Thread: A couple 6301 (or Nokia in general) questions...

Device(s)
    Motorola Cliq
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

A couple 6301 (or Nokia in general) questions...

So before you scold me, I've ALREADY tried posting this in the Nokia forum... but apparently the Nokia users there know absolutely nothing about their own phones because not ONE single person bothered to shed any light at all.

I'm trying to find a good Theme editor for Nokia. I'm sure that the format the 6301 uses ( .nth ) is similar if not the exact same to many other Nokia phones. Anyone know of a good one? I found a pretty wicked Transformers theme but there are a few things I'd prefer to change.

Also noticed that when selecting "use tone", in the ringtones options, there's an option that says "Use as call back tone". Anyone know exactly what that does? I Haven't been able to figure that one out. Thanks in advance

Device(s)
    Motorola Cliq
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is it me or does absolutely no one know jack sh-- about Nokias? Are they THAT cumbersome that it's THAT hard to do anything with them? I've never had this much trouble getting help w/ any Motorolas or Windows Mobile phones for that matter. This is starting to turn me completley off of Nokia REALLY fast. My damn Nokia rep didn't even bother to reply to me... though I doubt she knows the answer I figured she'd at LEAST have resources to utilize. I'm starting to become very frustrated very fast. Waiting for Q4 when I replace my 6301 w/ a new phone I heard about today (I would tell you but then I'd have to kill you )

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoFiend3030
    So before you scold me, I've ALREADY tried posting this in the Nokia forum... but apparently the Nokia users there know absolutely nothing about their own phones because not ONE single person bothered to shed any light at all.

I'm trying to find a good Theme editor for Nokia. I'm sure that the format the 6301 uses ( .nth ) is similar if not the exact same to many other Nokia phones. Anyone know of a good one? I found a pretty wicked Transformers theme but there are a few things I'd prefer to change.

Also noticed that when selecting "use tone", in the ringtones options, there's an option that says "Use as call back tone". Anyone know exactly what that does? I Haven't been able to figure that one out. Thanks in advance
    I do not have this phone specifically, but I believe the "call back" is to assign a ringtone to a certain phonebook contact. Ex: girlfriend can have her own tone.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Is it me or does absolutely no one know jack sh-- about Nokias? Are they THAT cumbersome that it's THAT hard to do anything with them? I've never had this much trouble getting help w/ any Motorolas or Windows Mobile phones for that matter. This is starting to turn me completley off of Nokia REALLY fast. My damn Nokia rep didn't even bother to reply to me... though I doubt she knows the answer I figured she'd at LEAST have resources to utilize. I'm starting to become very frustrated very fast. Waiting for Q4 when I replace my 6301 w/ a new phone I heard about today (I would tell you but then I'd have to kill you )
    Nokias are good phones nevertheless.....just mess around with the software, s40 phones are not that complicated. I’ve found they are far easier to use than my old Motorola razr….

Feedback Score
    i am assuming a call back tone is for when a person calls you and instead of ringing, they hear the song you picked. pretty that costs extra tho.

Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score

I hope this is what your looking for. I did a google search and came up with this.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...ymbian_OS.html

It says it supports

# Series 40 3rd Edition.
    # Series 40 5th Edition and Series 40 5th Edition, Feature Pack 1.

I don't know what edition that nokia you have is. Either way, good luck and report back if it works!

Device(s)
    Motorola Cliq
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cingular-sucks
    Nokias are good phones nevertheless.....just mess around with the software, s40 phones are not that complicated. I’ve found they are far easier to use than my old Motorola razr….
    yeah i love my 6301 so far. i found a simple theme maker online that worked pretty good. i absolutely LOVE the fact that i can back up all my settings too! =) im very in depth so that entails a LOT of time tweaking my phone that im spared of in the future =).

thanks for the feedback =)

Device(s)
    Motorola Cliq
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danska
    I hope this is what your looking for. I did a google search and came up with this.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...ymbian_OS.html

It says it supports

# Series 40 3rd Edition.
    # Series 40 5th Edition and Series 40 5th Edition, Feature Pack 1.

I don't know what edition that nokia you have is. Either way, good luck and report back if it works!
    sweet! ill be sure to check it out from my pc later tonight. thanks! =)

Device(s)
    n95
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile MyFaves Family Plan. 1000 Shared. 400 texts. 5.99 Total Internet Plan
    Feedback Score
    i have question. can you install skype on it and use it on wifi?

Bored? check out The Riddle Thread

Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thentertaina
    i have question. can you install skype on it and use it on wifi?
    While skype does have a java version, it uses regular voice minutes to make the phone call. There might be other third party skype applications but i would be surprised if it uses the wifi of the phone, as that is usually reserved for smartphones and pocket pc's.

Device(s)
    n95
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    yesterday i was at skype.com for my dash and saw an option for wifi phones.i thought "hey maybe the 6301 could use that" is that the java version you speak of?

Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thentertaina
    yesterday i was at skype.com for my dash and saw an option for wifi phones.i thought "hey maybe the 6301 could use that" is that the java version you speak of?
    Well, the dash runs windows mobile. So, you can use the wifi on the dash to make and receive phone calls. The nokia 6301 doesn't run windows mobile, so you can use that software on it. You can only run java applications. And the only java application that skype has is this:

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/mobile/

Assuming you can get your nokia phone to actually use the program (whole different thread), it would use data to connect (edge/gprs) and voice minutes to make the call.

Device(s)
    n95
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ahh i see what you mean. i was talking about this http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/wifiphones/ but i only clicked on it till today. there just trying to sell their stuff. maybe fring will work?