Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Voyager vs BB Curve 8330

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Voyager vs BB Curve 8330

Well I always wanted a PDA and have been reading alot and finally decided to get the BB Curve... Man what a nice PDA/Phone. I loved the features and overall the way it works.

I took it back after two days of playing with it. I noticed that I could not goto certain websites like the voyager can... Mainly my Camera Server website I have set up. I can view the outside of the house with four cameras and my Voyager will display the page, but the BB Curve said Error 400 cannot display frames. I tried changing every browser setting in the curve with no luck. What gives. I thought these PDA's could do anything??? I guess not.

Also what gives Verizon. You go into a store to look and try cell phones and they are so worried that someone is going to steal a phone from the display (Verizon could disable anyway) they have to put a tie strap around the phone and it makes it impossible to try the phone out...

Device(s)
    Samsung SCH-a930
    Carrier(s)
    VerizonWireless
    Feedback Score
    did u try to see your camera site in miniopera? that displays some sites better.
    Signatures are Overrated

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GregSki80
    did u try to see your camera site in miniopera? that displays some sites better.

Nope... I Do not know what miniopera is? Is that a BB browser?

Device(s)
    Samsung SCH-a930
    Carrier(s)
    VerizonWireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kendive
    Nope... I Do not know what miniopera is? Is that a BB browser?
    its another web browser you can download and install. It does better than the BB Browser with page layouts.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    its another web browser you can download and install. It does better than the BB Browser with page layouts.
    Sounds kool... I guess I could not give that a try at a Verizon store or can I download this through the BB right there in the store?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have an idea. Can I load this miniopera to my Voyager? If it works with the Voyager it will work with the BB Curve right?

Device(s)
    LG VX9800
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    No? I took it by the clapping hands that was sarcastic...

Opera Mini runs only on PDA devices.

You should always purchase devices that tailor to your needs. If what you need is for that one webpage to work and the Voyager loads that page, then use the Voyager. =) Isn't technology awesome like that?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Glueeater
    No? I took it by the clapping hands that was sarcastic...

Opera Mini runs only on PDA devices.

You should always purchase devices that tailor to your needs. If what you need is for that one webpage to work and the Voyager loads that page, then use the Voyager. =) Isn't technology awesome like that?

But you know how it is... I want a PDA... I always been looking to get one and I found one I like... The BB 8330

Like I said I really liked that Curve... and I am starting to hate touch screen phones. I feel the technology is not there yet... I guess I will goto to a Verizon store and try my web site with OperaMini and the Curve... I will also demand they take the demo out from the Tie Strap so I can really try the phone properly...

Device(s)
    VZW: LG Voyager, Blackberry STORM 9530 & Curve 8330
    Carrier(s)
    VERIZON ROCKS (Why would I need anyone else?)
    Feedback Score

I took it back after two days of playing with it. I noticed that I could not goto certain websites like the voyager can... Mainly my Camera Server website I have set up. I can view the outside of the house with four cameras and my Voyager will display the page, but the BB Curve said Error 400 cannot display frames. I tried changing every browser setting in the curve with no luck. What gives. I thought these PDA's could do anything??? I guess not.
    Opera Mini is your friend :-)

http://www.operamini.com/

It's free!

Also for a detailed comparison of the two I wrote a while back take a look at

http://www.voyager-lg.com/index.php/topic,2704.0.html

EDIT: OK I just reread this review and it is quite a bit out of date as far as the OS/browser goes but you get the gist. 4.5 adds html email and the browser has improved a bit more.
    Tim

* Bold or Storm. Bold or Storm . . . MEH, one of each for the best of both words!
    * My iPod is a Blackberry STORM ;-)
    * The Blackberry Storm 9530 (Verizon) DOES NOT have WiFi -- PERIOD! If that's a deal breaker for you then don't get the phone.
    * Confused about Blackberry voice and data plans?

Quote Originally Posted by mkleiman
    [P]eople who hope the Storm becomes an iphone have probably chosen the wrong phone. Just as people who hope the iphone becomes a blackberry will also continue to be disappointed.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovak75
    Opera Mini is your friend :-)

http://www.operamini.com/

It's free!

Also for a detailed comparison of the two I wrote a while back take a look at

http://www.voyager-lg.com/index.php/topic,2704.0.html

EDIT: OK I just reread this review and it is quite a bit out of date as far as the OS/browser goes but you get the gist. 4.5 adds html email and the browser has improved a bit more.
    Good Read... You put it just the way it is...

I probably will go back and try the BB Curve again. I should have kept it longer, but I will give it another chance.

Device(s)
    LG enV TOUCH
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Curve>Voyager for sure.

Opera Mini is great for sites that only work and look good with viewing them like an actual page. The zoom in/out funtions and fast loading of the Opera browser are great.

But if you do go back to using the BB, you'll find yourself using both browsers for different things.

***Why so serious?***

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carpediembp
    Curve>Voyager for sure.

Opera Mini is great for sites that only work and look good with viewing them like an actual page. The zoom in/out funtions and fast loading of the Opera browser are great.

But if you do go back to using the BB, you'll find yourself using both browsers for different things.

Yea I wish I knew about the Opera Mini... That would be sweet if Firefox made a browser for the BB.

I thought about getting a VX6800 but it's almost twice the size and weight as the BB Curve... I do like to be able to hack the phones I have been hacking for a long time now and it seems there is not much you can do with a BB...

Device(s)
    Moto Droid w/CM6RC2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I do like to be able to hack the phones I have been hacking for a long time now and it seems there is not much you can do with a BB...
    I haven't felt a need to hack the Blackberry. Everything I needed to hack my Moto's and LG's for I can do through DM and OTA. Upgrading the OS, themes, even something as minor as adding ringtones and getting pictures on/off the phone is a piece of cake.
    I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Device(s)
    VZW: LG Voyager, Blackberry STORM 9530 & Curve 8330
    Carrier(s)
    VERIZON ROCKS (Why would I need anyone else?)
    Feedback Score
    Yea I wish I knew about the Opera Mini... That would be sweet if Firefox made a browser for the BB.
    There have been rumors of themn doing one but so far nothing concrete. Storm (the touch screen) is going to use webkit the same as iToy so hopefully BB will eventually just put that on all of their devices. The 4.5 os has improved the browser quite a bit but not as much as it should be.

As has been said, you will find yourself using BOTH browsers and unfortunately the bb shortcuts you can download from various sites and the third party aps that use the browser (google) use the default BB browser.

BB has a slightly larger learning curve than so called "dumb phones" -- my fist couple weeks I got really frustrated -- but once you get into it you realize how much more you can do and overall how superior they are in almost every respect.

The biggest things that keep me using both a Voyager (tall and text) and bb (email, web, organizer) is the sixze and shape of the phone (it's really comfortable to hold and talk on) AND the qwerty keyboard. BB's is nice but having to use the ALT button every time I want to sue a number and punctuation in all different places bugs me. I'm getting more used to it but it still bugs me.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovak75
    There have been rumors of themn doing one but so far nothing concrete. Storm (the touch screen) is going to use webkit the same as iToy so hopefully BB will eventually just put that on all of their devices. The 4.5 os has improved the browser quite a bit but not as much as it should be.

As has been said, you will find yourself using BOTH browsers and unfortunately the bb shortcuts you can download from various sites and the third party aps that use the browser (google) use the default BB browser.

BB has a slightly larger learning curve than so called "dumb phones" -- my fist couple weeks I got really frustrated -- but once you get into it you realize how much more you can do and overall how superior they are in almost every respect.

The biggest things that keep me using both a Voyager (tall and text) and bb (email, web, organizer) is the sixze and shape of the phone (it's really comfortable to hold and talk on) AND the qwerty keyboard. BB's is nice but having to use the ALT button every time I want to sue a number and punctuation in all different places bugs me. I'm getting more used to it but it still bugs me.
    Yea the Voyager would be nicer to hold and talk on but I use a Bluetooth headset about 99% of the time when I talk with them so that would not be an issue with me...

The only thing I would miss is to be able to tether the phone to the laptop once in a blue moon (don't do it often) without paying $15-60 a month for it... It's not worth the money... You pay big bucks for the data plan and they want more to tether it to a laptop???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast