Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: palm pre vs g1 vs iphone

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter
    ...Sprint has Airave. I'll gladly pay the ETF.
    ...Tmo's next 8900 Curve STILL won't have 3G.
    ...Home reception is my first priority, and Airave will give me that..
    Then I guess you'd better hope that Sprint/Samsung releases an EVDO-capable Airave... because the Airave right now won't support EVDO... one of the reasons I bought a repeater instead...

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8330
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sprint service in NYC is superb. This coming from someone who had Sprint original in Albany/Long Island 6 years ago. Now working in Manhattan and living in Astoria queens I can say i have service in both my house, my above ground commute, my job and any bars I go to.

The few times I don't have SPRINT service (usually basement/underground related) my phone simply roams onto Verizon's network (digital or analog) and i don't even notice.

Seriously...people who think Sprint's service is bad, when there is free roaming on every sprint plan makes me scratch my head. Its the best of both worlds.
    Douggie B.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by meballard
    Palm has already said they are releasing the Pre in a GSM/UMTS version, but internationally before they release it in the US.

In the case of the US, certainly at least to me and a lot of the people I know, a release on T-Mobile or AT&T would be a major disadvantage. When I say why I don't want the iPhone, the two main reasons are the lack of a user-replaceable battery, and having to switch to AT&T, and a lot of people agree with me (especially the second one)...
    Yes, I know about the GSM version coming out, and I'm very excited for that! Definitely picking up an unlocked GSM version asap! Also, as a side note, I never found the whole replaceable battery too big of a deal. I'd much rather have a stable enough device not to have to do battery pulls. Battery pulls on BBs are magical and can fix a lot of things, but at least to me, they're annoying. I'd rather not have to fix it in the first place. If it weren't for the "crashing" of apps on the iPhone, I'd be perfectly fine. But then again, a "crash" is going back to the main screen, which doesn't need something like a battery pull.

As for wireless service in the US, I am not familiar with as I am with Rogers (Canada). Up here, at least in the major cities, Rogers has great service and 3G on Rogers is mostly great (Pricing is another story lol). All I know, is that with CDMA you are locked to one handset unless you call your carrier and ask them to change to another handset. Here, on bell and telus, they limit you to the phones that they carry.

And I'm sure this is how it is in US as well, but carriers usually don't have the latest devices. Meaning if you're on bell/telus you're stuck with old technology, and don't have the freedom to get what you want. On top of that, I like to swap phones every few days, which I can't do on bell/telus.

So perhaps CDMA carriers have much better service in the US, but it isn't the case up here in Canada. So I'd like to get some GSM love from the Pre please!

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold
    Feedback Score
    Palm Pre should be GSM!!!!
    I hope theyve got something akin to the blackberry internet service though, that'd be crazy..

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidbivaD
    Also, as a side note, I never found the whole replaceable battery too big of a deal. I'd much rather have a stable enough device not to have to do battery pulls.
    The replaceable battery has nothing to do with resetting the device (for me), that doesn't even cross my mind. I carry 4 batteries for my Centro, and swap them out regularly. I am a heavy data user, and can chew through batteries quickly on any device, and I know my data usage will only go up once I move to a device with an advanced web browser such as the Pre or the iPhone. Being limited to only the internal battery is not at all practical to me, as I have quite a few days when I am not still at any power source for a long enough period to charge my phone, and I would rather carry extra batteries than a power supply anyways. It also helps on days when I unexpectedly spend the night somewhere else, and don't have to worry about whether my phone will still be working the next day...

On the CDMA in the US and switching phones, I know Verizon has an online tool for switching, I'm not sure about Sprint, but it admittedly is not as easy as with GSM.

Device(s)
    Trēo 755p (Sprint, flashed to Cricket)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    :^/ Personally, one advantage that I see for the Pré over the iPhone is that it's on CDMA. This would allow it to be activated on Cricket's network, at half the operating expense every month....
    Official CricKet Mafia member

;^) Accomplishments:
    Adapted Cricket Internet to Trēo 755p (Sprint)
    Cricket EVDO on Trēo 755p (Sprint)

:^( Tragedies endured:
    Irrevocably bricked Trēo 755p (Sprint)

;^) Happy again:
    • Now tethering via warranty-replaced Trēo 755p (Sprint)...

Device(s)
    Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Any word on whether or not it will have direct connect? If BB did it, Palm should too.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket (
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i2ollingStone
    Any word on whether or not it will have direct connect? If BB did it, Palm should too.
    Its gonna suck loosing my BBM friends
    Click below for $25 Cricket Credit Referral
    mycricket.sparkrefer.com/4XcMBr9

Click below for $25 Cricket Credit Referral
    mycricket.sparkrefer.com/4Mhb8SD

Click Below for $25 Cricket Credit Referral
    https://mycricket.sparkrefer.com/4S9yQen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3