Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon - Centro or Curve??

Feedback Score

Verizon - Centro or Curve??

Howdy,
    I've been struggling with what smartphone to get -- saw the Centro at my local Verizon store and was quite impressed (plus a good friend has it on Sprint and loves it for texting & calls). I know the Palm OS is kind of outdated but from what I've read it is stable and easy to use - and plays more nicely with Macs than Blackberry does.

What I'm looking for (in no particular order) ..
    - Really good call quality (after all it is a phone first & foremost)
    - Email (gmail IMAP and earthlink POP). Don't need push .. I'm fine going to get email when necessary
    - Full QWERTY keyboard
    - Sync with Macbook running Leopard
    - Calendar, tasks with the ability to 2-way sync with iCal
    - Ability to 2-way sync contacts with AddressBook and ideally to keep the groups that I have
    - Web browsing
    - Texting
    - Ability to view PDF, word & excel docs (edit is nice but not a need)
    - Bluetooth
    - Speakerphone
    - Ability to check my calendar while I'm talking on the phone.

I tried the Pearl for a couple of weeks - loved the size and didn't so much mind the SureType keypad.. got used to it just about the time I decided to send it back. The things about the Pearl I didn't like were that I couldn't open PDFs from websites & couldn't get it to sync tasks with my Mac (I used PocketMac).

I am not happy about possibly having to pay $30 to Mark/Space for the MissingSync program but have come to accept that as one cost of being a Mac user who refuses to go to AT&T to get the iPhone (and besides I'm not sure if I'd do the iPhone if I was already with AT&T anyway).

I'm leaning towards the Centro ..I like the way it looks & feels better than the Curve and it is more similar in size to the Pearl. And Blackberry just seems too 'corporate' for my personal use. Plus I know with the Curve I'd have to get MissingSync - maybe with the Centro I won't have to?

Choices.. choices.. choices. I'm just thrilled to be able to stay with Verizon and finally have some decent phones to choose from.

Device(s)
    128GB Black iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Wireless,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zidkid
    Howdy,
    I've been struggling with what smartphone to get -- saw the Centro at my local Verizon store and was quite impressed (plus a good friend has it on Sprint and loves it for texting & calls). I know the Palm OS is kind of outdated but from what I've read it is stable and easy to use - and plays more nicely with Macs than Blackberry does.

What I'm looking for (in no particular order) ..
    - Really good call quality (after all it is a phone first & foremost)
    - Email (gmail IMAP and earthlink POP). Don't need push .. I'm fine going to get email when necessary
    - Full QWERTY keyboard
    - Sync with Macbook running Leopard
    - Calendar, tasks with the ability to 2-way sync with iCal
    - Ability to 2-way sync contacts with AddressBook and ideally to keep the groups that I have
    - Web browsing
    - Texting
    - Ability to view PDF, word & excel docs (edit is nice but not a need)
    - Bluetooth
    - Speakerphone
    - Ability to check my calendar while I'm talking on the phone.

I tried the Pearl for a couple of weeks - loved the size and didn't so much mind the SureType keypad.. got used to it just about the time I decided to send it back. The things about the Pearl I didn't like were that I couldn't open PDFs from websites & couldn't get it to sync tasks with my Mac (I used PocketMac).

I am not happy about possibly having to pay $30 to Mark/Space for the MissingSync program but have come to accept that as one cost of being a Mac user who refuses to go to AT&T to get the iPhone (and besides I'm not sure if I'd do the iPhone if I was already with AT&T anyway).

I'm leaning towards the Centro ..I like the way it looks & feels better than the Curve and it is more similar in size to the Pearl. And Blackberry just seems too 'corporate' for my personal use. Plus I know with the Curve I'd have to get MissingSync - maybe with the Centro I won't have to?

Choices.. choices.. choices. I'm just thrilled to be able to stay with Verizon and finally have some decent phones to choose from.
    First of all, welcome to Howard Forums!

Wow, I would say the iPhone would fit your needs perfectly. However, since you ruled that out I say that since I owned the Curve at one point I can honestly say that it's a solid device. My main gripe is that it does not do HTML email. That was so annoying for me. It does do push email for your gmail account. I have never played with the Centro because like you said, the Palm OS is outdated. You also have to consider battery life on the Centro. Battery life on the Curve is excellent.

I think your best bet is to try them both.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    yeah try them both probably
    maybe there is a third option to choose from too? idk
    seems like the centro is better for you but idk it depends on what you need more
    im guessing the centro though
    iPhone 3GS Jailbroken 3.0
    Follow me on Twitter!

Email [email protected] for help with iPhone/iPod's, Smartphone's, and Computer's! I will get back to you ASAP

Feedback Score
    curve

more features

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I personally have never been a fan of the Palm OS. I have been a Blackberry guy for a while. I like the push email and how fast the OS is. It doesn't sync to well to a mac though. If you want to sync music you are going to need to buy a special program to do so.

Device(s)
    LG VX8350
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just bought the Curve and I love it. The salesman at the Verizon store steered me away from the Centro, even though it cost about $200 more. "The Curve is a better phone," he stated. I would read as many reviews as you can about both phones; then see how the phone feels in your hand, but do that more than once, because when I first tried the Curve I thought the keyboard was too small. Actually, it's just about right. And Verizon is running a sale on the Curve right now through June 30: $149.00 after a $70.00 mail-in rebate. This price became effective just today and so I grabbed one because yesterday they were $299.00.

Carrier(s)
    Wal-Mart Family Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a Centro and my wife uses a Curve. From what you are looking for, I would go with the Centro...

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Cool
    tell us how you like the Curve .. I am thinking about getting one so I would like to know how you like it.

Device(s)
    LG VX8350
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dette
    Cool
    tell us how you like the Curve .. I am thinking about getting one so I would like to know how you like it.
    The Curve is the best phone I have ever owned up to now. The call quality and reception are excellent. The screen display is clear and vibrant. The speakerphone works very well too, although I have only used it a few times. I am new to a Blackberry device and I found the user interface quite intuitive and easy to learn. In just two days, I am using most of the features on my phone with ease. The coolest thing about this phone is that once you set up your email accounts (I use three, but the Curve will allow ten), you never have to keep running to your PC to check email because a little red signal light begins to flash on the Curve informing you that you have new messages. So you can be watching TV or having lunch or whatever, and if you see the red light flashing, you can check your email right where you are. That is the whole point of having a smartphone and the primary reason why I purchased a Blackberry. I am very pleased with the Curve. If there is anything else you would like to know, just ask.

Device(s)
    BB Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I liked the Curve better than the Centro.

But I didn't want the $29.99 data plan that is required with the Curve, so I exchanged it for the Centro. Takes a while to get used to it, but the Centro is an excellent cell. I'm glad I exchanged it, saved me a lot of $$$.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS 32GB.
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinian
    Actually, it's just about right. And Verizon is running a sale on the Curve right now through June 30: $149.00 after a $70.00 mail-in rebate. This price became effective just today and so I grabbed one because yesterday they were $299.00.

lol at&t theyre 99$.
    but you should go for the curve.
    but i dont like the os either. and they keyboard. someone bust out the thumbtacks to use the dang thing. (also have fat thumbs so that doesnt help hah.)
    s3an.

Device(s)
    VX8550
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sean.couture
    and they keyboard. someone bust out the thumbtacks to use the dang thing. (also have fat thumbs so that doesnt help hah.)
    i looked at a centro today, i think it was on sprint. and thoughs buttons are tiny too. I think most qwerty keyboards are getting smaller though.
    Prost.

Device(s)
    LG VX8350
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sean.couture
    lol at&t theyre 99$.
    but you should go for the curve.
    but i dont like the os either. and they keyboard. someone bust out the thumbtacks to use the dang thing. (also have fat thumbs so that doesnt help hah.)
    Go figure! But then, I wasn't about to switch to AT&T to save $50 because Verizon has much better reception in my area. Still, you have to wonder why AT&T can offer the identical phone for $50 less than Verizon!

Device(s)
    LG VX8350
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabba
    i looked at a centro today, i think it was on sprint. and thoughs buttons are tiny too. I think most qwerty keyboards are getting smaller though.
    I looked at the Centro too, but the tiny keys turned me off. I had to hit them with my fingertip in order to use them and even then, I found myself hitting two keys at once. That would drive me nuts, especially if you're trying to dial a number and have to do it with only one hand!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS 32GB.
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinian
    Go figure! But then, I wasn't about to switch to AT&T to save $50 because Verizon has much better reception in my area. Still, you have to wonder why AT&T can offer the identical phone for $50 less than Verizon!

Very true. Just depends where you live for the coverage, but at&t is probly lowering the price to have it more appealing to the younger crowd to afford the phone and also to try n keep the current curve users there, also to prep for the Bold :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast