Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Feedback Score

wth is this?

looking at gsm networks in canada and noticed this
    http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/net_cadm.shtml
    can anyone explain?

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    !-OMAR-!,

That is intriguing "switch"! I was there last year and it was still CDMA I wonder if KMTS in Kenora would switch or add other air-interface like they do.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I guess they wanted their own cell service. And it not cheep look at there plans.

The Dryden Municipal Telephone System is a full-service public utility telephone company owned by the City of Dryden.

Our mandate is to provide efficient and effective, state-of-the-art, nationally connected telecommunications services to our subscribers while maintaining the financial and technical integrity of the system.

Profits made by the company are used to keep the company current with new technologies and to reduce the tax burden on the residents of the City of Dryden.

DMTS has three tower sites in the Dryden area, on Highway 17 West in the Oxdrift area, on Highway 17 East in the Barclay area and on Highway 17 in the midpoint of the city. Under ideal conditions these three towers provide continuous Digital Cellular coverage from Eagle River (west of Dryden) to Thunder Creek (east of Dryden)

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

Didn't Kenora get bought out by Bell-Aliant?

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    jase88,

When will the transaction be finalized?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HC - NO "i"
    jase88,

When will the transaction be finalized?
    January 16, 2008
    City of Kenora unanimously approves Bell Aliant offer to purchase Kenora
    Municipal Telephone System for $27 million
    Closing expected in early February 2008
    Kenora, Ontario - The City of Kenora and Bell Aliant Regional Communications Income Fund
    ("Bell Aliant") (TSX: BA.UN), are pleased to announce that Kenora City Council has unanimously
    approved Bell Aliant’s offer to purchase the assets and business of Kenora Municipal Telephone
    System (KMTS). The acquisition price will be approximately $27 million.
    “Bell Aliant is the right choice for KMTS employees, customers and our community as a whole,”
    said Mayor Len Compton. “The City of Kenora has followed a very diligent process and
    reviewed several options in order to come to this decision. We are confident in the continued
    success of KMTS in Kenora.”
    The members of Kenora City Council granted final authorization for the transaction on January
    15, 2008 following a public information meeting held in Kenora. Closing will be subject to
    customary terms and conditions, including regulatory approvals to be requested from Industry
    Canada and the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission.
    About KMTS
    Owned by the City of Kenora, the Kenora Municipal Telephone System provides a full range of
    telecommunications services to business and residential customers, and has served Kenora and
    the surrounding area since 1902.
    About Bell Aliant
    Bell Aliant (TSX: BA.UN) is one of North America’s largest regional communications providers.
    Through its operating entities it serves customers in six Canadian provinces with innovative
    information, communication and technology services including voice, data, Internet, video and
    value-added business solutions. Through its xwave offices, Bell Aliant also provides IT
    professional services in Canada and the US. Bell Aliant’s 10,000 employees are committed to
    deliver the highest quality of customer service, choice and convenience.

Feedback Score
    I phoned Barb at customer service at Dryden Mobility (807-221-1000), and they didn't know anything about switching to GSM...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseApe
    I guess they wanted their own cell service. And it not cheep look at there plans.
    They probably had no choice but to go it alone. I can't see the big players shelling out to service an area with only a couple thousand customers.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I talked to Dryden Mobility - and they stated that it wasn't up yet in GSM.. but hopefully soon. Now if only they could expand it across the north, as nobody else covers northwestern Ontario on GSM.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    BB Style
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    So am I roaming off DTMS or TBTel when I pass through Dryden? If it is DMTS I wonder if TBTel will put up towers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    DTMS is GSM only.
    TBayTel is CDMA/Analog only

If you're on GSM like me, you might hit on of those 3 cell sites.
    If you're CDMA/Amps, like most of northern Ontario, you'll be on TBayTel.

Device(s)
    BB Style
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    DTMS is not GSM, at least not yet. They are still CDMA, and I don't know if TBTel has towers in Dryden. Personally it really doesn't matter, I only pass through Dryden on my way to Red Lake but it will be weird not being able to catch up on my email when I stop at Tim Horton's

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think TBaytel covers all that area
    http://www.tbaytel.com/residential/m...coverage.shtml
    http://www.tbaytel.com/media/coverage_map.pdf
    I haven't been that far west in many years, but the last time up to White River, I had my old Nokia 1260, and I had Analog service in White River and Wawa on Superior Wireless (now TBaytel). Since it was a TDMA phone, that coverage ended in Sault Ste. Marie.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I know, old thread. But does anyone have anymore information about Dryden Mobility switching to GSM. A Google search about the inquiry led me here. I know on GSM World they say that they had it planned for June 2008. Someone from here claims that they had talked to someone from Dryden Mobility. Is GSM really planned for that area, or are these just false rumors?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Ya, I too am interested. I know a lot of people in the area that would like to know..

I thought DMTS was a reseller of MTS like KMTS is, though.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast