm sitting in Saginaw TWP this morning and I am still on Edge.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot79
    What's TC? Tri-Cities? I'm sitting in Saginaw TWP this morning and I am still on Edge.
    I'm pretty sure they mean Traverse City. Traverse City was announced at the same time as Mount Pleasant and they are about the same size, so they should have occurred at about the same time. I was just up there last weekend and there was no 3G, so that was quick.

Feedback Score
    What's frustrating is seeing the indicator on my iphone turn from edge to 3g as I drive from midland to mt pleasant. It seems to happen in oil city of all places.

I'm eager for them to expand here.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thedavid
    What's frustrating is seeing the indicator on my iphone turn from edge to 3g as I drive from midland to mt pleasant. It seems to happen in oil city of all places.

I'm eager for them to expand here.
    Yeah, I could imagine that would be pretty frustrating that a place like Oil City has 3G and not the tri-cities. If you look at AT&T's coverage viewer online, you can see the 3G in the Mount Pleasant area, which shows that it covers a good swath of Isabella County and it sort of travels along M-20 into Midland County as well.

Device(s)
    Modded AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    more than like likely it was designed as continuous coverage between Midland and Mt Pleasant. Mt Pleasant went first because its smaller than Tri-cities.

TC has about triple the 3G towers as Mt Pleasant.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    more than like likely it was designed as continuous coverage between Midland and Mt Pleasant. Mt Pleasant went first because its smaller than Tri-cities.

TC has about triple the 3G towers as Mt Pleasant.
    Yeah, I'm imagining that the 3G network throughout the tri-cities and Mount Pleasant will be pretty continuous for the most part.

That's odd that Traverse City has so many more towers than Mount Pleasant when Mount Pleasant has double the population. Maybe it has something to do with the population density. TC people are probably much more spread out across the land, whereas most Mt. Pleasant people live within the immediate area.

Device(s)
    Modded AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    TC is more spread out where MT P is basically just in town.

TC had more towers period and was built out better. TC actually has population is higher in the summer months as TC is a tourist trap.

The population has gotten as large as 500k in july just about year after year because of Cherry Festival and Michael Moores film festival.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    TC is more spread out where MT P is basically just in town.

TC had more towers period and was built out better. TC actually has population is higher in the summer months as TC is a tourist trap.

The population has gotten as large as 500k in july just about year after year because of Cherry Festival and Michael Moores film festival.
    I guess you're right because the Traverse City area was originally part of the Dobson 850 network, which would have meant more towers for the most part. Whereas, Mt. Pleasant was part of the original NPI Wireless network, which was 1900 only and they didn't do a fantastic job at building out their network. Too bad my area wasn't like the Traverse City area in terms of number of towers. I was part of the Dobson 850 network and my area stinks in terms of coverage.

Device(s)
    Modded AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular_freak
    I guess you're right because the Traverse City area was originally part of the Dobson 850 network, which would have meant more towers for the most part. Whereas, Mt. Pleasant was part of the original NPI Wireless network, which was 1900 only and they didn't do a fantastic job at building out their network. Too bad my area wasn't like the Traverse City area in terms of number of towers. I was part of the Dobson 850 network and my area stinks in terms of coverage.

Technically you are in Lake Huron Cellular that was poorly built compared to Thumb and bought by Dobson. Dobson dumped millions and a dozen new tower but still needs work.

In case you havent figure it out yet look at my screen name, I also go by RFG on the WA.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Technically you are in Lake Huron Cellular that was poorly built compared to Thumb and bought by Dobson. Dobson dumped millions and a dozen new tower but still needs work.

In case you havent figure it out yet look at my screen name, I also go by RFG on the WA.
    Oh, ok. So that's you.

Yes, I was aware of the fact that Lake Huron Cellular was the original carrier here, however, I don't know if I was exactly old enough to remember Lake Huron Cellular. Did they do business as Cellular One?

But, yes, we do not have that many towers even within my county. I would say we have about 8-9 towers in all of Tuscola County. And that leaves a lot of people in dead areas or very low coverage, including myself. AT&T could really make a lot of people happy by at least doubling that number.

Thumb Cellular on the other hand, has absolutely amazing coverage throughout the tri-county area of the Thumb. I would never go to them, though because of how expensive they are, the lack of choice of phones, and roaming once you leave the Thumb (which is everyday for me).

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast