Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Why are Americans OK with being charged for _receiving_ SMS/MMS?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't think we'll ever see free incoming text, but it looks like some US carriers are starting to push towards more flat rate unlimited texting, which I like much better any way.

Feedback Score
    My carrier offers free incoming text - even for people roaming on them, when I had an out of state T-Mobile number I was never charged an incoming text....

MTPCS Cellular One in Montana if you're curious.

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    I agree it sucks, there are only a few ways to really get around this now other than blocking it.

Tracfone (if you dont open it and delete it instead you wont get charged IIRC)
    Net10 (Owned by Tracfone - Same applies)

So on Trac & Net10 you can at least see who texted you and call back if you want.

US Cellular (All incoming is free even if you read it, they also have unlimited incoming calls on most plans too which is an awesome deal if you get a lot of calls, or you can use grandcentral (or similar service))
    Cricket (I think they also work this way, on any plan...? - Not 100% sure.)

Either way it doesnt bother me much because I have a texting plan either way, and its unlimited.

Device(s)
    Samsung Eternity
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam917
    In most countries around the world, you are not charged for receiving a text or multimedia message; just sending them. Why are American (and possibly Canadian, if the model works the same there) consumers OK with such a model? I can understand paying for receiving calls here, as you can simply not answer the call & screen them most of the time, but you can't do that with SMS, which can come in any time and doesn't have to be at request.

You may say 'well there are packages & methods of blocking SMS/MMS, etc', but that's going around the issue here. Why should I have to pay (and at such insanely high rates of 10, 15, & 20 cents PER 160-CHARACTER MESSAGE) to receive these? Consumers elsewhere hav packages too, but they have more value as incoming messages are always free anyway.

Does anyone else here agree with me or is Howard Forums really that biased towards this rip-off design found only in at the most maybe 5 countries in the world? Has anyone approached people who work for or have a lot of knowledge about how the industry works about this & asked about why we are charged for something that is 100 % out of the users' control?
    Agree 100%, and no one's ok with it, but cell phone companies kinda got us americans by the balls

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihe.Koa
    I wouldnt waste my time or money on virgin but just go with ATT in the US if you want unlimited prepay text its only 19.99
    What I really like about them is 100 int'l texts/$10/month. Nice.

I think Cricket even offers unlimited int'l SMS.
    My evolution: Morse code key->Qualcomm 860->2760->Mot Accompli 008->009->mpx200->mpx220->Samsung i607 BJ I->i617 BJ II->i637 BJ III->Nokia E72->E73 ->E6->Mot NEXUS 6

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    What burns me is that this is about greed pure and simple... The carriers realized that they could do this--so they did.

It has to do with the kids--once the kids started texting, and it became a "must have" feature, then the parents were forced to pay up--and the carriers raised the rates.

My point: In 1999/2000-ish I was around 14, and I was one of 3 students in my class with a cell phone. The other 2 had Nokia 5165's on AT&T TDMA, and I had a Motorola StarTAC on USWest/Qwest Wireless CDMA (back when they had their own network)... As part of my data plan (which was like 5 bucks a month), it included simple updates/wap browsing on the phone, and *unlimited sms*... I thought it was pretty useless, since I knew NOBODY who could text (since the Nokias that kids were starting to get were 1-way only).

HOWEVER, by the time that people started getting phones that could send texts (my StarTAC was pretty high-end for a 14 year old--and my parents made me pay for my own phone and service), Qwest raised the sms price up to $2.99 for unlimited (no longer free with data), and I kept my unlimited grandfathered for free.

I went to Sprint in 2002, and got unlimited "ShortMail", which grandfathered in to Unlimited SMS when they came out with real SMS in 2004.... again, as more people were able to send SMS, they jacked the prices up even more! I was able to convert to SERO, where I sit today, with still unlimited SMS... and I've watched my generation (I'm 25 now) become addicted to their phones--and sms--and the generation below me start to scare me with the way the phone is tethered to their hip.....

So, do I agree that SMS is over-priced? DEFINITELY!!! This is a pure case of the carriers offering a service for FREE (as part of data--which is all it is!), and then jacking the price higher and higher as it becomes more popular, and the kids start whining if you pull it. As MANY people have said, it actually is CHEAPER for the carriers when people send a lot of sms instead of calling.

Luckily I am somewhat insulated--I've been able to hang on to an unlimited SMS plan in one form or another for almost 10 years now, and send around 2000 messages a month without worrying about a thing.

--Nat

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Curve 8330m (red)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    well if the OP is wonders why most americans don't care about paying for incoming thats b/c the people that do pay for it is a small percentage and most people have unlimited on their plan. I know T-Mobile is 14.99 last I check for unlimited per line or 20.00 for a family plan, AT&T is 20.00 per line for unlimited or 30.00 for family, I have Sprint and have Simply Everything unlimited, everything is unlimited for me period including text and calls and DC.. I have a Motorola Renegade V950 and DC is pretty darn cool to have lol. I pay $117 per month and I only have one line under my account and no I don't think the price is unreasonable and I like my plan and I couldn't live without unlimited text ( I send about 3000 per month and recieve the same amount usually) I use about 4000 voice minutes per month, and I use DC alot. Yet I am not a business customer just a regular consumer, the coverage is excellent and spritn has the best roaming agreements around so if I go out of sprint area I am covered. I also get a $5 recurrring credit each month for having paperless billing. No I don't get discounts or perks and I am very happy. You would have to pry my phone and service from my cold dead hands lol
    *Steven*

Device(s)
    Samsung Eternity
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I can't complain about my text plain: $10.00/month for essentially unlimited text. See when I signed up for my contract with my samsung Sync in 2007, AT&T had an Unlimited mobile-mobile texting plan. So I got the Media MAX 200 bundle + Unlimited M2M messaging. Cost me $25 for unlimited data, and unlimited text to all AT&T customers, and of course I get 200 messages to other networks. I only have 3 people out of all the people I text who aren't part of AT&T.

Kinda irritates me that AT&T dropped that though. Luckily I still have it on my plan.

Feedback Score
    no...it's because we don't have a choice; while traveling abroad; I always wondered how come so many people have cell phones; and I was told that only the person making the call pays; here in NA; apart from texting; both people pay unless they are on a plan that offers unlimited....one can only hope for the day we emulate cell phone usage as it's done all over the world.. the US & Canada...the caller pays...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon - Voice/Data/Text
    Feedback Score
    The funny thing is that this post is so out of touch with whats going on it makes me smile.. LOL

In every country I have been to, middle east nations, europeam nations and even japan, the people there pay way more then we do for services.. and now more than ever.. All carriers here in the USA are going thru so much competition that we are now getting unlimited calls and tex.. So if that was an issue in the past, it isn't anymore..
    • Which is the best provider in the USA? - POLL 2013 •

My Verizon's 4G LTE Network is Way Better than my own COX Cable Internet

(¯`• FerNey äKä BuźźeƦs •´¯)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4