Thread: Where is google going?

Device(s)
    ATT Skyrocket
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Where is google going?

Google has been doing some interesting things recently, but all I see are a bunch of pieces, and I can't put the puzzle together....

Chrome browser for the PC. The reviews are mixed at best on the beta. Nothing earth shattering, or at the most, another way to present basic browsing that you have to adjust to.

Google apps and google docs. The docs part is essentially a mini, web based MS Office, but on the web. Unlike openoffice which is installed on your pc, this opens the door to web only / web services collaboration and basic document management anywhere you get a browser. An old promise from the industry coming true. Looks good, but doesn't tie me to google for everything. I will come and use just it if it works (Its new and doesn't support mobile browsers yet. I can't get the docs to edit on Opera mobile 9.5, fyi)

Android Its seems to be much more a journey then destination right now. The integration of the phones interface, gps, contacts and google as a source portal have merit. However, do I want my entire portal life soldered to google, at the trade off of the rich application experience of winmo? No, I don't. How quickly will the other competing portals migrate their tools to a Google specific OS? Read the the boards on this for your own opinion:
    http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1447407

Add these things up, what does it mean?? These are all tools and say "me too!" (except google docs). Do we really need yet additional competing tools in a market that is flooded with them? More chat clients, more browsers, more mobile OS's? The frontier should be more in creative content.

This is not google bashing, just me not 'getting it'. I see energy and activities, but no clear formal direction. Nothing that says "forget all the other portals, I am sticking with only or mostly google". The strategy frontier should be in creative and accurate content. Devote all of the energy there. That's what will win me over.

What do you think? What am I missing?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Google apps/docs to create files/do stuff, chrome to access that site, android to run it all on.

Once they take down Microsoft/Palm, they can take over the mobile market. Add gOS to that, and a few contracts with PC manufacturers, and they can probably dominate the desktop market also.

I'm telling you: if the world won't end in 2012, then Google will take over the world.
    Anything below this statement isn't part of the post I just made.
    Past Phones: Nokia 3390, 6010, 6133, 5310, X2-02
    Motorola v635, SLVR, v300
    ATT Fuze, HTC Evo 3D
    Samsung Galaxy 4G

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Boy
    I'm telling you: if the world won't end in 2012, then Google will take over the world.
    Hmm... Is that necessarily a good thing? Is that what you want?

Sounds pretty scary to me. Whether it's Microsoft, Google, or any other company, no single entity should have complete dominance of the technology world.

Device(s)
    ATT Skyrocket
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I somewhat regret the original post. I don't feel any differently and I think its just my own issue. While I love phones and the related technical advances; it is functionality, capability and content that make my phone valuable to me. Despite researching it reasonably well, personally I can't find the warp jump to something better in all of this. A single portal casting a full shadow over my phone's "thick client" internet experience is not something that works for me.

I did resolve to stop being as ranty in 09 as I was in 08. I am almost there, just need to let this one go....
    (letting go....NOW)