Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: My Review Blackberry Bold 9000

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    5,062
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nfl46
    Isn't this a beta model?
    Exactly, not to mention durability will be proven after there are a million units out there and we see how the production models hold up to real life experience.
    Carl

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver/Richmond
    Posts
    3,536
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    1. I dissagree about the keyboard. I actually find it to be quite good. I didn't like the 8800's keyboard, but I find the Bold's to be much better.

    2. The screen is not VGA as you said twice. The screen resolution is 480x320 which is half VGA (HVGA). Worth noting is that this is the same resolution as the iPhone and since the Bold's screen is smaller that means the Bold's pixel density is higher which means a crisper display with better looking images.
    Last edited by Moderator HF 7; 07-31-2008 at 12:50 AM.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    226
    Device(s)
    BB Bold (daily)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (US)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastif

    I guess that is a good reason not to be metal, but the iPhone is metal and works great.
    Actually, the iphone 3G is not metal. Again due to better GPS functioning.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    87
    Device(s)
    Apple IPhone 3G 16Gb White
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tDAWG
    you know the bold supports wmv files......Video format support:
    DivX 4, DivX 5/6 partially supported, XviD
    partially supported, H.263, H.264, WMV3
    Audio format support: .3gp, MP3, WMA9 (.wma/.asf),
    WMA9 Pro/WMA 10, MIDI, AMR-NB, Professional AAC/AAC+/eAAC+

    Where you trying to get GPS results indoors??? Gps doesnt work well indoors by any gps standard.

    And remember folks this is a beta model.
    This unit did not have WMV/WMA playback. I don't expect the release unti to contain one neither. I tried the GPS indoors and outdoors. Indoors did not work at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzSix
    Nice review...

    1) I was going to say you should make use of the macro function of your camera as the first bunch of pics look absolutely horrible but it seems you discovered it later on in the review.

    2) I completely disagree with your conclusion. You say it's nothing revolutionary, but this was never supposed to revolutionary in that way (a shocking OMG way). If you want toys go buy an iPhone. RIM was never about that. It was about having a nice, stable, secure, simple yet very powerful device. And the Bold acomplishes that BEAUTIFULLY because it has all the features that previous BBs lacked. BB users never had a model that had both WiFi and GPS, or an external memory slot, or 3G. They Bold gives us all that, and more, in a nice sexy package to boot. It has a great screen and great audio as well. It's a dream BB really. Who cares about the camera???? I wouldn't even bother mentioning that if I was reviewing it. It's simply not the focus of the phone. It's still a business oriented device, with some consumer addons (ie the camera and multimedia stuff). NOT the opposite. The camera is fine for this type of thing.

    3) I love the keyboard on my Curve (never tried an 88XX keyboard) and I hope it's decent... gonna grab one next week.

    4) The guy who is not buying it because of the trim is insane :P I also heard that they don't use metal because it interferes with 3G but I'm not sure.
    1. Yea, the camera was a pain for the review. We'll be good in the future.
    2. As someone mentioned in this thread, the 8820 does everything except 3G and camera. So I expected the camera to be a bit better if it was one of the improvements.
    3. Enjoy. Give it time.
    4. Could be because of that. I’ll make a note of it in the review. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ
    Is the ball easily replaceable like the previous 83xx, 81xx, and 88xx designs?
    It’s absolutely the same as previous ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by D Mac
    1. I dissagree about the keyboard. I actually find it to be quite good. I didn't like the 8800's keyboard, but I find the Bold's to be much better.

    2. The screen is not VGA as you said twice. The screen resolution is 480x320 which is half VGA (HVGA). Worth noting is that this is the same resolution as the iPhone and since the Bold's screen is smaller that means the Bold's pixel density is higher which means a crisper display with better looking images.

    3. If you want to really get into blogging and reviewing it would help if you spell and grammar checked (there are a few errors throughout). Also you should stick the the same formatting throughout (ie, "BB 8800, BB8700") it just looks unprofessional and unpolished. And not trying to be insulting here at all, but it wouldn't hurt to have it looked over by someone whose first language is english. Again I am truly trying to be helpful here, as it seems you are trying to make a name for yourself blogging/reviewing, and I think you would have much more luck if you polished it a bit more.

    2. Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn’t quite sure how to relate the screen/ This helped. I’ll add it to the review.

    3. I appreciate your feedback. I didn’t want to sit on the material to long and I rushed the job. Now after 400 hits I have to go back and edit. I feel quite embarrassed. I’ll try and be a bit more professional in the future.

    Thanks to all those who left feedback and questions. Keep them coming. Also, thanks to those that clicked on the ads. You’re helping a poor student pay for hosting and further projects and reviews.
    |iPhone Plan 75 | 500 min. | unltd. EW @ 7pm | unltd. txt | CD & NM | 250 min Can/US LD | 1 Gb Data|

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Mississauga/ON/Canada
    Posts
    173
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just wondering, when you were exploring the Bold - did you find an option to turn off 3G?

    If so, did the battery life/talk time improve any? Would love to hear more of your thoughts on the battery life.
    Koodo: Line 1 - Unlimited Canada-Wide Talk & Text | 10GB Data | CID | VM - $45
    Koodo: Line 2 - Unlimited Canada-Wide Talk & Text | 8 GB Data | CID | VM - $40

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,580
    Feedback Score
    0
    ^

    You can definitely turn off 3G on the BlackBerry Bold.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    87
    Device(s)
    Apple IPhone 3G 16Gb White
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    yes you can turn off 3G and do just 2G(EDGE). Didn't try a full day of EDGE, but i'll get back to you on that.

    I updated review with few suggestions you guys had. Maybe by the time this is released i can have a "professional" looking review.

    link

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    932
    Device(s)
    Blackberry 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    AHHHHHHHHHHH i want a bold
    BB 8100 > 8310 > 9000 (lost) > 8800 > 9700

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    185
    Device(s)
    Blackberry 8820
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    I dont understand what you mean by independent GPS unit. Does it differ from the GPS in the 8800 and 8300 series models that have GPS?

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    87
    Device(s)
    Apple IPhone 3G 16Gb White
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 5dark
    I dont understand what you mean by independent GPS unit. Does it differ from the GPS in the 8800 and 8300 series models that have GPS?
    it does not data connection to locate your position. With A-GPS it will located you with the aid of data (a lot faster)

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    185
    Device(s)
    Blackberry 8820
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sorry to go off topic, but if you had, say, the 8820, if you didn't have a data connection, you couldn't use your GPS with a third-party map app that stored on the sd card (I've read abt a couple of these)?

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    5,062
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by filipmares
    it does not data connection to locate your position. With A-GPS it will located you with the aid of data (a lot faster)
    After this ^^^ (????) I am confused as well. My 8820 does not need a data connection to locate my position. It does need the data connection to load the maps. However with no data service and the proper application, you can see GPS info like Long/Lat and speed. The A in A-GPS just uses the data connection/tower info to find your location a bit quicker.

    On any nokia device, the Nokia Maps app will use maps stored on the device or SD card so you truly dont need a data connection. The GPS will work fine, with or without the data connection and maps will be displayed.

    Does the Bold have this same capability???

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Houston/Dallas
    Posts
    5,306
    Device(s)
    Blackberry 8320
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile(great sms)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by filipmares
    This unit did not have WMV/WMA playback. I don't expect the release unti to contain one neither. I tried the GPS indoors and outdoors. Indoors did not work at all.



    1. Yea, the camera was a pain for the review. We'll be good in the future.
    2. As someone mentioned in this thread, the 8820 does everything except 3G and camera. So I expected the camera to be a bit better if it was one of the improvements.
    3. Enjoy. Give it time.
    4. Could be because of that. I’ll make a note of it in the review. Thanks.



    It’s absolutely the same as previous ones.




    2. Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn’t quite sure how to relate the screen/ This helped. I’ll add it to the review.

    3. I appreciate your feedback. I didn’t want to sit on the material to long and I rushed the job. Now after 400 hits I have to go back and edit. I feel quite embarrassed. I’ll try and be a bit more professional in the future.

    Thanks to all those who left feedback and questions. Keep them coming. Also, thanks to those that clicked on the ads. You’re helping a poor student pay for hosting and further projects and reviews.

    I know for a fact that it will..... matter of fact.....
    Blackberry 9700
    My next BB is the BB9800.....

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,635
    Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    After this ^^^ (????) I am confused as well. My 8820 does not need a data connection to locate my position. It does need the data connection to load the maps. However with no data service and the proper application, you can see GPS info like Long/Lat and speed. The A in A-GPS just uses the data connection/tower info to find your location a bit quicker.

    On any nokia device, the Nokia Maps app will use maps stored on the device or SD card so you truly dont need a data connection. The GPS will work fine, with or without the data connection and maps will be displayed.

    Does the Bold have this same capability???
    Hmm, some clarification on this is going to be needed. I suspect that the review has some misinformation. GPS on my 8310 doesn't require data for locating at all. However, the GPS app does need a data connection for mapping. If cell coverage is lost after the route is calculated several GPS apps can continue to function even without cell coverage.

    Is the OP stating that the GPS app that came with the Bold can operate totally without data coverage? If not, there's nothing new regarding GPS on the Bold. Plenty of former BB's have had GPS (not aGPS) receivers in them. I'm not entirely certain that new GPS software on the BB means that the hardware is any different, either...

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ashburn, VA/Rockville, MD
    Posts
    9,326
    Device(s)
    BB9700
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    Great Review Flip despite the criticism you've received. Thanks for sharing it with us!
    BB9700 PIN: 2190dd6e

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks