Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: phone insurance

Device(s)
    Blackberry Tour
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

phone insurance

i was just wondering since i have insurance on my phone and lets say i loose it. then i call for a replacement and then sometime in the future find the one i had lost. would i get in trouble if i try to reactivate the old one, or even keep it?

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You wouldnt get in trouble, you just wont be able to activate it. Once you claim the phone lost or stolen Asurion puts the phones ESN/MEID onto the MTAS Deny List (Lost Stolen Database). When a Verizon Customer Service Rep tries to activate it, or you try via the net it says "Unable to Activate". The only people that can remove an ESN put on the list for lost/stolen is the insurance company. No VZW reps can activate it or remove it.. So the short answer is you can keep it, as a paperweight...

Device(s)
    Blackberry Tour
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    haha thankyou!

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have to disagree. Not all phones make it to that list. I had a phone that I lost once, turned it on, get a new phone then found the lost one months later. For the heck of it I tried activating it and it worked fine. My guess is most of the phones don't make it to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by VZWShane
    You wouldnt get in trouble, you just wont be able to activate it. Once you claim the phone lost or stolen Asurion puts the phones ESN/MEID onto the MTAS Deny List (Lost Stolen Database). When a Verizon Customer Service Rep tries to activate it, or you try via the net it says "Unable to Activate". The only people that can remove an ESN put on the list for lost/stolen is the insurance company. No VZW reps can activate it or remove it.. So the short answer is you can keep it, as a paperweight...

Device(s)
    motorola moto x
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScruffyGuy
    I have to disagree. Not all phones make it to that list. I had a phone that I lost once, turned it on, get a new phone then found the lost one months later. For the heck of it I tried activating it and it worked fine. My guess is most of the phones don't make it to that list.
    But did you file an insurance claim on the old one?

Device(s)
    G'zone Boulder
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fireredak

Exactly. If you file an insurance claim against a phone, then later find that phone and keep it, that is insurance fraud. It's the property of Asurion and you are stealing if you keep it.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I did file a claim and I was never told to return the phone. Nothing in any of the paperwork I filed or received ever told me that if I find the phone send it back. Is there something in writing that you folks are seeing that says the phone should be returned?

And if the phone is returned then I should get my 50 bucks back, would this not be true?

Device(s)
    motorola moto x
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I did file a claim and I was never told to return the phone. Nothing in any of the paperwork I filed or received ever told me that if I find the phone send it back. Is there something in writing that you folks are seeing that says the phone should be returned?

And if the phone is returned then I should get my 50 bucks back, would this not be true?
    No you dont get the $50 dollars back.
    Thats the deductible that you have to pay no matter what.

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (out there: BlackBerry8130/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

So if my car is "lost or stolen" I can just file an insurance claim, get my new car, "find" my old car and keep both cars?

You do see how that is outright fraud right?

Device(s)
    Bolder Boulder
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vatothe0
    Wirelessly posted (out there: BlackBerry8130/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

So if my car is "lost or stolen" I can just file an insurance claim, get my new car, "find" my old car and keep both cars?

You do see how that is outright fraud right?
    You'll have to register the car at some point and/or you'll get pulled over sooner or later.

Feedback Score
    you can keep it and there is a way to change the esn if i am thinking properly( kinda difficult tho )

Device(s)
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We filed on my daughter's phone. She dropped it in gravy. Got the replacement. Never activated it as hers started to work again and she liked all the ringtones and such. So I just mailed the one they sent back in the envelope. Never got my money back which is okay. Hers activated fine but all parties were aware of the situation and return of the replacement set unactivated. After that ..............I dropped the insurance.

Device(s)
    UTStarCom XV6700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The insurance is typically a bad investment, for $60/year + $50/claim (assuming you do this once a year) you can buy a replacement phone on eBay every year w/o any problems and nearly the same turn around time (2 days +/-).
    Is it fraud? Fraud usually implies theft on a large scale with some level of commitment/planning above normal theft. Come on, it's petty to say it's fraud. It's fraud if you intentionally smash it to claim it's broken by accident, but keeping it? No, theft? Perhaps. Is it breaking your word? (the one time I lost mine, they said you have to return it if you find it) Yes.
    Can you activate it? Maybe. It might make the lost/stolen list or it may not, it's anybody's guess.

Device(s)
    Now: (2) Droid2G, Samsung Zeal|Past: Motorola VU30, e815, v276pp, v265, 120c, MicroTAC; Samsung
    Carrier(s)
    Airtouch ;)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Smacaroni
    The insurance is typically a bad investment...
    I agree. Back when phones were scarce on the used market, it almost made sense, but now with the vast number of used phones available on ebay and craigslist, it makes little sense (IMO). With a top of the line smartphone (e.g. BB Storm, etc.), and the desire to not have to make due until the contract is up, maybe it is sensible. But for your ordinary feature phones, no (IMO).
    Tom

"Fundamentally, there are only two ways of coordinating the economic activities of millions. One is central direction involving the use of coercion - the technique of the army and of the modern totalitarian state. The other is voluntary cooperation of individuals - the technique of the marketplace."
    -- Milton Friedman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftmd2389
    you can keep it and there is a way to change the esn if i am thinking properly( kinda difficult tho )

and how would you go about doing that?

i have an lg dare that a friend lost and filed a claim on. Couple weeks later she found it and gave it to me. this particular phone did get put on that lost/stolen list and now i want to know of any alternatives i may have in getting this phone activated... would an esn swap/hack/unlock work?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast