Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: DMTS goes GSM: wth is this?

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure. They were put in during the mid 90's.
    I suspect that this was a east-west way to cover a few things:

1. Backup/replacement of microwave relays
    2. Capacity add

What I found somewhat interesting was that they chose Hwy 17 / 101 vs. Hwy 11 (mostly flat land). In the end the 17/101 is not far from the CP Rail lines.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I'm not sure. They were put in during the mid 90's.

What I found somewhat interesting was that they chose Hwy 17 / 101 vs. Hwy 11 (mostly flat land). In the end the 17/101 is not far from the CP Rail lines.
    Maybe they bought the ROW off of CP? or CP leased the ROW from whatever the turn-of-the-century telco was (which eventually merged into TBay-Tel)??
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie5string View Post
    Maybe they bought the ROW off of CP? or CP leased the ROW from whatever the turn-of-the-century telco was (which eventually merged into TBay-Tel)??
    That's all Bell Canada territory up there. I worked as part of a survey crew on hwy 17 when another crew was putting the poles in for the fiber. I suspect that a lot of this is Bell fiber, and used for the following:

1. Suppelement/backup/replacement for microwave links in many areas
    2. Replace the 'many' old T-1 circuits going to town from the microwave relays with fiber (this is good).
    3. East/West bridge in Canada.

This microwave site doesn't have any cell site neighboring.

Eg. This one here is not 'touched' with fiber or phonelines , but has power run all the way from Wawa (~60 km away)
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...53.79,,2,-6.41

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...19.42,,1,-9.03

This one out near Dubreuilville hwy doesn't have fiber lines running to it, but has cell according to many reports

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...56.02,,2,-2.31

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...20.95,,2,-3.78
    Last edited by formercanuck; 06-07-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie5string View Post
    TBayTel started out as two separate phone companies in the former cities of Port Arthur and Fort William. Thunder Bay telephone was born out of the merger of two cities in 1970.

My wife's grandfather was the man in charge of Port Arthur telephone when it was launched.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nwotraveler View Post
    TBayTel started out as two separate phone companies in the former cities of Port Arthur and Fort William. Thunder Bay telephone was born out of the merger of two cities in 1970.

My wife's grandfather was the man in charge of Port Arthur telephone when it was launched.

Fantastic. I figured that most of the fibre running alongside the rail may have actually started life as multi-mode in the 80s as part of the CNCP network or maybe it's early single-mode... By now it would undergone significant upgrades at the terminals...

So any fibre running along the rails would have been laid independently of the city...

Feedback Score

Tried to do it on the cheap with Omni's...

How can they expect anyone to take them seriously with the garbage they are trying to pass off as cell service? Who sticks an Omni site in the middle of a city and expects it to handle the traffic? I also can't believe they used the word "crash" to describe what their service was doing. Hopefully, this "crash" didn't lead to any medical, police or fire calls going unanswered.

This information was copied directly from the DMTS.biz site. All spelling and formatting errors are theirs and theirs alone.

Network Update

In the Dryden Area

New sites built in the North Dryden and Wabigoon Drive area are up and working. The 65

Princess street (CO) site downtown has been fitted with new antennas and is now working as

a sectored site. This has lead to a noticeable improvement in service in the Dryden area,

there still exists network issues which are being worked on. We have however distributed the

customer load from the Main Dryden and downtown site enough to alleviate the 3:30 to 4 PM

crash.

