Page 14 of 104 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung Epix Hack Compliation and Findings

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Tmoble, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cortez
    unless i'm missing something here, this is the same as going into Sounds & Notifications and disabling the "Display message on screen" option for email, voicemail, text msgs, etc. if you soft-reset or power off/on, the option value will change to 15 requiring you to go back and disable the display message option. am i missing something here?
    No I think you're right on track. I guess it was me that was missing something. lol

Well I'm glad it's a simple Settings menu option change verses having to do a reg edit.

[Optical Mouse]
    It seems to work great for me. I normally have it set to Mouse mode, but using Dpad mode works pretty well and is really responsive. I changed the Mouse speed to Fast... and it feels a lot better.

The only down side is you can't repeat a direction (like Hold down to scroll). So you are forced to either use the scrollbar, or constantly flick your thumb. If the default Contacts program was finger friendly and made use of finger flicks... there would be no problem.

Contacts is the only place I'm finding troubles. Fortunately I got my touchscreen calibrated perfectly. For corner objects and side bars... I found it very easy to use if you "roll" your thumb or finger inward until it grabs.

It might be at our advantage to increase the scroll bars width... to make them more finger friendly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKBKqm7v6n4

Free Dedicated Chat on your Nintendo Wii. Instantly find gamers to play with online.

You can find it here.
    Search

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Tmoble, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by player911
    HOW TO CHANGE THE SOFTKEY SETTINGS FOR THE HOME TAB IN MANILLA2D

add the following registry keys

[HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila2D\Home\SK1]
    [HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila2D\Home\SK1Cmd]
    [HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila2D\Home\SK1CmdParam]
    [HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila2D\Home\SK2]
    [HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila2D\Home\SK2Cmd]
    [HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila2D\Home\SK2CmdParam]

these are all "String" values

SK1 and SK2 are the strings that actually appear on the softkey

SK1Cmd and SK2Cmd are the commands that you want to run (path to exe file, I tried a "lnk" file [shortcut] and it didn't work)

SK1CmdParam and SK2CmdParam, I would assume these are any command line parameters that you want to pass to the command, but I have not tested them, I just know that Manila2D.exe tries to read them if SK1 or SK2 exists

EXAMPLE
    [HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila2D\Home\SK1] String - "S2U2"
    [HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila2D\Home\SK1Cmd] String - "\Program Files\S2U2\S2U2.exe"

I found a SWEET Contacts replacement that seems to work VERY well. PocketCM http://www.pocketcm.com/contact.php

The program is very responsive, skinable (comes with 2 themes), and works exceptionally well. Even has a SMS/Call History per contact... so you can see each call log.

Using the quoted method above, I assigned it to my Right Soft Key on the HTC Manilla 2D Homescreen by adding the SK2 regedits. I installed the program to my device for faster loading. Here were the values:
    [HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila2D\Home\SK2] String - "Contacts"
    [HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila2D\Home\SK2Cmd] String - "\Program Files\PocketCM\PocketCM.exe"

Now I have a Contacts program from the homescreen. This may even replace my "Phone" Left Soft key, as this program has it's own phone dialpad feature. It really works well. I'm impressed.

Another idea I might be to assign this to the Calendar hard button... so you can bring up your contacts anywhere.

I think it'll fix a lot of problems I'm having. Try it out and let me know. I'm going to look for a few more themes to see what I like first. It comes with "Dream" and "Black"... Dream is a nice Vista-ish theme... Black is, well, solid black. I'd like a black/grey theme with a little more dividers.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm finding that many of the things I didn't like were easily fixed with registry edits, but one major thing still plagues me: the damn touchscreen! It's not done right, and simple things like tapping and dragging the stylus to select multiple items is impossible on this device, for me, at least.

Two things I need to do that I need help with: one, I need to figure out how to change the left softkey to something other than phone. And two, does anyone know the registry key that needs to be changed to direct files received via bluetooth to a specific folder other than My Documents? I know with my TyTN II and Touch Cruise it was a simple matter of going into Bluetooth Settings and changing the folder there. That option isn't on the Epix, and I've combed through the registry looking for it but have had no luck so far.

Carrier(s)
    Fido | Roam Mobility | T-Mobile UK |
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PDADoc
    I'm finding that many of the things I didn't like were easily fixed with registry edits, but one major thing still plagues me: the damn touchscreen! It's not done right, and simple things like tapping and dragging the stylus to select multiple items is impossible on this device, for me, at least.

