Thread: $34.99 Email, Text, Surf

Feedback Score

$34.99 Email, Text, Surf

Alright. Perhaps you noble HowardForums users know more than the average joe at the MTS Connect stores.

I've gotten a multitude of different answers from different MTS employees, and I do not want to end up with a $20,000 phone bill due to data usage.

The last guy at MTS told me I'd have to bump up to a $70 a month data plan, and that I was not able to use the $34.99/mo plan for what I need.

I will be uninstalling the ActiveSync client on the HTC Diamond, and reinstalling Intellisync which will be connecting to a Novell GroupWise mobile server at my work (IMAP).

Mr. MTS Rep at Winnipeg Square tells me that web browsing is not 'data', and that I will be charged an arm and a leg for retrieving emails in that fashion -- and that I will have to upgrade to what he called BIS (that's for Blackberry devices.. once again he had me confused).

Can MTS even differentiate between 'web browsing' traffic and 'data'? Is this guy just trying to throw me for a loop? Help!!
    Last edited by ThievingKidneys; 01-19-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typo

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Data is data, and you are using data. The only thing not allowed on that plan is tethering to a computer.

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Little Richie is bang on.
    Data is data...and the winnipeg square dude is obviously a moron...as soon as he said "bis" while talking about a diamond you should have walked a way.

The $40 plan will work just fine. But intellisync is terrible. have you used it before? id far rather use active sync...plus intillisync is not free.

Feedback Score

Intellisync!

Quote Originally Posted by MTS CORP REP
    Little Richie is bang on.
    Data is data...and the winnipeg square dude is obviously a moron...as soon as he said "bis" while talking about a diamond you should have walked a way.

The $40 plan will work just fine. But intellisync is terrible. have you used it before? id far rather use active sync...plus intillisync is not free.
    We have dozens and dozens of users that utilize Intellisync that works flawlessly with our Novell GroupWise server at work. I'm in the IT department, and if there's an issue, 99% of the time reconnecting the mailbox (20 second task) corrects any issues.

As far as it not being free, well, it's free for me thanks to my work.

I was told by an MTS rep on the phone that they do not support Microsoft Exchange, Lotusnotes, or Novell Groupwise on this plan. Then I was told by the rep I bought the phone from that it would work just fine. And the moron at Winnipeg Square, well, god only knows.

Any ideas on WHO I can talk to that will know wth they are talking about? MTS Corp Rep -- I'm assuming you're an MTS vendor and know your stuff? :P

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    You can talk to us. We know what we are talking about. The provider is just the vessel to the internet, if something isn't going to be supported, it will be because of the phone, not because of MTS.

Feedback Score

I know it's supported---

I will be able to install Intellisync and push emails from GroupWise to my phone no problem, that's not the issue.

On the other hand, the only other thing I can think of in regards to what they were talking about was that Blackberry Enterprise Server crap that they use on their end to redirect emails -- I can see having to pay extra for the software required to support BES on a Windows Mobile device.

But making me upgrade to a $70 data plan to retrieve my emails from our own mobile server? Give me a break.

It's not like they know which data is which. It doesn't get flagged as Novell GroupWise traffic -- so I really don't know what in the hell they're talking about other than trying to screw me over for a $40 extra a month.

Like I said, I'm just wanting to make absolutely certain as I don't want to end up owing assloads of cash in the end.

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Windows mobile devices use different data services that Blackberry devices, no BIS, or BES. As long as you run your own server, be it exchange, netware or equivalent, it doesn't matter what plan you have for data with MTS.

Feedback Score
    Cool, giving it a try -- MTS hasn't heard the last of my angry wrath at their billing department :P

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThievingKidneys
    Cool, giving it a try -- MTS hasn't heard the last of my angry wrath at their billing department :P
    You'll be fine. No extra charges GUARANTEED.

also...MTS billing department is close to retarded. And so is thier billing system.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThievingKidneys
    MTS Billing Department gives everyone headaches it seems!
    Man gets hit by Brick Phone! Ouch!