Work on other area sites was delayed slightly by the decision to place a temporary cell site at

the airport for the Air Show weekend. We are trying to bring in an additional outside tower

crew for next week to speed up our progress. Work will continue on our new Dinorwic site

next week and it is expected to be completed the week by June 4 with priority being given to

the wireless internet, cellular to be completed the week of June 7

Sectorizing the Highway 502 (landfill) and Barclay sites to improve range and capacity will

begin the week of May 31

June 7

Work on our Eagle Lake FN tower has commenced, the power line is in, the building is

nearing completion and as of today the first 60 feet of the tower is erected. All construction

should be completed June 4

equipment will be placed after that and our equipment on the TBAYtel tower will be relocated

to the DMTS tower.

th.st pending addition of another tower crew, otherwise the week ofth.th and hopefully hydro will be connected by that date. CellularImprovements in the Region

(providing we are able to add 1 outside tower crew for week of May 31)

Red Lake (water tower site) has been changed from an omni to a sectorized (3) site, this will

greatly improve service in the town. Network optimization is still on track to be completed in

the Red Lake area the week of May 31

Sioux Lookout area the week of June 21

Sioux Narrows, Rainy River, Morson sites are all on the DMTS microwave network now and

awaiting installation of cellular equipment. This also completes the Dryden to Fort Frances

(via Hwys 17 & 71) west portion of our microwave network. Completion of equipment

installation and turn up will be in the following order, Atikokan (town site), Sioux Narrows,

Rainy River and Morson, and is scheduled for early-mid June.

Completed cell sites located on the highway corridors between municipalities are functioning

as designed. Work on the remaining 4 Highway 11 sites between Atikokan and Shabaqua is

not expected to be completed until sometime in July and we are re-assessing our options for

additional cell sites to cover between Dinorwic and Ignace.

Further updates will be provided as information becomes available.

st , Fort Frances area the week of June 7th, and thest.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    That's pretty interesting. It almost reads like a response to a possible investor contacting them and asking them "What the hell is going on up there?"

I can't believe the first 60 feet of a tower is that news-worthy for them to brag about it... But it shows you the kind of business maturity behind the DMTS network and it doesn't look promising.

Feedback Score
    There's goes the iPhone gravy train...

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...ne-canada.html

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Lol...did you forward the link to their execs?

Feedback Score
    Why would it matter? It's obvious they don't care when they are listing the phone for $300.00-$400.00 above the MSR. If that's not taking advantage of a customer, then I don't know what is.

If I was DMTS, I'd be more concerned about Apple finding out they are inflating the price. Apple doesn't take kindly to people messing with their pricing; that's a sure fire way to lose the ability to sell Apple's products.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nwotraveler View Post
    How can they expect anyone to take them seriously with the garbage they are trying to pass off as cell service? Who sticks an Omni site in the middle of a city and expects it to handle the traffic? I also can't believe they used the word "crash" to describe what their service was doing. Hopefully, this "crash" didn't lead to any medical, police or fire calls going unanswered.
    Yeah, I'd say that the word 'crash' in an official site is not professional, at all.
    An omni 'probably' could do the job in Dryden (after all, how many people use the service up there, and how much spectrum is available). Personally, I don't know why they would have gone with an omni in the first place... must have been a good sale on used equipment, and it takes less configuration (no 120 / 180 degree sectors or tilt).

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I bet the Omni didn't work because it had hot spots and was bouncing off of the road, creating multipath problems, hence the tendency to "crash" (ie: use up all available signaling codes.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't know about that... Omnis are used quite widely in many rural areas
    Eg.
    Hard to tell from Google Maps, but these look like Omnis
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...33.77,,3,-13.4

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...99.88,,2,-7.39

Even Goderich has omnis
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...22.62,,2,-9.45

I suspect that DMTS was on the cheap and limited the amount of equipment (radios + cheap antennas).

Feedback Score
    A single Omni antenna is fine in a place like Caramat or Nakina that has a population of less than 300 people. But to put a single stick up in the core of a town or city with a population of 4500 to 7000 is asking for problems.

I'm willing to bet the issue was caused by kids chatting and texting once school was out for the day. I can only imagine the complaints that must have been rolling in DMTS' office. Sad part is they probably didn't answer most of the calls since they shut down their cs every weekday at 4:30.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The big question is... How much spectrum do dmts have deployed?
    If it's cell A or B... Then they have 25MHz which isn't bad. If they have a couple of pcs licenses as well, then it's not bad.
    By adding in directional (120 degree ), then it's 3x the capacity over an omni.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast