Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_north
    I don't know if this will excite anyone else that frequents the area...but, DMTS will be going GSM, from what has been said on here and the GSM association..

DMTS has registed exchanges now in Sioux Narrows, Fort Frances, Atikokan, Red Lake, and Upsala.. It's not much, but it's start. If they do go GSM, all the large towns will have coverage.
    Yeah - they're going as far east as Sault Ste. Marie - covering probably the same microwave towers that Bell Canada used for landline service, and that TBayTel uses for cell sites.

Check their 'future' coverage sites here:
    http://temp.dmts.biz/wp-content/them...ces-coming.pdf
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by piperzoe
    DMTS has outlined a plan to activate 86 towers in a year, including ones in areas that have a) no road access b) no power and c) no transport. How are they going to accomplish this? Who knows!

DMTS will not have access to the customers in the two largest areas of Northwestern Ontario; between Thunder Bay and Kenora there are approximately 127,000 people. According to the 2006 Census, there are 236,000 people living in the Districts of Thunder Bay, Kenora and Rainy River. Right off the top DMTS will be at a competitive disadvantage because more half the population will not even be able to buy a DMTS plan with a local exchange.

Even if DMTS was able to win every customer in every small town in the region, they would top out somewhere around the 11,000 customers Superior Wireless Inc. enjoyed when they where purchased by TBayTel in September 2006. Let's keep in mind that SWI went into a lot of markets with no other service providers and was able to grab a large market share because of this. DMTS won't have the same opportunity as they will be working in a competitive situation.
    The one thing that DMTS will have... its all of Rogers roaming customers (+7.7 million) and all the global GSM base of roamers (+3.8 billion) that TBayTel will not have.
    Since Bell/Telus have laid out their plans to go UMTS/HSDPA, eventually, either TBayTel will go GSM based as well, or bust.
    I actually called/spoke to those in ADNet (built out the Algoma District part) as well as TBayTel, and they were 'CDMA 1x' all the way. Since it (Superior Wireless) was analog back then, it was a logical choice. You'll now be able to use an iPhone in the boonies

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You guys are assuming the network will be built out and run by DMTS... I could see them dropping the ball on this one... I wonder who's waving their testes around in public over this... someone's out to prove a point.
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I suspect that it would be little different that the previous 'Superior Wireless' and 'ADNet' that built out networks, then sold them.

Superior Wireless and ADNet both sold out to TBayTel.

With Rogers supporting GSM/UMTS and Bell / Telus and many other carriers working on building out UMTS, this wouldn't be a bad idea. It would be in Rogers best interest to purchase it afterwards. I suspect Bell/Telus have agreements with TBayTel which may pose a conflict of interest or contract.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Rogers has proven time and again they have no interest in Northwestern Ontario outside Thunder Bay and Kenora. I worked for them back in 2001/02 when they were claiming they were building out the network, going as far as to put out maps and send collateral to the dealers. In the past 8 years, Rogers has built one tower in Northwestern Ontario on Victoria Avenue in Thunder Bay. If Rogers was so interested in the North, then why did the sell or surrender their GSM license so DMTS could acquire it?

LTE will support GSM and CDMA, so there's no need to change to any other standard. Also who's to say that LTE will even become the accepted standard with WIMAX still in play? There's no single standard on the horizon and it's doubtful the world will get together on a 4G standard for that matter.

Just so everyone is clear, DMTS is launching their service initially in 4 towns Red Lake, Dryden, Sioux Lookout (owned by K-Net) and Fort Frances. This means a loss of almost 80 cellular roaming partner sites for customers who chose to remain or switch to DMTS. Sure, they'll gain 2 Kenora and 5 Thunder Bay sites, but that still leaves a huge net coverage loss.

Try explaining to a customer why their service no longer works 15 minutes outside of Dryden. I'd love to be the proverbial fly on the wall for those conversations.

SWI had significant roaming traffic on their network and over 12,000 customers when they were sold to TBayTel, what makes anyone think DMTS will survive where SWI failed? You have to remember there is only so much pie to go around and with the number of significant layoffs associated with the Forestry industry, where is all this money to support another provider coming from?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think that DMTS will be 'sold' off to another carrier in a short period of time. I do think that DMTS being GSM, and the ONLY gsm carrier (vs. Bell/Telus/TBaytel sharing running networks on CDMA), that it would have a LOT of roaming customers. AD-Net (Algoma district) basically used tax money to build out between Hornepayne and Sault Ste. Marie on AMPS/CDMA then sold it to SuperiorWireless, now TBayTel.

Many 'large' companies won't spend to build in rural areas, but they will spend to purchase already built.

Seeing that Northwestern Ontario has probably only 80 sites total, and almost ALL of those are located ontop of the old Bell microwave relay towers. The purchasing of GSM equipment _should_ be relatively cheap these days. The biggest cost would be colocation fees + backhaul and support.

SWI / TBayTel does CDMA roaming, DMTS does GSM roaming
    In Canada, CDMA > GSM. Globally, GSM >>> CDMA. As a former resident of the boonies of northwestern Ontario, there's a LOT of tourists from both Canada, US and Europe that pass through. Rogers has done VERY well with roaming. I'd almost suspect that DMTS could survive on roaming alone, with the exception of the summer months.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Is the inukshuk network extended up there?

Also, the original January 2009 press release indicated Q2 2009... here we are - has anyone actually picked up any networks up there or seen any infrastructure?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck
    I think that DMTS will be 'sold' off to another carrier in a short period of time. I do think that DMTS being GSM, and the ONLY gsm carrier (vs. Bell/Telus/TBaytel sharing running networks on CDMA), that it would have a LOT of roaming customers. AD-Net (Algoma district) basically used tax money to build out between Hornepayne and Sault Ste. Marie on AMPS/CDMA then sold it to SuperiorWireless, now TBayTel.

Many 'large' companies won't spend to build in rural areas, but they will spend to purchase already built.

Seeing that Northwestern Ontario has probably only 80 sites total, and almost ALL of those are located ontop of the old Bell microwave relay towers. The purchasing of GSM equipment _should_ be relatively cheap these days. The biggest cost would be colocation fees + backhaul and support.

SWI / TBayTel does CDMA roaming, DMTS does GSM roaming
    In Canada, CDMA > GSM. Globally, GSM >>> CDMA. As a former resident of the boonies of northwestern Ontario, there's a LOT of tourists from both Canada, US and Europe that pass through. Rogers has done VERY well with roaming. I'd almost suspect that DMTS could survive on roaming alone, with the exception of the summer months.
    I need to clarify a couple of your statements. Firstly, AdNet never built anything. SWI and AdNet partnered on the Algoma built, with all equipment and gear being owned by SWI.

Secondly, most of SWI's regional cell sites where not on Bell towers, they were on transport sites purchased from Allstream.

Some of TBayTel's regional sites where on Bell towers, however most of those sites have been decommissioned in favor of new TBayTel owned sites. In other situations the Nortel gear has been moved to SWI towers acquired in the in the purchase of that company.

TBayTel owns a great number of their cellular sites and has built several new towers themselves in the last 18 months. The company prefers to own their own sites whenever possible.

As of today, TBayTel has 87 active cellular sites, the majority which are Digital with plans to add 15-20 more over the next 18 months.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie5string
    Is the inukshuk network extended up there?

Also, the original January 2009 press release indicated Q2 2009... here we are - has anyone actually picked up any networks up there or seen any infrastructure?

KNet customers have been using their prepaid phones in Red Lake for sometime.

DMTS is charging over $900.00 for an 8gb iPhone. Can't see customers flocking into any of their four dealers to buy the phone at that price.

DMTS will also not be getting into Blackberry due to RIM's requirements and the cost of running a data network. There goes any hope of them taking business clients.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by piperzoe
    KNet customers have been using their prepaid phones in Red Lake for sometime.

DMTS is charging over $900.00 for an 8gb iPhone. Can't see customers flocking into any of their four dealers to buy the phone at that price.

DMTS will also not be getting into Blackberry due to RIM's requirements and the cost of running a data network. There goes any hope of them taking business clients.
    $900? Oh lord, did they get any takers for it? And it's only GSM/GPRS... I'd love to see the iTunes system at GPRS speeds...

What is DMTS charging for data?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just purchase an unlocked iPhone.

I know up in White River / Wawa areas must be on (or around?) the existing old microwave relay sites. As I never saw any new physical sites, and the coverage range was good (+25km), one could only assume that it was grafted onto a relay site, especially with them being +40km apart, and no physical backhaul (unless they tapped into newer fiber).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    For your reading pleasures, here's DMTS' info and rates.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f...db6fb9a8902bda

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    For $50/month you could do unlimited EDGE data... not bad. I'd be tethering.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck
    For $50/month you could do unlimited EDGE data... not bad. I'd be tethering.
    I'm sure they will be like everyone else, and come out with a statement after someone gets a bill for $20,000 that states tethering is not covered by the unlimited data plan. Or there will be an asterisk that says Unlimited is Restricted to Unlimited Normal Usage (lawyer speak for we have covered our asses, yet can do whatever we want).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm sure they will as well.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast