Thread: Alltel Blackberry Question

Feedback Score

Alltel Blackberry Question

Sorry if this has already been asked. I know that you can't buy a Blackberry without a smart choice plan, but couldn't I buy a Blackberry off ebay and then call and activate it over the phone with a normal plan? I know you can buy a verizon phone and activate it on Alltel's network by just giving the customer service rep the ESN. Why cant you just do this with a blackberry (from Alltel or Verizon). Your answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Want to make easy cash online for free? Click here to find out how.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You sure can.

Then overnight during an audit. The 44.99 BB feature will be added to that line.

Device(s)
    DROID
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    44.99 seems to be alot for a bb plan since you can get a email web plan with verizon for 29.99

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzdar
    44.99 seems to be alot for a bb plan since you can get a email web plan with verizon for 29.99
    It is more expensive than Verizon for the stand alone code. That is if you don't change to one of the smart choice plans, which are cheaper. But to each there own. Blackberries on CDMA have to have a data plan, because they constantly talk to the towers for BIS or BES. You wont be able to activate a bb on a non data plan. Which is why Alltel will throw on the bb standalone code.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I would call customer care to make sure you can before you buy the Verizon device.

Feedback Score
    I activated a verizon blackberry without a data plan on alltel and voice worked perfect.

however, 2 months later - boom they added the 44.95

it's all good - im happily paying for my data.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    if you don't mind my asking how did you get a verizon blackberry using data on alltel? I just tried to get one activated and they couldn't get it to work...

Device(s)
    Motorola Q (Alltel)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You were probably on a Verizon tower, so the OTA activation couldn't work. And the BB will work without the Stupid Ripoff plan. Just turn the data services off. Then they shouldn't see because it won't even try to access BIS. : ) Let me know if you need to know how.
    Scott M. in New Mexico

Here's a laugh: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=11989818

Carrier(s)
    @lltel (awcc/atni)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmac112
    You were probably on a Verizon tower, so the OTA activation couldn't work. And the BB will work without the Stupid Ripoff plan. Just turn the data services off. Then they shouldn't see because it won't even try to access BIS. : ) Let me know if you need to know how.
    the blackberry audit is done by ESN
    "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm. "- FDR

Device(s)
    Motorola Q (Alltel)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So the BBs are assigned blocks of ESNs? Darn. Well, never mind! Can't be done. But I don't know how my Treo has gotten away with eight months on a Greater Freedom plan.

Carrier(s)
    @lltel (awcc/atni)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmac112
    So the BBs are assigned blocks of ESNs? Darn. Well, never mind! Can't be done. But I don't know how my Treo has gotten away with eight months on a Greater Freedom plan.
    they dont track the other smart devices by ESN....

there is a really neat tool..im sure all cell carriers have..that you can input an ESN, and 99% of the time it can tell you the make and model.....i know sometimes if you call tech support and you give them the esn they already know what type of phone it is.....

but yeah..blackberrys can be tracked by esn....

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    a quick update i got my curve working on alltel i had a settting wrong that was throwing everything off but it works data and everything i'm extremely happy considering the deal i got on the phone in the first place. I wanted data and bis because i already had a pearl with it but for a while they couldn't get the data side working anyway works great now...