Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: 3G coming to Tri-Cities area, Michigan (Saginaw, Bay City, Midland)

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular_freak
    I've noticed them working on quite a few towers in the Saginaw area just over the past week or so. It seems that they are completely removing the older 2G panels that were much smaller in size and now adding the 3G panels with what look like "brackets" I guess you could say that actually hold the panels, instead of appearing to be attached to the tower itself.

I'm getting very anxious myself. Everytime I drive through Saginaw I turn the 3G on on my phone but still get nothing. I'm really hoping it's soon. I'm already really contemplating moving back over to Verizon just because I still have bad call quality in this area as well as my home area of the Thumb. I love my iPhone, not so much the service around here.
    Just hold out, it's obvious 3g is on it's way, expect it in 2-3 months...maybe earlier. Thing is they are still installing the hardware so it's not even powered up yet. There a month or two depending on the rollout size of them powering up each site, getting them generally setup, dialing them in, testing, and if everything is good, they'll allow users on board.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Feedback Score
    I guess what is the most frustrating is that it almost seemed to be "promised" by the end of summer last year at the launch of the iPhone 3G. Here it is over a year later and still we are on Edge. All I have been hearing at the stores and by calling AT&T is soon. Well I am getting tired of paying for a 3G data plan and only really having 2G. I know I am paying for the use of it when I am in a 3G area, but I hardly ever go into a 3G area. I am mostly bouncing around between Bay City, Midland and Saginaw. I just wish AT&T would give us a date and no more of this soon crap. It is just getting plain frustrating.

On a separate note, I took some pictures of the tower last night and will post them up soon. It looks like that it wasn't cables, but actually ropes that were leading up to the highest point on the tower. Maybe they were hoisting up the "brackets" as described before or 3G pannels. Either way I hope that this thing gets turned on soon since Mt. Pleasant already is turned on with 3G service and they are only about an hour away.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii
    Just hold out, it's obvious 3g is on it's way, expect it in 2-3 months...maybe earlier. Thing is they are still installing the hardware so it's not even powered up yet. There a month or two depending on the rollout size of them powering up each site, getting them generally setup, dialing them in, testing, and if everything is good, they'll allow users on board.
    It's just kind of frustrating because I'm already just over a year into my contract and am almost one step away from switching. Yeah, I'm excited that the tri-cities are getting 3G, but it's still not where I live. I just go to school there and go there a lot for shopping and hanging with friends. My home area, in the Thumb, is notorious for bad 2G coverage and I can almost guarantee that we will not be getting 3G service anytime soon as the largest town in the Thumb is the town I'm from: population 4,000.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    as for mt. pleasant 3g, it extends as far west as winn rd, and almost as far east as 11 mile rd. a few miles into midland co., fyi. not too bad.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 0beaver0
    as for mt. pleasant 3g, it extends as far west as winn rd, and almost as far east as 11 mile rd. a few miles into midland co., fyi. not too bad.
    That seems like a pretty good sized area. Almost like the entire width of Isabella County. I must say I'm impressed. However, I do wonder how good coverage is going to be on the network as it is 1900 MHz only. That network was the old Dobson network, which before that was the old NPI Wireless network. I would have thought that AT&T would have waited until they completed the purchase of Centennial because I do believe Centennial has an 850 MHz license for that area.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Centennial does hold 850mhz in Isabella county.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Centennial does hold 850mhz in Isabella county.
    Thanks for confirming that, zephxiii.

That just leads one to wonder why they are waiting to launch in areas like Kalamazoo and Battle Creek if they are launching in places like Mount Pleasant that also have 850 MHz from Centennial. Hmmm.....

Device(s)
    GSM Current: Apple iPhone 3GS, Nokia 6650 fold, Palm Centro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just to back up what you pretty much already know... the 3G service in Mt. Pleasant is running on 1900 MHz (see the screen capture from Field Test Mode on my iPhone below). Uplink/Downlink Frequencies between 9262 and 9538 mean it's on 1900 MHz, and between 4132 and 4233 equal 850 MHz.

I'm just happy that general signal quality has improved, despite still being on 1900. Once the Centennial purchase goes through, it can only get better.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartMoose
    Just to back up what you pretty much already know... the 3G service in Mt. Pleasant is running on 1900 MHz (see the screen capture from Field Test Mode on my iPhone below). Uplink/Downlink Frequencies between 9262 and 9538 mean it's on 1900 MHz, and between 4132 and 4233 equal 850 MHz.

I'm just happy that general signal quality has improved, despite still being on 1900. Once the Centennial purchase goes through, it can only get better.
    Well, that's great to hear that it's up and running there as well as the fact that signal has improved. I'm almost willing to bet that AT&T has added new cell sites in the area because this press release proves that 40 new sites should be coming to Michigan this year as well as 3G service to the new areas we already know about: http://www.reuters.com/article/press...09+PRN20090401 You guys should definitely see drastically improved service with the Centennial integration. As long as AT&T moves most of the 3G over.

I'm really hoping that Saginaw gets many more cell sites as service is something to be desired in many areas. It sucks that AT&T will never be able to provide 850 MHz in the tri-cities. Too bad Verizon doesn't offer AT&T a deal and sell them one of their licenses. Wishful thinking...

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot79
    At first, I couldn't tell who was on the tower based on your first pic, but the last one definitely shows who's on there. I looks like iPCS, AT&T, Verizon, metroPCS.

Obviously, AT&T is making a habit of building those new "holders" over top of their old smaller panels and adding the new 3G panels to those holders. I've noticed them doing that in some areas in Saginaw where they aren't just adding the 3G panel next to the 2G ones, like they were doing earlier this year. I wonder why they decided to change and do this instead....?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    which is AT&T? The second one down from the top?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    which is AT&T? The second one down from the top?
    Yes, the second set is most definitely AT&T. You can actually see their old panel set still underneath the newer ones they are building overtop.

Device(s)
    Modded AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    MA Bell Wireless Part Duex
    Feedback Score
    Tri-cities will see 3G soon now that a few other markets have 3G finished the crews from those areas will more than likely go help finish Tri-cities area.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellonetech
    Tri-cities will see 3G soon now that a few other markets have 3G finished the crews from those areas will more than likely go help finish Tri-cities area.
    Good to hear. I'm really hoping it's soon! It's quite upsetting that Mount Pleasant already has it when they are a much smaller area than the tri-cities.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast