Thread: How crippled is the Verizon Centro?

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score

How crippled is the Verizon Centro?

I've had service with Verizon for a number of years and I know they view handsets in only one way -- 'how can we make this generate even more revenue for us?' So I know the Verizon Centro is crippled -- the only question is 'how much?'

It does say on the palm site that the Centro lacks instant messenger capabilities on verizon (in the fine print) -- that way you have to buy a verizon messaging/sms package on top of your data package. God knows $30 per month for data isn't enough.

Anyone care to share their experiences with the verizon version of the Centro?

Device(s)
    Too many
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    They don't included an IM app like they do on regular phones or like Sprint does on their Centro - but you can still download and use another IM client you come across online that uses that $30 data plan.

They say bluetooth is limited but I didn't find it. Their website leads you to believe it can only transfer contacts/calendar, and that's all the sales rep. said it can do, but I've been able to send an MP3 from my MacBook to the Centro no problem. So doesn't seem to have the same limit there (although it asked to save to ringtones and not to a music folder - it's ok because that's all the file was. I just take the memory card out for full songs since they take longer to transmit).

and they do not have VZNav. for the Centro

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, ok. Other than that, how good is it? I have a Palm IIIc that I still use and I really like it, but I like the idea of carrying one device that is a cell phone and a PDA at the same time. How well does it work with GMail? I'd also like to be able to access machines at work. I'd need an SSH client and possibly a Cisco VPN client. Is that possible on the Centro?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    IMHO the Centro is a much nicer palm than the IIIc. More compact with a 320x320 screen and camera with built-in speaker by itself makes it much nicer, phone aside. I infer that you are interested in some of the same remote tools I use, so here's my situation snapshot:

I have a VZW Centro with the $30/mo data plan. I have no problems at all using these apps:

pssh for remotely administrating servers via SSH, including nonstandard ports.
    RemotePlus 1.5 for administrating servers via RDP, including nonstandard ports.
    PalmVNC 2.06-dev for administrating servers via VNC, including nonstandard ports.
    Opera Mini for websites that Blazer doesn't display properly.
    CallRec 6.0 for on-demand call recording when I don't have a pen/paper handy.
    Card Reader 1.08 for accessing the SD card via USB without removing it.
    ChatterEmail 3.0.18 for email, works great with gmail IMAP IDLE support.

I also use TouchLauncher for a default launcher with simple drag/drop icon organization. I have only my frequently-used apps in it to keep things clean, and only drop down to the PalmOS launcher when I need a rarely-used utility or app

My main reason for having the Centro is for receiving monitoring system alerts via email and being able to remotely access a server to bounce a service or edit a config file in response to an alert or client request when I am away from my office. It works fantastically well for that.

One word on email clients, I dropped Versamail in my search for "push"-like performance. I chose gmail for their implementation of the IDLE command for IMAP, and the only PalmOS email client I know of that supports it is ChatterEmail. Fortunately Chatter isn't lacking in other features and is a fairly robust app. The end result is my Centro usually receives messages within 8 seconds of my desktop.

I've got other assorted apps and games, but I doubt anything you would find relevant. I do have an 8GB microSD card in mine, works flawlessly, and Card Reader 1.08 reports the correct size of the card. I got 8GB instead of 4GB a month ago because it only cost about $7 more and was still under $40.