Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: 3G coming to Tri-Cities area, Michigan (Saginaw, Bay City, Midland)

Device(s)
    Modded AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    MA Bell Wireless Part Duex
    Feedback Score
    not about population its about market.

michigan is 3 markets, 2 of 3 had 3G and 1 didnt.

Mt Pleasant and TC were announced before Tri-cities back in 08 shortly after Dobson buyout.

Plus smaller towns have less towers which equals faster rollout of 3G

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellonetech
    not about population its about market.

michigan is 3 markets, 2 of 3 had 3G and 1 didnt.

Mt Pleasant and TC were announced before Tri-cities back in 08 shortly after Dobson buyout.

Plus smaller towns have less towers which equals faster rollout of 3G
    Good point. Based on AT&T's coverage viewer, it doesn't look like Mount Pleasant was very well covered. So I could only imagine that it didn't take that long to convert the very small amount of towers that they had over to 3G. However, I did hear that AT&T planned on building some new cell sites in the area, so maybe they did it along with the 3G rollout.

That's really what I'm hoping they do around the tri-cities. They announced new cell sites for the Saginaw area, and I have yet to see any new panels go up anywhere. So, I'm hoping that maybe more around launch time, they will decide to add brand new panels to the area's many towers.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just noticed another tower that previously already had the 3G panels added to it, get upgraded to the newer equipment with the actual "holders" that hold the panels away from the tower. And this one tower in particular is different from all other AT&T 3G panel sets that I have seen thus far in the Saginaw area: it has three panels per sector! Is this something AT&T does? And why do it here and not everywhere else? Here's the picture: http://gallery.wirelessadvisor.com/f...6/dscn0930.jpg AT&T is the second from the bottom.

Device(s)
    Modded AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    when you first see 3G up grade their will be double. For example you will see the original 2-3 gsm panels then new ones side by side until the tower is converted to the new set.

Most of the at&t panels are either doubles or quads so underneath that plastic cover is either 2 ant or 4 ant. The gsm at the site was probably pretty busy hence the need for more antenna.

In my area they actually went from 3 antenna to 2 with 3G upgrades except on busy gsm sites.

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular_freak
    I just noticed another tower that previously already had the 3G panels added to it, get upgraded to the newer equipment with the actual "holders" that hold the panels away from the tower. And this one tower in particular is different from all other AT&T 3G panel sets that I have seen thus far in the Saginaw area: it has three panels per sector! Is this something AT&T does? And why do it here and not everywhere else? Here's the picture: http://gallery.wirelessadvisor.com/f...6/dscn0930.jpg AT&T is the second from the bottom.
    What is the location of that site? I'm thinkin' they added an extra panel for GSM.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii
    What is the location of that site? I'm thinkin' they added an extra panel for GSM.
    It's in Saginaw Township, along M-84/Bay Rd just east of the Boardwalk Dr intersection.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's in Saginaw Township, along M-84/Bay Rd just east of the Boardwalk Dr intersection.
    Alrighty, I can see it covers some dense areas, so that would explain the additional GSM panel, that should improve voice quality (as it adds capacity)...in addition to 3g capable users being moved off of GSM.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Alrighty, I can see it covers some dense areas, so that would explain the additional GSM panel, that should improve voice quality (as it adds capacity)...in addition to 3g capable users being moved off of GSM.
    Ok, I guess that makes sense. Bay Rd is a very heavily traveled road in the area.

So, is it true that AT&T is deploying NSET (or whatever) on all new 3G deployments or only in the big cities? Because if they are doing it everywhere, then it really wouldn't ease congestion because most people with 3G handsets will simply be reverted back to the GSM network for voice (except those with iPhones and BlackBerrys I think).

Device(s)
    Modded AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Ok, I guess that makes sense. Bay Rd is a very heavily traveled road in the area.

So, is it true that AT&T is deploying NSET (or whatever) on all new 3G deployments or only in the big cities? Because if they are doing it everywhere, then it really wouldn't ease congestion because most people with 3G handsets will simply be reverted back to the GSM network for voice (except those with iPhones and BlackBerrys I think).

NSET settings are really low, some thing like 1 kbit. So basically any data use will keep you out of that range. Basically people that just use phones for voice would get downgraded to GSM. So basically just go to Media net homepage once a month or another website and your good. All my phones have a weather app that update every hour so im good.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellonetech
    NSET settings are really low, some thing like 1 kbit. So basically any data use will keep you out of that range. Basically people that just use phones for voice would get downgraded to GSM. So basically just go to Media net homepage once a month or another website and your good. All my phones have a weather app that update every hour so im good.
    So what you're saying is that if just a regular dumbphone accesses the internet for just a little bit, they can use 3G for data and voice? Or just one or the other?

And am I correct in assuming that iPhones and other smartphones automatically will be able to use 3G for voice and data?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I haven't even seen any fruitation of NSET, nor have i heard of anyone that has experienced it. I even have 2 3g capable handsets on my family plan with no data that have always been on 3g....so in a sense, I wouldn't worry about it.

Feedback Score
    Well the store said end of aug for Saginaw to have 3g ... Effing pricks. I so hate att can't wait for verizon to get their apple LTE **** together. Where s the 3g??!?!?!?

Device(s)
    Modded AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I haven't even seen any fruitation of NSET, nor have i heard of anyone that has experienced it. I even have 2 3g capable handsets on my family plan with no data that have always been on 3g....so in a sense, I wouldn't worry about it.

I wouldnt worry about Nset as I dont think it has been implemented.
    2G = GSM and CDMA
    3G = UMTS, UMB and Wimax
    EVDO = TDMA
    CDMA + EVDO = 3G?

Device(s)
    Modded AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mle70
    Well the store said end of aug for Saginaw to have 3g ... Effing pricks. I so hate att can't wait for verizon to get their apple LTE **** together. Where s the 3g??!?!?!?

Verizon and anyone going thru the LTE process will be in the same boat as AT&T and Tmobile with 3G.

3G (UMTS) and LTE are completely different networks.

EVDO is an add on to CDMA that provides 3G data speeds so For Verizon, Sprint and Alltel it was mostly adding equipment and software updates to the existing network vs starting from scratch like AT&T and Tmobile.

So unless you are in a Top 100 city I wouldnt expect LTE for a couple of years.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mle70
    I know, it is quite frustrating and I don't even live in the tri-cities so it's not even going to effect me that much.

I did notice them working on another tower near the I-675/Michigan Rd overpass so they're still in the works. Plus, there are still many towers in Saginaw that haven't been upgraded with the new panels. So I'm thinking we've still got a while.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast