Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Storm 9530 Tips & Tricks Thread

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

The Official Storm 9530 Tips & Tricks Thread

In lieu of all the recent discoveries and some surely to follow, I’m creating a consolidated Tips and Tricks thread. It can include anything that can help the user experience. These include:

- Base Settings
    - Configuration
    - Usability.

Home Screen Icon Settings
    While in main menu, hit the BB menu key. Select Options. In the Set Home Screen Icon Layout, you can choose 1 – 3 Rows. One row will give you more screen real estate for your wallpaper. In addition, Wallpaper can be changed here too.
    Note – while in the main menu, the icons in the top row is what will appear on the Home Screen.

Main Menu Settings / Move Icons
    Icons can be placed however you want them. Highlight one > press menu > select Move > tap where you want it to be > press menu > select Complete Move. Alternatively, once an icon is highlighted, you can press the menu button twice. Press where you want the icon located, then press menu twice again to complete the move.

Icon Settings
    The number of icons per row can be set from 1 icon per row to 4 icons per row.
    Menu > Options > Advanced Options > Accessibility. Home Screen Grid Layout. Be sure to hit menu > Save after changing any settings.
    (Contrast can also be set in this screen. Reverse Contrast is worth looking at..)

Select links while browsing the internet
    With the browser open, a row of icons is at the bottom of the screen. Tap on the one in the middle, an arrow (cursor). Now when you move your finger across the screen, the cursor will follow. Move it over any link and press. Very accurate!

Edit text that you have already typed.
    Hold your finger over the text, anywhere in the text you’ve typed, the outline of a rectangle will appear. Now, slide your finger throughout the text and the outline will follow. Tap the screen to place the cursor to begin editing.

Typing
    It seems that if you use your left thumb (while typing in landscape) to press a key on the right side of the screen, or vice versa, it presses the wrong key. It’s like there is a center plane. If you keep your left thumb to the left and right to the right, accuracy and speed will be much improved!

Number Lock
    Hold down the !?123 button on the keyboard. A tiny lock will appear in the upper left hand portion of the key. Now, type all the numbers and symbols you want! Pressing the !?123 button again will remove the lock.

Keyboard Show/Hide
    With the keyboard showing, swipe downwards over it to have it hidden. If it’s hidden, swipe up on the screen to have it appear. If these methods fail, you can always hit the menu key and select Show or Hide keyboard.

Vibrate Mode
    Holding the mute button while locked will put your phone in vibrate mode.

Browsing
    Touching (but not pressing) a webpage while browsing will put the toolbar away and vice versa. Enables full screen browsing.

Switching Applications
    Holding the BB key (menu) down will bring up the application switcher. You can also set a convenience key to do the same. It will show the most used applications and let you toggle to them. I understand that there is nothing similar to Windows Task Manager to let us close all active applications. Be sure to use Menu > Close or Exit if you are concerned that too many applications may be running.

Retrieve Contacts
    Holding the Send key for a short duration will bring up the contacts list instead of the number pad.

Email/SMS/MMS recipients
    After addressing a message to one or more recipients who have more than one email address assigned to their name(s), you can hover your finger over each name to see which address you chose. Allowing you to verify you chose the right one before sending.

Setting up your phone Blackberry email address
    Main Menu > Setup > Email Settings > Create your Blackberry email address. You now have an email account accessible only from your Blackberry.
    Note – If you need to send a large file, a large MMS for example, to another Blackberry user, you can bypass the MMS file size limit (although it has recently been raised) by sending as an email to their Blackberry phone email address. (I sent a 1.2 mb MMS today using it. Never would happen using the traditional MMS process.)

Creating and Editing your BIS account and settings
    While in Email Setup, press Menu and select Create Username. Create your username and password. Now, you’ll be able to log into the BIS site (https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw&locale=en) and apply filters, etc., to your email accounts. Note – this is different than the username/password for your Blackberry email address. You can also edit the "Sent from my Blackberry" signature here.

Sending Message
    Instead of pressing Menu, highlighting and pressing send, just press the Blackberry Key (menu) twice.

