Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why are Americans OK with being charged for _receiving_ SMS/MMS?

Device(s)
    Fujitsu F906i
    Carrier(s)
    NTT DoCoMo
    Feedback Score
    I wouldnt waste my time or money on virgin but just go with ATT in the US if you want unlimited prepay text its only 19.99

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile | $10 UNLIMITED EVERYTHING + $20 SPEED BOOST
    Feedback Score
    I am not charged for recieving international SMS! (or international calls for that matter)!
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!

Device(s)
    Fujitsu F906i
    Carrier(s)
    NTT DoCoMo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NexTel32708
    I am not charged for recieving international SMS! (or international calls for that matter)!
    is that international calls have to do with your call forwarding?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihe.Koa
    is that international calls have to do with your call forwarding?
    International calls are just free - no matter if I get a call from China, or Italy - it just takes from my bucket minutes (anytime/night/weekend). I think it's because in many foriegn countries the calling party pays. Therefore I don't.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NexTel32708
    International calls are just free - no matter if I get a call from China, or Italy - it just takes from my bucket minutes (anytime/night/weekend). I think it's because in many foriegn countries the calling party pays. Therefore I don't.
    If it takes minutes from your bucket it isn't free. Incoming calls in europe do not count towards any kind of minutes. It's like a home phone!

Device(s)
    Fujitsu F906i
    Carrier(s)
    NTT DoCoMo
    Feedback Score
    oh ok so it still charges you just not a higher fee then?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihe.Koa
    oh ok so it still charges you just not a higher fee then?
    Right. Right. Sorry for the confusion there.

Device(s)
    lg cu500 6230 b, 6682
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam917
    In most countries around the world, you are not charged for receiving a text or multimedia message; just sending them. Why are American (and possibly Canadian, if the model works the same there) consumers OK with such a model? I can understand paying for receiving calls here, as you can simply not answer the call & screen them most of the time, but you can't do that with SMS, which can come in any time and doesn't have to be at request.

You may say 'well there are packages & methods of blocking SMS/MMS, etc', but that's going around the issue here. Why should I have to pay (and at such insanely high rates of 10, 15, & 20 cents PER 160-CHARACTER MESSAGE) to receive these? Consumers elsewhere hav packages too, but they have more value as incoming messages are always free anyway.

Does anyone else here agree with me or is Howard Forums really that biased towards this rip-off design found only in at the most maybe 5 countries in the world? Has anyone approached people who work for or have a lot of knowledge about how the industry works about this & asked about why we are charged for something that is 100 % out of the users' control?
    i guess because we are dumb.
    eight years on hofo, n00b.

Trollers suck!
    IWDCP Sergeant

Device(s)
    Sierra Wireless AC597E Express Card (Sprint) + Sierra Wireless Compass 597 USB (Sprint-SERO)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    because people obsessed with texting and where there is a demand there is an opportunity

texting costs the cell services providers fractions of a penny...

basically 100% profit!

bottomline...what can one do? unless people decide to not use text messaging that the price will only go up

Device(s)
    LG 5300
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    That's the way things are in the USA. The owner of the cell phone pays for all calls and texts (incoming and outgoing). I know that in the rest of the world you only pay for outgoing calls and texts that you send, but that's the way it is here. Keep in mind that we also get unlimited nights and weekends, and unlimited calls to others on our network (that's something I've never seen in any other country). It probably all evens out in the end. Also, in the USA, your cell phone number is just like any other phone number: it has a 3-digit area code and a 7-digit phone number. In other countries (Peru, for instance) cell phone numbers are 9 digits long! The FCC wanted it that way so that there would be total competition between wire and wireless service. Personally, I would prefer that the calling party pay (as in other countries), but that's the way it is here, and it's not likely to change.
    Last edited by maynard7; 01-02-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Device(s)
    C510a, W610i
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T-mobile;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard7
    That's the way things have always been in the USA. The owner of the cell phone has always paid for all calls and texts (incoming and outgoing).
    Wrong. Got a whole list of them here...

ATTWS going back to around Y2K.
    T-mobile prepaid up until a couple of years ago.
    Boost up until 6-12 months ago.
    Virgin Mobile up until 12-18 months ago.
    Tracfone - some old ones still do free incoming.

The traditional price was a dime to send and free to receive. It was only when unmitigated greed took over that most of them set out to add an evil charge for incoming. Completely stinks because (except possibly tracfone) you cannot control who hits you with a text unless you have the service shut off. For voice of course you pay but you can ignore call from any number you don't recognize or like.

When Cingular set out to illegally double my agreed cost, I had it shut off. When T-mobile added cost for incoming I quit using it. Moved everything to S/E push mail.

Here is a nice article about what it really costs them and how customers are getting ripped: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/bu...digi.html?_r=1
    Prepaid Rocks!

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tszefr
    Wrong. Got a whole list of them here...

ATTWS going back to around Y2K.
    T-mobile prepaid up until a couple of years ago.
    Boost up until 6-12 months ago.
    Virgin Mobile up until 12-18 months ago.
    Tracfone - some old ones still do free incoming.

The traditional price was a dime to send and free to receive. It was only when unmitigated greed took over that most of them set out to add an evil charge for incoming. Completely stinks because (except possibly tracfone) you cannot control who hits you with a text unless you have the service shut off. For voice of course you pay but you can ignore call from any number you don't recognize or like.

When Cingular set out to illegally double my agreed cost, I had it shut off. When T-mobile added cost for incoming I quit using it. Moved everything to S/E push mail.

Here is a nice article about what it really costs them and how customers are getting ripped: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/bu...digi.html?_r=1
    They know how far the customers would go for what they want so the carriers own most customers. I bet most customer would rather pay the price than give up habits

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodakawa
    I bet most customer would rather pay the price than give up habits
    That's exactly what it is, and honestly for most people it's just cheaper to pay for the unlimited since it's just cheaper to pay the extra $20 than it is to pay for the amount of minutes you want.

For instance, i see accounts all of the time with the 450/select plan, and using only 80-120 mins a month, using ~15,000-20,000 txt messages a month.

Could you imagine how many minutes it would have taken to talk that much?

And honestly, is $59.99 for 450 anytime, free nights & weekends (even at 7 on some carriers), unlimited mobile to mobile, and unlimited messaging all that bad of a deal?

on verizon for example, that's 450 peak mins, 22,320 night and weekend minutes, whatever messages you can use in 30 days, and whatever m2m you use (i have seen accounts with over 7,000 m2m used)

so in short right off the bat, there's 22,770 mins available in the plan right there even before the m2m and messages used.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam917
    In most countries around the world, you are not charged for receiving a text or multimedia message; just sending them. Why are American (and possibly Canadian, if the model works the same there) consumers OK with such a model?
    I've often wondered the same thing. And also wondered why we in NA are so OK with paying to receive a voice call. Back in the late 80s, we were using the caller pays billing and it wasn't popular. Perhaps because the caller was paying so much more than to call a land phone.

I think the biggest reason we don't mind is we don't pay so much per minute to make a voice call or to send/receive a SMS or MMS. We pay MUCH less and our basic plans come with so many more minutes.

Sure, Europe has started providing a bucket of minutes per month just like we do but that is only a recent thing.

At this point, old habits die hard.

-B
    My evolution: Morse code key->Qualcomm 860->2760->Mot Accompli 008->009->mpx200->mpx220->Samsung i607 BJ I->i617 BJ II->i637 BJ III->Nokia E72->E73 ->E6->Mot NEXUS 6

Device(s)
    HTC Snap
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity F&F $25
    Feedback Score
    Well in Canada if you guys didn't know, 2 of 3 biggest network have their customer paying for SMS/MMS.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast