Thread: Backup Assistant Exporter - Download your contacts into a vCard

Device(s)
    Tour 9630
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Backup Assistant Exporter - Download your contacts into a vCard

I've been working on this for the last few days, seems stable enough to post an alpha release if anyone wants to try it.

For too long, i've seen countless posts on here asking how to download contacts from BackupAssistant. After doing some searching, I came accross http://code.google.com/p/verizon-contact-exporter/ - I couldnt get it to work right, so I decided to write my own version.

I used C#, so it requires .NET framework 2.0 or greater to be installed.

To use:

1) download the zip file, and extract bae.exe
    2) Log into www.getbackupnow.com
    3) Make sure you are looking at the contacts in list view (not business card)
    4) Go to File -> Save As -> save the file as contacts.htm, and make sure to select "webpage, html only" in the save dialog of Internet Explorer (or the similar option in FireFox)
    5) Make sure contacts.htm is in the same directory as bae.exe
    6) Run bae.exe
    7) Enjoy!

The program gives you the option of exporting all contacts into a single .vcf file, or exporting each contact as its own .vcf file. For some reason, outlook cant handle importing multiple contacts from a single file, but some other programs can.

Again, this program was written in my spare time in the last few days, i'm sure there are a few errors that might pop up.

Feel free to post comments, suggestions, bugs, etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I dont use Backup Assist since i have a PDA, but I know this is a chief complaint among customers that change from a phone to a PDA. Some will have over 200 contacts on their phone and no way to get them to the PDA from Backup Assist. So hopefully your software works, if it does then I'll be using this at work if you dont mind. After some beta testing if it works you could sell this for some $ I know customers would be willing to pay a premium to not have to do this manually.

Device(s)
    Tour 9630
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Feel free to use it at work, I never had any intention of charging any money for this. Just wanted to see if there was a way to solve the problem that I myself had when I switched from my v9m to the pearl last year.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'll give it a shot!
    "Shouldn't you be working?"

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthetas
    the grass is usually greenest over the septic system. think about it

Device(s)
    Blackberry 9630
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I finally signed up for youmail yesterday, and wanted to import my address book. I simply chose the print option at the top, and then copied my entire address book (instead of finishing the print) and pasted it into OO Calc (you can do the same with MS Excel). Then I chose the text to columns option and chose fixed width. Since most of my primary numbers are people's mobiles, and then work and home after that, it worked quickly. Only had to slightly modify 2 contacts. Put titles at the top, and then save as a csv file and it's ready to import into most things.

Edit: (sorry, i know that's not the same as a vcard, but it is a way to export your address book fairly simply)

Device(s)
    Tour 9630
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Anyone get a chance to try this program out? Any feedback would be great!

Feedback Score

Working great!

Thanks, You save me a lot of time

Feedback Score

Problem solving

I spent an afternoon trying to make this work and then emailed the author and he gave me a tip that finally made it work. So I'm updating the information. Thanks Mike!

MS .NET framework 2.0 or greater has to be installed.

1) download the zip file BAE.ZIP
    2) extract BAE.EXE
    3) Log into www.getbackupnow.com
    3) View your contacts in list view (not business card)
    4) Go through your contacts and make sure that the name field has no characters in it other than letters or else this won't work.
    5) Set the system to show all contacts on one page (up to 150)
    6) Go to File -> Save As -> save the file as CONTACTS.HTM. Make sure you set the format to "webpage, html only".
    7) Put CONTACTS.HTM is in the same directory as BAE.EXE
    8) Run BAE.EXE

The program gives you the option of exporting all contacts into a single .vcf file, or exporting each contact as its own .vcf file. For some reason, outlook cant handle importing multiple contacts from a single file, but some other programs can.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by klpeake
    I spent an afternoon trying to make this work and then emailed the author and he gave me a tip that finally made it work. So I'm updating the information. Thanks Mike!

MS .NET framework 2.0 or greater has to be installed.

1) download the zip file BAE.ZIP
    2) extract BAE.EXE
    3) Log into www.getbackupnow.com
    3) View your contacts in list view (not business card)
    4) Go through your contacts and make sure that the name field has no characters in it other than letters or else this won't work.
    5) Set the system to show all contacts on one page (up to 150)
    6) Go to File -> Save As -> save the file as CONTACTS.HTM. Make sure you set the format to "webpage, html only".
    7) Put CONTACTS.HTM is in the same directory as BAE.EXE
    8) Run BAE.EXE

Device(s)
    Moto X Developer
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VZWShane
    I dont use Backup Assist since i have a PDA, but I know this is a chief complaint among customers that change from a phone to a PDA. Some will have over 200 contacts on their phone and no way to get them to the PDA from Backup Assist. So hopefully your software works, if it does then I'll be using this at work if you dont mind. After some beta testing if it works you could sell this for some $ I know customers would be willing to pay a premium to not have to do this manually.
    I just moved from my Krave to Motorola Q model and found the contact synching to be easier than imagined.

First I pushed my whole contact list from the Krave by selecting all contacts and Send All with Bluetooth to the Q. Then I signed up for Dashwire.com which is like Backup Assistant on steroids. Evert time I add a contact, it syncs to the server, including ringtones, picture ID, caller ID, speed dials, favorites and much more.

Now all I have to do is push new contacts from the PDA back to the Krave, it will not duplicate them, and I have backups for all of my BREW and PDA units all in sync. When I want to activate my V9m or Maxx, Backup Assist does the job there too. All I have to be aware of is previously deleted contacts getting pulled off the old phones and put onto the BA server.

Device(s)
    Samsung Saga
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Great Utility

Many thanks mbpyro! I've had my phone for over a week and I was dreading the typing task.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 7130
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Your program works ok, but errors out about halfway through my contact list. I am using Vista. I also tried it on XP and get the same thing. I shrunk the amount of contacts per page to 20, and it worked, but would error out the the second time I tried it. I don't know if this is an error or not.
    Last edited by maddog_BB7130; 04-08-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: adding on

Device(s)
    Tour 9630
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddog_BB7130
    Your program works ok, but errors out about halfway through my contact list. I am using Vista. I also tried it on XP and get the same thing. I shrunk the amount of contacts per page to 20, and it worked, but would error out the the second time I tried it. I don't know if this is an error or not.
    Do any of your contacts have characters other than letters in their names?

Device(s)
    Blackberry 7130
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes they do! Like you said, this is an Alpha release. Now it DID do a few Vcards, but if I had my entire list displayed (55 numbers, including those # numbers from Verizon), it does about half the list, then cuts off. It won't do numbers if the number is in the work section and there's nothing else. It will do mobile and home numbers with ease, though. Other than that, the program is excellent!

Device(s)
    Blackberry 7130
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Attached to this message is a picture of what it was doing when I tried it with my contact list.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by maddog_BB7130; 04-09-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: adding picture

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast