Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: DMTS goes GSM: wth is this?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I actually personally talked to a woman right at DMTS and she said that GSM would be up in early 2009. She said forsure sometime in the first quarter.
    As far as I know, DMTS is it's own company.
    Hope this helps!!

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

They're probably going to HSPA like Bell and Telus.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if this will excite anyone else that frequents the area...but, DMTS will be going GSM, from what has been said on here and the GSM association..

DMTS has registed exchanges now in Sioux Narrows, Fort Frances, Atikokan, Red Lake, and Upsala.. It's not much, but it's start. If they do go GSM, all the large towns will have coverage.

Device(s)
    BB Style
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Heard a commercial on the radio for DMTS going GSM. They say they will be able to offer advanced services like text messaging They said the launch will be within the next few months.

This might explain the expanded coverage by TBTel Mobility as well.

They have an announcement on their website www.dmts.biz.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckster
    This might explain the expanded coverage by TBTel Mobility as well.
    No way!..That's friggen awesome. Now when I head back to that old area, I will finally be able to use my cell phone .

What do you mean though by expanded coverage? I saw the PDF file posted on their website and it shows a lot more coverage than they have..The only native DMTS coverage that I am aware of is from Oxdrift out to about 10km east of Dryden...They even got rid of the Eagle River cell site as Tbaytel got a license for that area somehow and booted them out.. I also noted they have new exchanges in my above post..But, they show areas in the Northshore area as going to be having coverage...

What I am trying to say is...Is Tbaytel also going GSM?

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

The press release isn't clear, but it appears that they plan to launch a 3G GSM network (HSPA).

Interesting that they've signed a roaming agreement with Rogers.

Device(s)
    BB Style
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_north
    What do you mean though by expanded coverage? I saw the PDF file posted on their website and it shows a lot more coverage than they have..The only native DMTS coverage that I am aware of is from Oxdrift out to about 10km east of Dryden...They even got rid of the Eagle River cell site as Tbaytel got a license for that area somehow and booted them out.. I also noted they have new exchanges in my above post..But, they show areas in the Northshore area as going to be having coverage...

TBayTel has put up new towers, including one in Balmertown, I haven't heard anything about them going GSM.

The press release isn't clear, but it appears that they plan to launch a 3G GSM network (HSPA).
    On the third page of the release it says they are using EDGE. I doubt that they would say that if they were going HSPA

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mr_north

TBayTel has put up new towers, including one in Balmertown, I haven't heard anything about them going GSM.

On the third page of the release it says they are using EDGE. I doubt that they would say that if they were going HSPA
    Ahhh yes, I didn't go to the third page initially.

So they're going with an 2G EDGE network. How silly is that?

At least they're not charging an SAF or activation fees.

Feedback Score
    GSMWorld is often the first source, when MTPCS Chinook wireless here went GSM the local store was somewhat disturbed I knew as they thought it was a secret, but GSMWorld was telling all.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

I seen the one in Balmertown, they had it up like a year and a half ago, over by the rec centre, near the industrial area.. Interestingly enough, when I had left there, it was still non operational. I had a Tbaytel phone work gave me, which was pretty much useless unless you were right in Red Lake.

I know they relocated the one in Ear Falls also.

Anyone been out that area recently with a GSM phone? Picking anything up?

Feedback Score

Red lake Sites

Tbaytel site in balmertown was active Dec. 30, 2008. cdma only with overlay for wireless internet. sites also turned up in Red Lake at Bell tower, Red Lake at Balmertown turn off, Gull Rock, Camp Robinson, Perrault Falls. All sites cdma 1x all with wireless internet.

Feedback Score

Let me provide some real insight

A wholly owned entity of the corporation of the city of Dryden, Ontario, DMTS has somehow decided it can compete with the regions largest provider TBayTel.

DMTS has outlined a plan to activate 86 towers in a year, including ones in areas that have a) no road access b) no power and c) no transport. How are they going to accomplish this? Who knows!

DMTS will not have access to the customers in the two largest areas of Northwestern Ontario; between Thunder Bay and Kenora there are approximately 127,000 people. According to the 2006 Census, there are 236,000 people living in the Districts of Thunder Bay, Kenora and Rainy River. Right off the top DMTS will be at a competitive disadvantage because more half the population will not even be able to buy a DMTS plan with a local exchange.

