Thread: 65k vs 262k Color Screens

Feedback Score

65k vs 262k Color Screens

I am curious as to what you all think are the reasons that we do not see more (any?) Windows Mobile phones that have 18-bit display capabilities (262k colors). Is there a technical understanding that I am missing like VGA or TFT? Is it a limitation of Windows Mobile? If not, can Windows Mobile display anything higher than 18 bit? Thanks.

Device(s)
    Samsung A900, Treo 700wx, Samsung M610, HTC Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to know this too. I've got a flip phone here with a 262k screen and it make a huge difference - especially with wallpapers or menus with changing colors.

I've always been pissed at the screens on WM devices for not having enough colors to handle flower petals or changes in lighting in photos - those gradient changes make for the best images and while my $120 flip phone can show them correctly my touch can't.
    Looking for my next new phone...

Feedback Score
    Lack of demand? I've never even considered the difference, for better or worse... (Ignorance is bliss.)

Feedback Score
    You'd always see huge difference with picture files (photo, wallpaps etc), albeit it is rather hard to notice it on a 3'' screens... with WM2003 it certainly was WinMo's own limitation (I remember reading it straight from the horse's mouth - info from microsoft), but I'm not sure is this limitation still valid on WM5 and newer.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    If I remember correctly, it's because WM itself currently doesn't utilize more than 65K. However, manufacturers can still use 262K screens. I think the Atom from a while back had a 262K screen. Manufacturers probably feel that if it isn't really being utilized by the OS, then can save some money.

Device(s)
    Xperia X1a + 16GB micro SDHC + looking for next best headset
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions Member Since 2000
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp
    I am curious as to what you all think are the reasons that we do not see more (any?) Windows Mobile phones that have 18-bit display capabilities (262k colors). Is there a technical understanding that I am missing like VGA or TFT? Is it a limitation of Windows Mobile? If not, can Windows Mobile display anything higher than 18 bit? Thanks.
    WOW, ppl still think the more colors the better? Okay how about this...

Compare the screen of a Nokia N95 with 16million colors resolution 320*240

and with the Xperia that only has 65k colors that have a resolution 800*480

Which screen do u think is better?

The only reason why u think the more colors the better is because once upon a time when mobile phone LCD's only gave colors and not resolution.

So think of it this way a long time ago I had a Sony Ericsson T610 with 65k colors but with a resolution of 128*160 now my next phone was the K750i with 265k colors with a resolution of 176*220. As you can see back then they didnt include resolution but only how many colors it can produce making you think its all about the colors.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    There is actually quite a few wm phones on the market that supprt 262k color (Touch Pro, Touch Diamond, etc.) They all can be supported up to 262k color, but it's limited to 65k color.