Thread: Kenora to ON/MB Border - MTS or TbayTel Mobility

Feedback Score

Kenora to ON/MB Border - MTS or TbayTel Mobility

Both MTS and TbayTel Mobility show the Kenora to MB/ON border coverage as their own.

Who owns the towers here (or do they both have their own - seems kinda redundant though) ?

Basically if I'm on my Telus Aircard in this region, will it work since there (as far as I know) is no data-roaming agreement with MTS? I'm specifically referring to the Clearwater Bay area (~25km west of Kenora). Last few times I was out there I did get data on my old Razr, but that was back when I think there was MTS data roaming. Also at this point, would it be EVDO or just 1X? MTS Map shows EVDO, Telus shows 1X (Which means there must be some non-MTS coverage, unless the MTS data rule only applies in MB), and TbayTel doesn't distinguish between 1X and EV.

Thanks

Mike

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Both Tbaytel and MTS have towers in clearwater bay and kenora.

The tower is actually on McCullum Point Rd and is about 500ft tall, they are both located there.

Mts is at 850mhz, while Tbaytel is at 1900mhz.

Tbaytel is not user friendly, they even charge long distance + roaming + airtime if you have a plan with them and go off of their towers. Don't get me started on there data rates.

I would expect 1X in the area, as I have never heard of EVDO working there. However, I wouldn't expect any data coverage at all because you are not signed with these companies and they are both greedy S.O.B's

Device(s)
    BB Style
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    A friend of mine had an aircard working on EVDO in Kenora last summer. We were both shocked that they had EVDO running there.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Soon Dryden will have a GSM network in the area... but its only local.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score

MTS vs T-Bay Tel in Kenora Area

MTS coverage in the Clearwater Bay Area, in Northwestern Ontario just West of Kenora is a big issue. Often you will not detect MTS towers (despite them being there) instead getting T-bay Tel. By being T-bay Tel all calls then become long distance!

However, if you drive into Kenora you have excellent MTS coverage.

I have called MTS on this issue numberous times with them initally saying they were not aware of the problem, and now saying they receive numerous complaints. They have suggested turning my mobile to 'Local Only' with no success.

Wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? Has MTS been of any help in rectifiying the problem?

Thanks,

James.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Doubtful MTS can or will do anything, they would have to install another tower west of clearwater bay where Tbaytel's is at. As your driving east from Manitoba, you'd have no coverage from the border, until you get to the weigh scales in Ontario which is approximately where Tbaytel's tower is at. Which you would pick up first and stay locked on. MTS' tower is more east of clearwater bay.

MTS doesn't do OTA PRL updates, infact, they don't have PRL's at all. They just program your phone to pick up one SID first and if it can't find it, it will camp on anything until your home SID pops up with a stronger signal.

You could program your phone though to not connect to Tbaytel's SID. You would need the programming code and possibly a manual to know where to list it as 'restricted'.

Also. Does anybody know, when in clearwater bay or kenora with a Telus phone.. Which is the preferred roaming partner? When I was in that area last my Telus phone camped on MTS, but since then, there has been a PRL update. I am currently running 8085.