Even if DMTS was able to win every customer in every small town in the region, they would top out somewhere around the 11,000 customers Superior Wireless Inc. enjoyed when they where purchased by TBayTel in September 2006. Let's keep in mind that SWI went into a lot of markets with no other service providers and was able to grab a large market share because of this. DMTS won't have the same opportunity as they will be working in a competitive situation.

Now let's talk financing? What's a cellsite with transport and tower going for these days $250,000 per site? My thinking is they are probably purchasing older Edge sites from companies that have decommissioned the sites and replaced them with 3G technology. So they are most likely going to be relying on old, outdated used technology to provide their customers with service. That should prove to be an interesting situation for their customers to deal with.

The most likely scenario is they will attempt to place gear on existing towers through lease agreements. This means they won't even own their own transport, so when an issue happens who's going to fix it and how long will that take?

DMTS has also announced they are providing their existing customers with a replacement GSM handset free of charge. Will everyone get the same handset or are they going to exchange sets for ones of equivalent value?

If DMTS launches with sites in Dryden, Fort Frances and Sioux Lookout as they are rumoured to be looking at doing, how are they going to explain to their customers the severe decrease in service? Will those customers stick around or will they jump to TBayTel?

The only thing Dryden is promising is to not charge an SAF, no mention of the costs for other services. Currently an ESN change is $5.25, Customer Initiated Temp Suspends $36.75 to reactivate, Features Changes $15.75 and Plan Changes $15.75. These charges and fees for new services like Text Messaging (price?) and Data (price?) combined with new Plans (pricing to be announced) will more than make up for the lost associated with dropping the SAF.

One has to sit back and wonder how a city of 7,000 with a declining population and eroded tax base thanks to the severe downsizing at the mill, can even pretend to be able to compete in a competitive and expensive to operate in market such as cellular.

A conservative estimate to launch a service of this magnitude with used gear and leased tower space is in the $30-50 Million range? Who's footing that bill? Not the government, they have already paid to assist SWI and TBayTel allowing them to launch service in under serviced rural areas.

Even though DMTS is claiming to not be interested in selling another municipally owned service, especially since they are still feeling the heat from the sale of local Hydro company. I'm left to wonder how and the heck they are going to pull this off? All signs point towards a complete failure. SWI was created with the hopes of selling for a profit and I'm willing to bet DMTS is positioning their teleco for a possible sale down the road as well.

Device(s)
    BB Style
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It appears that DMTS is going to be using the Reid headframe in Balmertown as a tower. When I got to surface this afternoon there were two DMTS trucks parked beside the headframe, and they had a lot of electronics with them. The phone system at the mine is through Bell so either DMTS is installing cellphone equipment or wireless internet.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Where are the tax payers in all this? Surely someone's sitting there crunching the numbers and wondering what the heck they're thinking?
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Feedback Score
    It appears that DMTS is going to be using the Reid headframe in Balmertown as a tower. When I got to surface this afternoon there were two DMTS trucks parked beside the headframe, and they had a lot of electronics with them. The phone system at the mine is through Bell so either DMTS is installing cellphone equipment or wireless internet.

Headframes are never a good idea, just ask TBayTel. Their Hemlo site is causing major headaches for them.

Maintenance is done on the mines say so, which means you need to receive permission to enter the property. You also must be certified and trained to their standards before you can do work on their property.

There was a time the Hemlo site was down for weeks while SWI waited for the mine to offer a mandatory safety course. Workers have to be certified before they can perform work on the mine property.

A single cell site in Balmertown will not cover the the area properly. TBaytel had a to add a site in Balmertown to go with their existing site in Red Lake to give the area good coverage.

Half ***** might have worked when SWI was the only game in town, but once customers are accustomed to a level of service, they won't stand for a decrease in coverage.

DMTS is going to go ahead with this roll out of sites in a couple of markets as a way to cover their real objective. A year or two from now, they will claim they cannot compete and put the company up for sale. The citizens of Dryden having already been burnt on the sale of hydro need to be convinced the sale is in their best interests.

I'll can almost guarantee a sale is in the works; it's just a matter of time before they claim the sale is a good way of assuring the city remains competitive in the ever changing world of communications.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast