Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Are there any apps to give an accurate battery meter reading?

With all the battery issues reported with iPhone 3G I would really like an accurate battery meter to which I can refer, whether it's bundled within a greater app or stand alone.

Does anyone know if there anything like this yet? Thank you in advance.

GSY

Phone
    iPhone 3G White
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i have a jailbroken phone and i have my battery meter in numeric form. 100 being fully charged and it slowly goes down during the day.

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Thanks for the reply but I'm not jailbroken and was wondering

if anything like you descibed is available in Apple's App Store.

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    nothing in the app store
    Current arsenal: iPhone 5S 16GB / 13" Retina Macbook Pro 2.5ghz 8GB ram / iPad 2 WIFI 16GB / Apple TV 2 / Slingbox Solo / Acer Aspire Z5610 touchscreen all-in-one / Acer Aspire netbook

Fallen soldiers: iPhone 5 16GB / iPhone 4S 16GB / iPhone 4 16GB / iPhone 3G 8GB / BlackBerry Pearl 8100 / Motorola L6 SLVR / Nokia 5190, 3390, 8390, 3220 / Ericsson T18z / Mitsubishi G310 / Motorola C333 / Sony Ericsson T237

Phone
    Blackberry 8900
    Carrier
    fido
    Feedback Score
    you need to jailbreak and install boss tools. It has a numeric batery enabler

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ok. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    someone should make an app that gives a numerical number because not everyone wants to JB there phone

Phone
    ST iPhone 5 ATT ST BYOP SIM
    Carrier
    Straight Talk MVNO
    Feedback Score
    Sure, then again a lot of folks would like to cut and paste, landscape text, etc.

Phone
    iPhone 4 16GB
    Carrier
    AT&T.
    Feedback Score
    Numeric battery meters are NOT more accurate. We went through this same foolishness on the early iPods.

They only give the appearance of accuracy. The system takes a =guess= at battery capacity and remaining charge and current draw, depending on how the phone is being used, and draws that little bar based on the numeric result. You can display that number instead of the bar, but even if it was calculated out to 20 decimal places, all it would be doing is showing the result of all that guessing and estimating.

The battery bars on most small consumer electronic devices are there to remind you it's time to recharge and that's all. Even on larger devices, like laptops, the degree of accuracy is only slightly better. There's no practical way around this.

-dan

Phone
    Carrier
    Straight Talk MVNO
    Feedback Score
    Don't disagree but anything would be better than the miniscule green 'bar' there now.

Phone
    iPhone 4 16GB
    Carrier
    AT&T.
    Feedback Score
    Why?

Not trying to pick a fight but am genuinely curious what info you think the number would give you that the bar doesn't. Would a "50" mean that you have precisely half the number of hours left that you did when the battery was fully charged? No. Does half the bar showing mean that? No.

Both mean the same thing: under present use conditions, there's about half of the charge left which will last an unknown number of minutes or hours.

I understand why you want better info, but fear that it is not a realistic expectation with current technology.

-dan

Phone
    Carrier
    Straight Talk MVNO
    Feedback Score
    NP. I'd just settle for a larger bar. :-)

Phone
    IPhone 3G
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would also really appreciate some type of numeric meter. HP, I understand your point regarding the accuracy, but as the battery level dips below half charged, I would personally prefer a % guesstimate over the current visual option. If the % guesstimate is within 5-7% of the actual battery strength, that would work better for me than the eyeballing it method.

My ultimate preference would be an accurate numeric battery meter app and an app that measures battery performance so I can have a more precise understanding of how much energy specific apps, 3G, GPS services, and so on are zapping. I understand that certain functions must be disabled at times to conserve the battery (which is a shame) and I keep a charger in the car, at home and at work, but considering the poor battery performance of the 3G phone, battery apps would be very useful.

Phone
    Carrier
    Straight Talk MVNO
    Feedback Score
    Appleites will probably say 'it's not the Apple way' to do this. I suspect they don't want to display a numeric 'gas guage' especially with a non-removeable battery.