Two things I need to do that I need help with: one, I need to figure out how to change the left softkey to something other than phone. And two, does anyone know the registry key that needs to be changed to direct files received via bluetooth to a specific folder other than My Documents? I know with my TyTN II and Touch Cruise it was a simple matter of going into Bluetooth Settings and changing the folder there. That option isn't on the Epix, and I've combed through the registry looking for it but have had no luck so far.
    Try this for softkey remapping link
    Current Devices:

Sony xperia z3 compact 16GB + 64GB MicroSD locked BL
    Fido Galaxy S4 i337m
    Samsung Galaxy Camera 2
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2013 i7 2.8Ghz
    iPad Mini Retina 32GB Wi-Fi

Fido plans
    2x $56/mth unlimited everything + 2GB data
    1x $35/mth 5GB data-only plan

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

hey doc - did you try the screen calibration trick i used? basically you start the screen alignment app, complete the middle, left-top and left-bottom taps as normal, but for the right-top and right-bottom settings, tap just left-of-the-center crosshair. tapping the "X" and up-arrow now works as it should (for me). also, attached is a zip file that contains the OBEXFILE.dll used to "send files via bluetooth" to a specific folder. i got the settings from my Orbit 2. also found the remove security cab file that will disable the warning message you receive when you install programs. look in the middle of the post for a download link. my bluetooth registry changes are below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Obex\Service s\{ F 9ec7bc4-953c-11d2-984e-525400dc9e09}]
    "BaseDir"="\\Storage Card\\Bluetooth Share" <--Change to the folder of your choice
    "TransportEncrypt"=dword:00000000
    "TransportAuthenticate"=dword:00000001
    "Authenticate"=dword:00000000
    "CanWrite"=dword:00000001
    "Password"=""
    "Server"="\\Windows\\obexfile.dll"
    "BluetoothSdpRecord"=hex:35,41,09,00,01,35,03,19,1 1,06,09,00,04,35,11,35,03,19,01,00,35,05,19,\
    00,03,08,0A,35,03,19,00,08,09,00,06,35,09,09,65,6E ,09,00,6A,09,01,00,09,00,\
    09,35,08,35,06,19,11,06,09,01,00,09,01,00,25,03,46 ,54,50 <--Not sure if this is necessary, but i left in my registry anyway

sending files via bluetooth: first, i'm using the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack and don't know how this will work with the MS Bluetooth Stack. this hack is basically the same feature that exists in HTC phones's bluetooth settings that allow you to send files to a specific folder. (1) first i copied the dll file to the \Windows folder. (2) i created a folder on my storage card called "Bluetooth Share". if you want to use a different folder change the "BaseDir" name, (3) soft reset and (4) pair with your laptop and then send file to your device. hopefully this will work for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cortez; 11-03-2008 at 12:54 PM.
    cortez

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Tmoble, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Doc, if that program mickliq posted should work for you to simply replace the softkeys.

If your using the HTCTouchFlo Manilla 2D, you can use my regedit that was posted right above your post at #197.

SK1 = Left Soft Key
    SK2 = Right Soft Key

Right now I'm trying to remove AT&T's lock on the Hardkeys. Typically the softkeys should be programmable from the "Buttons" program in Settings. I don't understand the point of the program as it is now, because everything is locked.

Here are the keys as they're mapped in the registry:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Keys\]
    Each one key is a different button action (ex 40C6 = Camera Hold = Zoomer.lnk). I'm going to see if we can delete the default actions and add the Volume keys so we can easily change them from the Settings Menu.

Most of the problems with the Epix are AT&T's way of locking it down. Once we get a ROM kitchen going, we can have these restrictions gone by default.

It would be awesome if we could get a bunch of registry files, replacement files, and fixes all in a installable cab file. So we could install the 1 cab file instead of doing all these manually. That would be a miracle.

I'll post back with my findings about the Buttons Program.

[EDIT]I found that if you delete the values out of the Keys in the Registry... the SETTING >> BUTTONS will then allow you to change the values. I'm still trying to get the Volume buttons setup. I think the buttons are numbered... but knowing what the volume keys actually are will be a guess. I'm going to add a bunch of values and make them all Volumes and see which one sticks[\EDIT]
    Last edited by player911; 11-03-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    hey doc - did you try the screen calibration trick i used? basically you start the screen alignment app, complete the middle, left-top and left-bottom taps as normal, but for the right-top and right-bottom settings, tap just left-of-the-center crosshair. tapping the "X" and up-arrow now works as it should (for me). also, attached is a zip file that contains the OBEXFILE.dll used to "send files via bluetooth" to a specific folder. i got the settings from my Orbit 2. also found the remove security cab file that will disable the warning message you receive when you install programs. look in the middle of the post for a download link. my bluetooth registry changes are below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Obex\Service s\{ F 9ec7bc4-953c-11d2-984e-525400dc9e09}]
    "BaseDir"="\\Storage Card\\Bluetooth Share" <--Change to the folder of your choice
    "Password"=""
    "BluetoothSdpRecord"=hex:35,41,09,00,01,35,03,19,1 1,06,09,00,04,35,11,35,03,19,01,00,35,05,19,\
    09,35,08,35,06,19,11,06,09,01,00,09,01,00,25,03,46 ,54,50 <--Not sure if this is necessary, but i left in my registry anyway