Free-up Memory (thanks cx)
    In landscape mode, BB key > Show Keyboard > Press & hold the !?123 key to enable Num lock > Press "/"/ (The event log will appear) > BB Key > Clear Log > BB Key > Close. (This can be done from the homescreen.)

Uptime Screen (from Crackberry)
    In portrait:
    !?123 (alt), hold down a couple secs to lock, then 1 ? 7 1

In landscape:
    !?123 (alt), hold down a couple seconds to lock, then 2 * 9 2

This will tell you your Signal Strenght, Battery Level, among other things.

Search Email Sender
    Hold your finger over the received email for a couple of seconds and it will automatically do a search for and display only emails from that sender. Note - this does not appear to work with SMS and MMS.

Music into Ringtones
    Any song loaded into your Music media library can be made a ringtone by BB Key > Set as Ringtone.

Deleting Multiple Messages
    In any Inbox, tap and hold on one message. With a finger on it, touch to highlight another message. All messages in between will be highlighted too. You do not have to continue touching the first message - just touch up or down the list of messages and all will be highlighted. Great for mass deleting.

Misc
    I’ve been hearing that GPS works with Google Maps only if you do not open and use VZW navigator first. Apparently, VZW Navigator ‘locks’ the aGPS system to itself and disallows other programs from accessing it. (This is still up in the air from what I’ve read, so please correct me if I’m mistaken).

Desktop Manager prompts you to upgrade the phone’s software. I upgraded and it rolled me back a version. The most recent version is here http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/. I downloaded and installed – it worked perfectly. Now, I'm back to the version released on 11/21/2008.

To adjust the click depth of the screen, you can place a small piece of folded napkin, paper towel, etc., between the battery and battery cover. Once you fasten the door, the screen will not require as much of a "push" to click. I tried a small piece of paper towel folded one time and could notice a difference. Personally, I like the default click depth. Just something to try if you want. (idea from Crackberry)

I've found that if the phone is 'stuck' in landscape, pressing the Send key while in portrait will often times unfreeze it.
    Last edited by Moderator HF 9; 11-24-2008 at 09:08 PM.
    Hangin out.....

Feedback Score
    I've seen several complaints about inputting a series of #'s using the keyboard and having it revert back to letters and having to repress the 123 button each time you want to input a number. You can turn num-lock on by pressing and holding the 123 button down until the numlock icon appears. To remove num-lock, press the 123 button again.

Device(s)
    Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Keyboard Show/Hide:

Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to call up the keyboard. This works in almost all applications, even if you're not in a text entry field.

When the keyboard is showing, swipe down to hide it.
    Custom Storm Home Page - Home and HoFo
    stormcloud text and html encryption - Home and HoFo
    Storm OEM Sample Pictures - Home
    Custom Voyager Home Page - Home and HoFo

Device(s)
    GS6E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Nice tip list! Good, practical stuff that I didn't see elsewhere.

Some things you might want to add:

1) BB button opens menu, but also selects whatever is highlighted. Accordingly, when in landscape on the home screen, you can move icons with more ease by double clicking the BB button, moving the icon, then double clicking the BB button.

2) Holding the mute button while locked will put your phone in vibrate mode.

3) Touching (but not pressing) a webpage while browsing will put the toolbar away and vice versa.

4) All the default IM applications on the Storm (i.e., Yahoo, Live, GTalk, AIM) use data, and not SMS.

5) Holding the BB key down will bring up the application switcher. You can also set a convenience key to do the same.

6) Holding the Send key for a short duration will bring up the contacts list instead of the number pad.

7) Holding the !123 button will give you a numlock.

Might want to clarify that when placing the cursor in a specific spot, you hold until the cursor becomes an OUTLINE of a rectangle. When I was first learning this, I kept seeing only the filled rectangle, and couldn't get it to work.

Device(s)
    RIM: 9530, 8130, 7130e
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not exactly a trick, but I'm so happy I can send files to and from the phone using Bluetooth!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsense

1) BB button opens menu, but also selects whatever is highlighted. Accordingly, when in landscape on the home screen, you can move icons with more ease by double clicking the BB button, moving the icon, then double clicking the BB button.

3) Touching (but not pressing) a webpage while browsing will put the toolbar away and vice versa.

4) All the default IM applications on the Storm (i.e., Yahoo, Live, GTalk, AIM) use data, and not SMS.

5) Holding the BB key down will bring up the application switcher. You can also set a convenience key to do the same.

6) Holding the Send key for a short duration will bring up the contacts list instead of the number pad.

Might want to clarify that when placing the cursor in a specific spot, you hold until the cursor becomes an OUTLINE of a rectangle. When I was first learning this, I kept seeing only the filled rectangle, and couldn't get it to work.
    Good sfuff liquid! I especially like #6 - accessing the contacts by holding down the send key.

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Storm: BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.65 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote Originally Posted by rage151
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsense

Good sfuff liquid! I especially like #6 - accessing the contacts by holding down the send key.
    Agreed on that one and the browser tap for fullscreen, I kept doing it by accident but couldn't figure out how

Device(s)
    Moto Droid (Me)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since 2006);
    Feedback Score
    I agree - #6 is great. I missed that from my Curve but you gave great info on it!
    I am no longer an employee of VZW, I left on good terms and still think VZW is the best network in the U.S. and most helpful CSR's in any industry.

God Bless our U.S. Military.

Device(s)
    LG enV3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Is there any easier way of copying things that someone else has texted you? I'm having trouble getting it to the right position, it takes forever to get something i want copied
    Before:

After:

Previous Phones: Nokia 2125i, Samsung SCH-A950, LG VX4400, LG VX6000, LG VX8000, LG VX8100, LG VX9800, LG VX9900, Motorola q9m, HTC XV6800, Blackberry 8703e, Blackberry 8830 (World Edition), Blackberry 8330 (Curve)

Device(s)
    Storm - Luvin it! :)
    Carrier(s)
    vzw - I'm back, best signal.
    Feedback Score
    Haven't received mine yet (Monday?) but I do have two questions:
    1) I've read that holding the menu key shows you which apps are open and that too many apps open can really slow down operations. So, what is a reasonable number of apps to have open and how many start to slow things down. "too many" has not been clarified. This may not be stated accurately enough but like many Stormers, this will be my first BB.

2) how do we use bluetooth to send the entire phonebook? I have an Infiniti that will accept the entire phonebook from a phone that can send it all at once. This is a HUGE time saver in using the car's voice commands. The car does not use the phone's voice dial so even after downloading the phonebook, I still have to select which ones (up to 40) will be used as voice dial by name (can still use voice to dial numbers but the names are much faster).

T.I.A. And - GREAT THREAD! Thanks Rage, Liquid and everyone else who contributes!
    "The only stupid consumer is the one who denies himself enjoyment because of the opinions of others."
    Reconlabtech @ AVSForum

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eram
    Not exactly a trick, but I'm so happy I can send files to and from the phone using Bluetooth!
    I cant get this one to work.

Device(s)
    BB 8830
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tryn2getaclu
    Haven't received mine yet (Monday?) but I do have two questions:
    1) I've read that holding the menu key shows you which apps are open and that too many apps open can really slow down operations. So, what is a reasonable number of apps to have open and how many start to slow things down. "too many" has not been clarified. This may not be stated accurately enough but like many Stormers, this will be my first BB.

2) how do we use bluetooth to send the entire phonebook? I have an Infiniti that will accept the entire phonebook from a phone that can send it all at once. This is a HUGE time saver in using the car's voice commands. The car does not use the phone's voice dial so even after downloading the phonebook, I still have to select which ones (up to 40) will be used as voice dial by name (can still use voice to dial numbers but the names are much faster).

T.I.A. And - GREAT THREAD! Thanks Rage, Liquid and everyone else who contributes!
    I have an audi and it sync'd fine with it.

As for the number of apps open, it's best to close/exit the ones youre not using. Google maps is a hawg and i would presume any of the GPS functionality app will be like that

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Awesome thread! Thanks for the help guys.

Device(s)
    BB 9530
    Carrier(s)
    Crimped Verizon
    Feedback Score
    To press on a link with your finger, hold your finger on the link then wait for it to highlight and click

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Instead of hiding the keyboard everytime you try and send a message just hit the bb button twice to send.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast