Thread: Use cdma blackberry on other cdma network?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Use cdma blackberry on other cdma network?

I've searched extensively on this forum and others and i have done my share of ppc flashing etc, but i have yet to come across a definitive answer as to whether a Sprint Blackberry could be used on Alltel service with full features working..i realize its possible to load alltel os and use text and phone but is it possible to get full functionality? I would think the main hurdle would be the settings like on a ppc. I was able to get my sprint ppc 6700 internet working with alltel . And yes i realize you would have to have the bis plan which i have on my pearl currently its just i came across a real good deal on a sprint curve i was looking at trying to get working on my alltel account. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

I'm not aware of any CDMA carriers that allow "foreign" network devices on their network (other than roaming).

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It would probably be more work than it is worth. Alltel would have to recognize the ESN somehow. I haven't ever seen it done before.

Device(s)
    BB 9810 is primary
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Generally, the CDMA carriers do not allow a competitor's phone on their network. That is changing little by little, but still not enough to say you can do it. BB's have an ESN and PIN which are used to identify the device for both the carrier and RIM, therefore, if the ESN isn't in the carrier's database of phones, then you would most likely be out of luck. A new OS or flashing wouldn't help.

Now when Alltel becomes part of Verizon, the real question becomes will Verizon then allow Alltel devices on their network or will their customers have to get Verizon devices?

Device(s)
    htc 6800
    Carrier(s)
    alltel
    Feedback Score
    First and Foremost, Alltel never has a problem with activating a foreign ESN I have done it NUMEROUS times. You just don't tell them that it's not a Alltel phones.

I haven't been able to test a blackberry, Would make an interesting challenge. Though the main issue would be determining the issue that would cause with the blackberry connection. Basically if that particular esn/pin is locked in to that provider on the blackberry side, if not I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Then of course getting your hands on the correct firmware.

May have to see if i can get my hands on a sprint bb and test that theory.

Device(s)
    HTC HD2 Laurentius26 GoldEdition V3.4 Stock/Spike™ WWE 23568
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    things that make you go hmmmm...

Device(s)
    Verizon Storm on Alltel
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I tried last week to set up an unbranded curve on the alltel network. It was new and not previously activated, so getting the phone put on my account was no problem. The ESN was accepted fine. It would make and receive phone calls and text messages. The problem was that blackberry wouldnt recognize it as an alltel phone so the service books wouldnt send and the host routing table registration wouldnt work. I spent several hours on the phone with tier 2 and 3 customer service and it no workable solution was found. I wound up sending it back and purchasing an alltel branded phone. YMMV
    Best of luck to you.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    hey everyone i appreciate the various answers but i think the service books may be the deal breaker here. Before when i was able to get evdo on my ppc going i had to use qpst to copy several settings etc.. i wonder if i could do that from the blackberry i'm using now?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    just a quick update i got everything working right i appreciate all the helpful input from everyone

Device(s)
    htc 6800
    Carrier(s)
    alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milldog
    just a quick update i got everything working right i appreciate all the helpful input from everyone

Aewsome is there anyway you would be willing to let us in oin what it took to get everything working right? Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I can answer any questions you have to the best of my ability...the main thing was get the right prl loaded and the right settings from qpst not really much to it after its all said and done...its really one of those things you'll have to ask specific questions you have and i can tell you what i did in each case. It was actually easier than programming a ppc with evdo...

Device(s)
    htc 6800
    Carrier(s)
    alltel
    Feedback Score
    I can see how you could get the basic flash for the firmware completed though the main thing that has me thinking that it would be difficult would be the PIN. Was there anything that you had to do to get the blackberry servers, and service books to recognize the phone on the new carrier?

Thanks!!!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    to be honest with you it just kinda worked, i transferred all the settings from my pearl to my curve via qpst and then made sure the registration id on the curve matched the carrier(alltel) and then called and went through activation...helps to play like its the carriers original equipment so they don't just give up if there are any problems...i had the reg id wrong the first time i tried to activate it and so it wouldn't work but when i realized and changed the id it activated as easy as could be....I think the id is what makes it send to where you can get the service books and such..also i couldnt register the pin until after they sent the service books and stuff then i did a device switch with my pin and it worked. I also could resend service books from bis and get all the carrier specific stuff like telenav and other bs...anyway feel free to ask me any questions i'll help if i can..i really was kinda surprised it was as easy as it was...the main thing i think is having the prl for the carrier you wanna activate with loaded as well which is a bit of a challenge because you cant do it with qpst...