Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Future HSPA Network Discussion (Phones/Plans/Network etc..)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FaceInCrowd
    I work for TELUS. What I know is that it will support current TELUS CDMA phones. Your brand new BlackBerry will continue to work when the upgrade happens.

If you mean support for 2G GSM, then it won't. It makes no sense to support 2G, just like it makes no sense to support analog phones.

I would imagine that it will support GSM, UMTS, HSDPA and HSPA for roaming purposes - so depending on your device you may get some instances of backward compatibility.

I would be interested to know how long they will leave their CDMA network up for.

Device(s)
    IPhone X 256gb
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Bell
    Feedback Score
    i think cdma will get shut down after lte is up and running. they will be making people move to hspa or lte. so i would say about 3 years after lte is up and running cdma gets shut down

Feedback Score
    I will place a wager thatr it happens sooner than that (and I am not in the know anymore). I just dont think it makes sense to pay all that money for that really expensive CDMA network maintenance every year. if they are deployed by Q1 2010, then i say they will have migrations complete by Q3 2011...... any takers?

Device(s)
    IPhone X 256gb
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Industry
    I will place a wager thatr it happens sooner than that (and I am not in the know anymore). I just dont think it makes sense to pay all that money for that really expensive CDMA network maintenance every year. if they are deployed by Q1 2010, then i say they will have migrations complete by Q3 2011...... any takers?

the only reason i say this is because there are those old school people who hate changing phones. they are the ones that can actually last 3 years with a phone

Feedback Score
    understood - i bet those customers get a phone in the mail or something.......

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 1
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS HSPA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Industry
    No way at all.

I'll wager that CDMA is up and running for atleast 6 years after HSPA rolls out. Analoge was running underneath CDMA for 10 years before they shut it down. Never underestimate the unwillilngness for people to change.

The only way they would shut CDMA down earlier, is if every one migrates to HSPA or LTE quickly, and while HOFO will have have migrated on day 1, the other 99% of TELUS's client base will hold out until they are renewal eligble, and there is a Free HSPA phone they like more than the Free CDMA phone.

Then there is the Sanyo crowd.... TELUS will have to pry their Sanyo 4000's out of their Cold Dead Hands lol
    Posted Using Two Copper Wires Twisted Together, And Connected To A Old Fashioned Personal Computing Device That Is Small Enough To Fit On A Desk Top.

Device(s)
    Motorola Brick and a Big A$$ Pager
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra_Harmakis
    No way at all.

I'll wager that CDMA is up and running for atleast 6 years after HSPA rolls out. Analoge was running underneath CDMA for 10 years before they shut it down. Never underestimate the unwillilngness for people to change.

The only way they would shut CDMA down earlier, is if every one migrates to HSPA or LTE quickly, and while HOFO will have have migrated on day 1, the other 99% of TELUS's client base will hold out until they are renewal eligble, and there is a Free HSPA phone they like more than the Free CDMA phone.

Then there is the Sanyo crowd.... TELUS will have to pry their Sanyo 4000's out of their Cold Dead Hands lol
    How about those still with Sammy A840 and A920's...let alone those still on MotoV3C's LOL!
    Sent from my BlackBerry KEYone

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    For them to get up to coverage of CDMA and just thinking about how long other last gen technologies lasted I would have to guestimate 5 - 7 years from HSPA launch.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 1
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS HSPA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QPhone
    How about those still with Sammy A840 and A920's...let alone those still on MotoV3C's LOL!
    Oh the Sanyo's are older than all of those!!! At least with the Sammy's there is a hope that they will die on the users.... The old Sanyo's TELUS is gonna have to send out the white vans and drive over them to kill them off!! and even that might not work!!!

There are still people using Nokia 6185's, and the Gen 1 Sony's (as in only sony... no erickson crap lol) still pop up every once and a while.

Hell I saw people changing from their Motorola 650's when the Analoge shut down happend.

Device(s)
    DIFFERENT ONE EVERY WEEK
    Carrier(s)
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Gsm

I scanned the network this morning and see some testing results.
    Ops last time in 2007 when i said GSM is coming on Telus my post got locked up

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 1
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS HSPA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelezz
    I scanned the network this morning and see some testing results.
    Ops last time in 2007 when i said GSM is coming on Telus my post got locked up

Well that's because GSM is not coming... HSPA is coming

yes I know you ment sim cards... i'm just messing with ya!

Device(s)
    blackberry storm 9350
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    i think honestly telus is going to launch the hspa 2100mhz! why get the the storm thinking that it will work when it actually wont work here in canada on the 3g hspa network, that would really piss me off! of rf yeah instant woody here after seeing the nokia phone!!! dammmmmm its sexy!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Oh the Sanyo's are older than all of those!!! At least with the Sammy's there is a hope that they will die on the users.... The old Sanyo's TELUS is gonna have to send out the white vans and drive over them to kill them off!! and even that might not work!!!

There are still people using Nokia 6185's, and the Gen 1 Sony's (as in only sony... no erickson crap lol) still pop up every once and a while.

Hell I saw people changing from their Motorola 650's when the Analoge shut down happend.
    You're right about the Sanyo's LOL. A correction though, what I meant was Sammy A520 and A540 which I still see people with LOL and the other day, someone with a Motorola Timeport.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Well that's because GSM is not coming... HSPA is coming

yes I know you ment sim cards... i'm just messing with ya!
    This is why I never say GSM because it confuses alot of people. Because when the time comes that Telus/Bell have their HSPA network running... we're gonna have tons of confused people asking why doesn't my Motorola Razr V3 work on Telus's new network? Why doesn't my xxxxx (tons and upon tons of gsm/edge phones) work on Telus's new GSM network.

What about those with newly acquired Blackberry Pearl 8100, 8110, 8120...Pearl Flip 8220, Curve 8300 or even the Javelin 8900? They're all going to say why doesn't my damn phone not work on this GSM network that Telus has????

This confusion for the average joe's and jane's (Extreme Majority of Cell Phone Users) were caused by those that keep saying that Telus/Bell is going GSM.

GSM is 2G folks. We should really stop using GSM when mentioning HSPA or ever LTE for that matter.

Device(s)
    Palm Pre, BlackBerry 9700, iPhone 4 16gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    So....

GSM - 2G
    HSDPA/HSPA - 3G
    LTE - 4G?

Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 103 ... LastLast