sending files via bluetooth: first, i'm using the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack and don't know how this will work with the MS Bluetooth Stack. this hack is basically the same feature that exists in HTC phones's bluetooth settings that allow you to send files to a specific folder. (1) first i copied the dll file to the \Windows folder. (2) i created a folder on my storage card called "Bluetooth Share". if you want to use a different folder change the "BaseDir" name, (3) soft reset and (4) pair with your laptop and then send file to your device. hopefully this will work for you.
    Thanks for the file(s) and the info; I'll try it out when I get back to my office (taking a break between surgeries now). But regarding the bluetooth registry edits: do I have to input all that information you have above??? Or just navigate to a certain key and change the folder designation?

Thanks again!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Doc, if that program mickliq posted should work for you to simply replace the softkeys.

If your using the HTCTouchFlo Manilla 2D, you can use my regedit that was posted right above your post at #197.

SK1 = Left Soft Key
    SK2 = Right Soft Key

Right now I'm trying to remove AT&T's lock on the Hardkeys. Typically the softkeys should be programmable from the "Buttons" program in Settings. I don't understand the point of the program as it is now, because everything is locked.

Here are the keys as they're mapped in the registry:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Keys\]
    Each one key is a different button action (ex 40C6 = Camera Hold = Zoomer.lnk). I'm going to see if we can delete the default actions and add the Volume keys so we can easily change them from the Settings Menu.

Most of the problems with the Epix are AT&T's way of locking it down. Once we get a ROM kitchen going, we can have these restrictions gone by default.

It would be awesome if we could get a bunch of registry files, replacement files, and fixes all in a installable cab file. So we could install the 1 cab file instead of doing all these manually. That would be a miracle.

I'll post back with my findings about the Buttons Program.

[EDIT]I found that if you delete the values out of the Keys in the Registry... the SETTING >> BUTTONS will then allow you to change the values. I'm still trying to get the Volume buttons setup. I think the buttons are numbered... but knowing what the volume keys actually are will be a guess. I'm going to add a bunch of values and make them all Volumes and see which one sticks[\EDIT]
    @player911:

Thanks for the update, I eagerly await your progress!

Next on my list is figuring out how to get the camera app to use GPS for geotagging like on my HTC devices.

Carrier(s)
    Fido | Roam Mobility | T-Mobile UK |
    Feedback Score
    @player911:

Thanks for the update, I eagerly await your progress!

Next on my list is figuring out how to get the camera app to use GPS for geotagging like on my HTC devices.
    Not sure if this is what you mean?

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the file(s) and the info; I'll try it out when I get back to my office (taking a break between surgeries now). But regarding the bluetooth registry edits: do I have to input all that information you have above??? Or just navigate to a certain key and change the folder designation?

Thanks again!
    everything after the Services would need to be added. i used Resco Registry to export the key so that you (or anyone else) can import to their device. of course, i can't guarantee that this will work for everyone, but it worked for me on my Epix and TreoPro (when i had one). these instructions work when using Resco Registry.

1. first, extract and copy the registy file to your device, say My Documents.
    2. make sure you've already copied the obexfile.dll to the \Windows directory.
    3. now, using Resco Registry navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Obex\Service s. make sure that the "Services" key is highlighted.
    4. if you're using the mouse, press and hold the dpad to activate the right click menu and choose Export to backup your Services registry keys.
    6. next, using Resco Registry, choose Menu-->Import and select the folder where you copied the registry file from step 1. once selected you should see the file in the list box.
    6. click the registry file to start the import. you should see a message asking you to verify you want to import the file. chose yes (if you want to import). if successful, you'll get a message saying the import was successful.
    7. using Resco Registry, click the Services key and you should see a new key titled { F9ec7bc4-953c-11d2-984e-525400dc9e09} (without the space between the left bracket and the F.)
    8. click the key from step 7 and you should see the entries from my previous post.

"Password"=""
    "BluetoothSdpRecord"=hex:35,41,09,00,01,35,03,19,1 1,06,09,00,04,35,11, 35,03,19,01,00,35,05,19,\
    09,35,08,35,06,19,11,06,09,01,00,09,01,00,25,03,46 ,54,50

9. on your storage card, create a folder called "Bluetooth Share". this is where your bluetooth files should be sent to. if you want to use a different name, you'll have to modify the "BaseDir" settings.
    10. soft reset your device
    11. if you haven't already, create a relationship between your device and laptop/PC.
    12. try sending a file via bluetooth to your device. for me, it will connect to my device, send the file and show a message box indicating the transfer was successful.
    13. go to the Bluetooth Share folder on your storage card and confirm that the file is there. if it is, you're done.

hope this helps...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mickliq
    Not sure if this is what you mean?
    Sort of. On the HTC devices, there's a registry edit to allow the camera to use the built-in GPS to tag any photos taken that way with GPS coordinates.

It might not be possible on the Epix, but I'd prefer not to have to install a third-party app just to get that functionality. I would like to have it, if it comes down to installing something else, I can live without it.

But thanks for the info!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    everything after the Services would need to be added. i used Resco Registry to export the key so that you (or anyone else) can import to their device. of course, i can't guarantee that this will work for everyone, but it worked for me on my Epix and TreoPro (when i had one). these instructions work when using Resco Registry.

1. first, extract and copy the registy file to your device, say My Documents.
    2. make sure you've already copied the obexfile.dll to the \Windows directory.
    3. now, using Resco Registry navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Obex\Service s. make sure that the "Services" key is highlighted.
    4. if you're using the mouse, press and hold the dpad to activate the right click menu and choose Export to backup your Services registry keys.
    6. next, using Resco Registry, choose Menu-->Import and select the folder where you copied the registry file from step 1. once selected you should see the file in the list box.
    6. click the registry file to start the import. you should see a message asking you to verify you want to import the file. chose yes (if you want to import). if successful, you'll get a message saying the import was successful.
    7. using Resco Registry, click the Services key and you should see a new key titled { F9ec7bc4-953c-11d2-984e-525400dc9e09} (without the space between the left bracket and the F.)
    8. click the key from step 7 and you should see the entries from my previous post.

"Password"=""
    "BluetoothSdpRecord"=hex:35,41,09,00,01,35,03,19,1 1,06,09,00,04,35,11, 35,03,19,01,00,35,05,19,\
    09,35,08,35,06,19,11,06,09,01,00,09,01,00,25,03,46 ,54,50

9. on your storage card, create a folder called "Bluetooth Share". this is where your bluetooth files should be sent to. if you want to use a different name, you'll have to modify the "BaseDir" settings.
    10. soft reset your device
    11. if you haven't already, create a relationship between your device and laptop/PC.
    12. try sending a file via bluetooth to your device. for me, it will connect to my device, send the file and show a message box indicating the transfer was successful.
    13. go to the Bluetooth Share folder on your storage card and confirm that the file is there. if it is, you're done.

hope this helps...
    Thanks again for this! I'll do it when I get home, as it looks involved enough for me not to want to make any mistakes.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Tmoble, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I cannot add the registry keys to make the volume keys work. Adding keys only messes up the Messaging Button. But during my journey I found another key remapper that has a smaller footprint and is a lot more customizable.

The new Keymapping program: PQzII.cab http://www.sendspace.com/file/vdct83

It is different. The program is alittle more difficult, but I noticed scrolling using the Volume keys are ALOT faster. Launch the Program after installation from the Program folder. You'll notice a white square next to the start menu, tap and hold for a SETUP menu.

Once in setup, to change the volume keys... do this:
    - Check "Enable Volume Key Convert" in the Window section
    - in the Code section check "Use this Section" and Add a mapping:
    IN= VOL-U => OUT=UP
    IN=VOL-D => OUT=DOWN

It seems neat, but more complicated then it needs to be. I dunno if the speediness is worth the hassle.

Feedback Score
    I found this:

Tried this?
    http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...5_Tweaks_Other

Change the display of the clock in the taskbar
    The clock in the taskbar can be changed to show not only the time, but also the date, or just the date, or nothing at all.
    To show nothing:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\TBOpt = 0 (DWORD decimal)

To show just the clock:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\TBOpt = 1 (DWORD decimal)

To show just the date:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\TBOpt = 2 (DWORD decimal)

To show both the date and the clock:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\TBOpt = 3 (DWORD decimal)

Note 1: If you switch to the Analog clock display, the date will remain visible -through- the Analog clock
    Note 2: Setting the clock to show 'nothing' will still keep the reserved space, showing the taskbar background, and obscure any icons that will shift to the right.
    Note 3: Your date may get obscured by the space reserved for the OK/Close button in the top-right. You can fix this my adding spaces at the end of your 'Short Date Format'. See also the tweak on 'Change the Short Date Format'

( requires a soft reset, I believe )

911- thanks but I am unable to find this reg key- when I get to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\ I cannot find TBOpt

Maybe its a NOOB thing- thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanH
    I put the date and time on my top bar when I got it. I hate wasting today screen space for that. Here is my today screen.

I gave up on the Epix a few days ago and I am trying to sell it on Craigslist. It has way to many issues and neither Samsung or ATT have any interest in fixing them.

SeanH
    Sean - how did you get your apps to appear at the top? This doesn't appear to be a standard Today feature.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Tmoble, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Try creating that missing Key value.

Page 14 of 104 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 64 ... LastLast