Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: LG Dare VS 3G iPhone Thread

Device(s)
    LG enV TOUCH
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by STC1709
    If anything this thread should be Blackberry Thunder vs. Apple Iphone because if you want to go there, then Research In Motion will beat out Apple in this category sorry to say. I think that is the real iphone killer. Personally I don't think the Dare can be compared to the iphone. As much as I am a VZW customer and I love the Dare I'm just stating truth.
    This thread was started due to the increasing posts comparing the Dare and the iPhone over on the VZW LG forums.
    Specifically the Dare Pre-release thread, which is not how that type of thread is intended to be used.

***Why so serious?***

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esquire0399
    Well, actually you're just stating what you assume to be true. Until you try the Dare out for yourself, or at least find out more info about it, you can't say what the Dare will and will not be. Not that I disagree with what you said, I just think that any judgments such as these should be withheld until the Dare is actually released.
    I think STC1709 is referring to the dare is a "dumbphone", the iphone is a smartphone. Its almost like comparing an SUV to a coupe. Both may be cars, but each has their own niche that they feed.

Just because the dare and the iphone both have a main similar feature (touchscreen), does not mean they can be compared. Its almost silly to try and put the dare on the level of the iphone... The blackberry thunder I do agree with is a better comparison. This is the same as comparing the voyager to the iphone, look how that went.

Feedback Score
    Thankfully some of the misinformation in this thread has already been cleared up.

I think what we have to keep in mind is that no matter what phone you put up against the iPhone for comparison someone will say that it isn't a proper match up. Dare vs. iPhone and you get, "The Dare isn't a smart phone." iPhone vs. Thunder and you'll hear, "The iPhone isn't a true smart phone." It is all perspective. And the iPhone is in a very unique position of having some of the most advanced phone features on the planet while missing some of the most basic.

All it really comes down to is which features are most important to you. I myself am in "shopping mode." Have been since before the Next campaign last year. I am off contract with T-Mobile and watching intently the rapid changes in the mobile industry. Both the Dare and second generation iPhone have been on my short list. Dare comes to the table with better 3G and wider 3G coverage, a better camera w/ flash and standard functions like MMS, stereo bluetooth, video capability, removable memory, and removable battery. The new iPhone brings their incredible platform, slick browser, lots of applications, huge potential and a great new price.

When I really look at the specs and pricing though, I would be hard pressed to justify an iPhone purchase. Data packages have been bumped up to $30/month on the iPhone. That means you'll spend an additional $240 over the life of your contract compared to their old plan. And $360 more than the data services for the Dare. The lack of MMS and video capabilities may a be a deal breaker as well. Do I really want to be saddled with a phone in 2010 that doesn't have the capability to send or receive a freakin' picture message or take a half way decent picture in a low light situation?

Right now I don't know which direction I will head though. With so many incredible new phones on the horizons it is tough to make a decision. I don't know if I will settle soon with a Dare, or wait it out until Tegra based phones and/or Android phones are released.

Feedback Score
    Actually for all of those using the cost of unlimited data as a comparison, remember that for $30 you get GPS, unlimited data, and mail.
    For Verizon it is $15 for unlimited data....
    ...but $5 for mail and $10 for GPS
    which is $30! So in the end it would be the same cost except the iPhone is a smartphone and the Dare is a dumbphone that cost just as much to own.
    I guess its whatever floats your boat

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by backdown00
    I think STC1709 is referring to the dare is a "dumbphone", the iphone is a smartphone. Its almost like comparing an SUV to a coupe. Both may be cars, but each has their own niche that they feed.

Just because the dare and the iphone both have a main similar feature (touchscreen), does not mean they can be compared. Its almost silly to try and put the dare on the level of the iphone... The blackberry thunder I do agree with is a better comparison. This is the same as comparing the voyager to the iphone, look how that went.
    I didn't say anything whatsoever about what he/she was comparing or whether or not I felt they were comparable products. All I said was that if he/she is going to compare the two, he/she should wait until both are released. And for the record, the comparing the Dare to the iPhone is not like comparing the Voyager to the iPhone considering the Dare is far more feature packed than the Voyager. But that's not the point anyway.
    A slice of bread will always land peanut butter side down. If, by chance, you put peanut butter on both sides of the slice, it will float forever.

I'm an artist, see LOOK! Told you

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by amez510
    The 3G iPhone is not CDMA, only GSM. I'm afraid to say that Apple will never make a CDMA iPhone, its too small of a market. Verizon's any device thing doesn't apply because the iPhone is GSM. Besides, AT&T has the exclusive rights to the iPhone for the next 4 years in the U.S.
    4 years? Whoa... i thought it was till only 2009
    Nexus One -> Vibrant -> G2 -> Nexus S -> Current Phone: Sensation

Device(s)
    Samsung i8910
    Carrier(s)
    Anything GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by $ahil
    4 years? Whoa... i thought it was till only 2009
    It was a 5-year exclusive deal.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon-There is no other.
    Feedback Score
    PSN username=CYBORG_SMURF
    Google Talk: matrix.underworld

Device(s)
    Samsung A950
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    what blows me away is screen size why cant vzw get a screen like ipuke its 3.5 compared to the voyager and dare at 2.81 i think before i drop my voyager on a dare ill wait on the thunder it looks to have a nice screen even thoe the dares rev A status is temping apple cant touch those speeeds

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beweglich
    Actually for all of those using the cost of unlimited data as a comparison, remember that for $30 you get GPS, unlimited data, and mail.
    which is $30! So in the end it would be the same cost except the iPhone is a smartphone and the Dare is a dumbphone that cost just as much to own.
    No one needs to pay $5 for mail on Verizon, just access your account through mobile web. GPS doesn't cost $10. Navigation costs $10. As I understand it, iPhone users are going to have to buy a 3rd party app in order to get navigation anyhow so you can't really compare this until that cost is known. Sorry if looking at a map doesn't do much for me.

And don't forget Vcast videos are included in the $15 also.

I don't consider the iPhone a true smart phone as it doesn't have enough capability for business users--and business users will have to pay $45 for data anyhow.

It's hard to get a true comparison of the two, regardless.

Device(s)
    audivox something[end]
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile[end]
    Feedback Score
    hah wow, i knew this thread was coming..>_<
    but what are the dimensions of the Dare to be compared to the iphone? ..

Device(s)
    LG Chocolate 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Exactly I'm in omaha too and no 3G for ATT here so Dare it is for me and the better camera (with video recording) and MMS abilities too. iphone is great, I have an iPod touch and love it but no 3G service from ATT and more expensive plan so no iPhone for me.

Device(s)
    LG Chocolate 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by STC1709
    Heres my question. I'm a long VZW customer I get service everywhere. I can't stand AT&T, but I am in love with the iphone. If all else fails I get the Dare.

Now I was reading somewhere online that this new 3g iphone will be able to work with all carriers, not sure how much of it is true. But it was stated that the iphone will work with GSM and CDMA. I understand that last years model iphone would not work with verizon (as it was GSM only), but if the new 3g iphone works with CDMA, then one could purchase an unlocked iphone once there hacked (which won't take long) thus having great service with the best phone out there. Now I'm not sure if this is true or not. I'm praying to God that it is.

Has anyone read or heard the same type of ordeal that I have been reading?
    I think the iphone will be CDMA for Japan and certain other markets that use CDMA but they use different bands than we do in the US so I'm not sure the iphone could be hacked to work on Verizon here in the US although that would be as you said the best phone on the best service provider.

Feedback Score

Incorrect information about Iphone

Quote Originally Posted by Beweglich
    Actually that isnt true at all. There is no true GPS on Iphone. Down the road there will have to be apps for it. But as of now there is no turn by turn, voice, or true navigation. You will be a dot on a map that gives you directions, just like if you printed directions from google. You will need to actually see where you are and have no indicators. So actually you cant compare it like that.
    I totally agree with nbajam

Quote Originally Posted by nbajam
    No one needs to pay $5 for mail on Verizon, just access your account through mobile web. GPS doesn't cost $10. Navigation costs $10. As I understand it, iPhone users are going to have to buy a 3rd party app in order to get navigation anyhow so you can't really compare this until that cost is known. Sorry if looking at a map doesn't do much for me.

And don't forget Vcast videos are included in the $15 also.

I don't consider the iPhone a true smart phone as it doesn't have enough capability for business users--and business users will have to pay $45 for data anyhow.

It's hard to get a true comparison of the two, regardless.
    Last edited by TheHerder; 06-25-2008 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Since someone posted a response i didnt see just wanted to modify it to add some thoughts

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Dare wins via Better Service and noncrippled functionality

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast