Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Tethering MetroPCS w/ Samsung SCH-r450 - Success!!

Feedback Score
    Try doing this. Go into internet explorer and into tools then internet options. Go into the "Connections" tab and then on the bottom, there is a button called "LAN Settings". UNder LAN settings, check the Proxy Server Box and enter "wap.metropcs.net" and the port "3128". See if that works.

Quote Originally Posted by wegoshop
    I do not get the option to set proxy or port. So thats why you do not see it listed in my steps.

I can and do get to internet options, tools, connections. When I go to create a connection via the Samsung CDMA modem and input the dial up number, user name, password and try to connect I get a message that says cannot create connection and thats it. All I can do from there is cancel and close it. I do not get the opportunity at any given time to set proxy and port settings. I see the Settings button there, but it is not clickable.

Device(s)
    Samsung Fascinate
    Carrier(s)
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NickPP
    Try doing this. Go into internet explorer and into tools then internet options. Go into the "Connections" tab and then on the bottom, there is a button called "LAN Settings". UNder LAN settings, check the Proxy Server Box and enter "wap.metropcs.net" and the port "3128". See if that works.
    I have tried this too and it does not work, plus it says this setting is not for dial up.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6265i sold for too much money :)
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    that's very odd. you don't happen to be in the detroit area do you? if so i would be happy to check it out.
    Poma Computers Facebook Page

BTM and Bangin Magazines

Hanging out at a photo shoot. Yes, the screen name really does say it all.

Device(s)
    Samsung Fascinate
    Carrier(s)
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by allmanallpimp
    that's very odd. you don't happen to be in the detroit area do you? if so i would be happy to check it out.
    No sorry. I am in Sacramento.

Device(s)
    Samsung Messager r450, SCH-i760/i760
    Carrier(s)
    PPC fully on PPC!
    Feedback Score
    Great now if there was a way to get it to play videos I'd be all set...

I can't believe and just don't buy that out of all the features this phone has theres no way to play videos, movies or recorded from another phone..

Feedback Score
    Do not lose hope Wegoshop! Come on everybody!!!... we must be like the Navy Seals and "Leave nobody behind!" I THINK I have the solution for you Wegoshop.

The reason for my enthusiasm is that I followed Wegoshop's posts through this thread and everyone's responses. As I read along, I was trying to get my MetroPCS Samsung R450 Messenger to tether with my laptop also. I was running into the exact same problems that Wegoshop was along the way. I was also feeling the same frustrations that Wegoshop was. It seemed as though I was doing everything that everyone said. And everybody else was able to connect very easily. So, what is it with Wegoshop and me (TJPublicly)? What makes us so different? This is unfair cellularacism! It's anarchy I tell you!

OK. Back to sanity. Wegoshop, after following the entire thread through, I ended up in the same place as you... tetherless. But, I was able to piece together enough things along the way to figure out what I (and I hope you also) was missing. So, follow the steps below. I realllllly hope they help you. I felt your pain brother.

Most of this is redundant of jd_swfla's post, except for little nuances. Also, I added A LOT more excruciating detail based on the steps in Vista in order to avoid (as much as possible) misunderstandings.

I am running Windows Vista; and I also thought that could be the problem... until others demonstrated how FRICKIN EASY it was for them on Windows Vista! You intelligent people drive me nuts! IQ is overrated in my opinion. It's the thought that counts... so there!

Also: I originally tried this via Bluetooth and could not get it to work. Then I switched to the USB cord and got it to work. So, this is all assuming that you are using the USB data cord to connect. If you are using Bluetooth, I cannot say this will or will not help you.

(1) Download and install Samsung PC Studio (it will hook up the proper drivers for Samsung CDMA Technologies)

(2) On your phone, press MENU, then "9", then "#"... use code "587846". Select the bottom option, "DUN". Check "ENABLE".

(3) For WINDOW VISTA people, (and probably XP also) click on Start/ Control Panel/ Internet Options.

(4) You should have a dialogue window open now with the title of "Internet Properties" (Funny... you selected "Internet Options" and got... "Internet Properties"... coincidence?.. I don't think so...) at the top and 7 different tabs starting with "General" and ending with "Advanced". Click on the "Connections" tab.

SPOILER WARNING... THIS IS WHERE THE STORYLINE HAS A TWIST AND THE PLOT THICKENS!!!... I think. At least it did for me.

(5) Make sure you have securely plugged in the USB connection from your PC to your R450 phone. If it is not plugged in, you will not see all the options that you need to see in the next steps. If it is not plugged in, plug it in now before moving on to step 7.

(6) On the "Connections" tab, click on the "Add..." button on the right.

(7) You should now see a dialogue box with the title "Connect to the Internet" at the top. You probably see the following three (very large, man-eating, overly sized) option buttons. (a) Wireless, (b) Broadband (PPPoE), and (c) Dial-up. Click on the overly-sized "Dial Up" button.

(8) You probably see at least two modems listed (again - they are on big, monstrous, man-eating, and overly-sized buttons). One modem is your PC's internal modem probably. Beside that one you should see a modem identified as "SAMSUNG CDMA Modem". This is your cell phone. SPECIAL NOTE: IT WILL NOT APPEAR as an option if your phone is not connected to your laptop via USB at this time. (Again - ignoring Bluetooth stuff right now) Click on the monster sized "SAMSUNG CDMA Modem" button.

(9) Now you will (hopefully) see a dialogue box titled "Connect to the Internet". Fill in the following values for the following fields:

Note: The "Connect" button is grayed out right now and unavailable.

- Dial-up phone number: #777

- User name: [your cell phone 10 digit number]@mymetropcs.com

- Password: mymetropcs

- Show characters:

[Check or un-check... does not really matter other than for security; in case someone is lurking over your shoulder. You may want to uncheck and make sure you typed the password correct and then check the box again to hide the password.]

- Remember this password: [CHECK THIS BOX]

- Connection name: MyMetroPCSDialUp [You can put whatever, but put "MyMetroPCSDialUp" for consistency later on here]

- Allow other people to use this connection: [Up to you, I would leave it unchecked]

Notice that the "Connect" button is no longer grayed out.

(10) Click on the "Connect" button.

SPOILER ALERT: ANOTHER SURPRISE TURN OF EVENTS!
    (11) You should see your cell phone screen change and your pc work on and test the connection. Then you should see a dialogue box that has a man-eating button that reads, "Browse the Internet now". If you click this button now... it will probably fail. (Nice huh?) It will fail because you have not set the proxy and port settings yet for HTTP for this modem. You can avoid clicking this button for now. Or...tell you what... go ahead, click it and watch it fail. You can still correct it. Go ahead and click it. Seriously. Click it. CLICK IT DAMITALL!!!!

(12) Now that you clicked the "Browse the Internet now" button and watched it so gracefully launch Internet Explorer (IE) and then fall on its face, do the following.

(13) You may have noticed the "Set Network Location" dialogue box appear right before the Internet Explorer window popped up. If you do not see the "Set Network Location" dialogue box, look for it hidden behind the IE window. Here, (on "Set Network Location") I typically select the man-eating "Private" button. But, you should select what is best for your situation. I found selecting Public caused other issues I think. So, select Private for now and then deal with changing or deleting it later.

(13) In the Internet Explorer menu bar, click on the "Tools" button. Then click on "Internet Options".

(14) You should see the same dialogue window that you saw in step 4, titled "Internet Options." You should see the same 7 different tabs starting with "General" and ending with "Advanced". Click on the "Connections" tab.

(15) On the "Connections" tab, you should see a white text box in the middle titled "Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings." Within that white text box, you should see the connection that we just created! If you used same name as me, then it is "MyMetroPCSDialUp (default)". Single-click on that "MyMetroPCSDialUp" option to make sure it is selected. Then click on the "Settings" button on the right side.

(16) Now you should see a dialogue box titled "MyMetroPCSDialUp settings". In the middle of the dialogue box, you should see a section titled "Proxy Server" Set the following values for the fields in that section.

- Use proxy server for this connection: [Check this box on]
    Now the other following options become available.
    - Address: wap.metropcs.net [Note that it is .net, not .com]
    - Port: 3128
    - Bypass proxy server for local databases: [Leave this UNchecked]

Note that you should see your settings already filled in below in the "Dial-up settings" section. User name and Password should be completed. Leave “Domain:” blank. If Password is blank, fill it in again... mymetropcs

(17) Click "OK". You are back at the "Internet Options" box. Click "OK" Here also.

(18) Now click the "Refresh" button in Internet Explorer. You should get prompted with a dialogue box of "Dial Up Connection". If you do not see it, look for it behind the IE window. It should show your "MyMetroPCSDialUp" listed in the "Connect to:" box. If not, then select it. Make the "Connect Automatically" checked on. Click the "Connect" button.

(20) Hopefully you should see a "Successfully set network settings" message. Click the "Close" button.

(21) Now click the "Refresh" button in Internet Explorer again. If you get an error, close all IE windows and open a brand new one.

(22) Go to https://www.gmail.com It should come up OK. (Note this one is https while the next is http)

(23) Go to http://www.google.com. Do a search on a string of text. It should come up OK.

If step 22 above worked, but step 23 did not, then there is something wrong with your proxy settings. Try to fix it or start over from step 1.

I hope this helps!

Keep on rocking in the free world! Cheers!

Feedback Score

Wegoshop, see my post #66

No sorry. I am in Sacramento.
    Wegoshop, see my post #66! I hope it helps. I was feeling your pain all the way through this thread. I finally was able to get mine tethered. I think you and I were just missing a couple key points that others assumed were understood.

Device(s)
    Samsung Fascinate
    Carrier(s)
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score

TJPublicly

Thanks for the guide, as it looks a little more workable, but its still not working for me.

In fact the very first time I hooked up my phone to the laptop all of the drivers loaded as well and I never needed (as far as I know) Samsung PC Studio, because I would get the Samsung CDMA Modem option in my list of Modems.

Since then though I downloaded the PC Studio and now have lost the Samsung CDMA Modem option. What I get now is the option of Samsung GPRS Modem. I have now removed the Samsung GPRS Modem from my list of modems and now I cannot get Vista to recognize my phone as any type of modem connected via USB to my computer with or without PC Studio.The only option that I have is my internal one.

My problem has always been, when pushing that "Connect" button (step 10 of your tutorial) for the first time (even when I had the Samsung CDMA Modem in my modem list), the only message I would receive was "The Wizard Cannot Create The Connection" and I had no other option but to quit. I have never got as far as "Browse the Internet Now" (step 11 of your tutorial)

Therefore I am still tetherless. Thanks anyhow.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the guide, as it looks a little more workable, but its still not working for me.

In fact the very......
    Darn. Sorry about that. I did think of one more thing that I wish I had mentioned. I will call them steps 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 to occur after step (1). When I did this both the Studio 3 app and Vista installed new updates related to the modem. Perhaps you need an update. The Windows Update applied a second update after the first one when I ran it a second time. That is why I repeat it below.

(1.1) Open the Samsung Studio 3 app and click on tools/"Check For Updates". Let it apply any updates it needs.
    (1.2) Close the Studio 3 app and then click on Start /Windows Update. Check updates and apply all updates.
    (1.3) Repeat step 1.1.
    (1.4) Repeat step 1.2.
    (1.5) Reboot PC and reboot cell phone.

If this doesn't work, the only other options I can think of are two utility apps that I use on my PC: (a) Registry Mechanic (You can try it for free I believe), and "Driver Detective". Registry Mechanic cleans up your registry and I have never had a problem as a result of running it. (Some people are scared of anything that touches their registry even though RM is awesome). If you have a registry problem, RM probably will fix it... along with a lot more that you don't even know you have. Driver Detective scans all your current drivers and compares them to their database of the latest version and identifies which drivers have new updates available. I was a little skiddish of this at first. But, it really does work well.

If you try any of these steps let me know what your results are. Best of luck. I will post anything else I can think of. Either way, my opinion is that RM and DD (or similar products) are well worth the purchase price regardless of this situation. Good luck. Let us know.

If this doesn't fix your situation, then I really am stumped.

Feedback Score
    Uhhh... Is my mention of the Registry Mechanic and the Driver Detective products above considered a violation of the forum rules? I am a consumer of these products, not a seller of them. My intention is not to promote the products but offer a possible solution to the problem. My intention is not to advertise anything. I have no vested interest in these products other than they work for me. I hope I am OK here. Forum admins, please let me know and I will comply with whatever is the rule. I read the forum rules, but after posting, I wondered if it violated the rules. I don't believe it does but there is room for interpretation that I may not interpret the same as you do. I am happy to comply with this forums interpretation. Let me know. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Wegoshop. Go see my new thread. I think I found some extra details that might help you.

Feedback Score

Question retarded?

So, I have XP, and I just want to link my phone to my PC...I don't need the internet deal since this is a desktop..

I am pretty computer literate..
    Yet, I cannot get the Samsung program to connect to my phone via USB..

I have uninstalled and reinstalled every driver on the phone to make sure the samsung program loads the correct drivers..
    And I close out the USB mode on the phone..
    yet the program will still not read the phone..
    I have updated the program completely.

I have the phone connected to the back of the PC w/o any splitters etc.
    Rebooted the phone and Pc multiple times..
    Am I missing something?

this is my first post on this amazing forum
    I hope this can be resolved

thanks!

Feedback Score
    What about the Samsung R210? Would is also work for that? Thanks,

Device(s)
    Nokia 6265i sold for too much money :)
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thejax
    What about the Samsung R210? Would is also work for that? Thanks,
    i haven't tried with the r210 yet, but i would definitely give it a shot if you have one.

Feedback Score
    I have an R-210 but no data cable. But since this is one of the most cheapest phone for MetroPCS, I would love to see someone tether with it and make a thread about it.

Can it be done?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast