Thread: Orange & UMA

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Orange & UMA

I am an Orange OVP Virgin subscriber. I spend a lot of time in the UK but am a resident of the US and Dubai. While I qualified for a contract phone some time ago, I don't think I could qualify for roaming and frankly don't need it since I have better roaming deals elsewhere.

Nothwithstanding this, it would be nice to get access to my account from abroad to change call diversion settings, call customer help, check for the stray SMS that has shown up, etc.

I know that Orange has UMA. I don't really want a monthly commitment because I am in the UK roughly 45 days out of a year. I was wondering if I purchased their UMA phone and shoved my SIM in it whether it would work over ordinary wifi. (Keep Dubai's internet weirdness out of the picture).

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Orange UK has UMA? News to me!

Why not use an E or N series nokia for example for calling over wifi? You'll be able to change call diversion settings and receive sms over GSM for no charge anyway.

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have an E65 tied to an Asterisks server. I also have a Nokia E61.

I know about services like Truphone, but this is where I am coming from. I have much cheaper ways to call the UK than this. Periodically, (normally for two weeks after a long UK trip), I find myself checking my UK mobile's voicemail for calls. It would be nice to simply leave the phone in a corner at home and periodically, pick it up and see if there is a new SMS or voice message. Since Orange doesn't love its discontinued OVP Virgin customers, I would also like to occasionally send an SMS or place a brief call to keep some activity on the phone if I know too many months have passed since I've been in the UK.

UMA and SIP are not the same thing. If you could tell me how to connect to ORange's UMA server via SIP or Nokia 3GPP, that would be great, but would not be likely.

It would be worth it to me to pay a one off fee for an UMA phone to have this access to the phone. I know it would be cheaper for me to get a new SIM every time I go, etc., but this is the number I had from when I lived there and I'd like to hang on to it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Thumbs up VOice over WiFi

I suggest trying Vyke.com for your Nokia phones. I have an N82 and I use it at home, in the office and when abroad. It saves me over 90% on all my international calls. the great thing about Vyke is that it is prepaid, so you only pay for what you use and if you don't use it for a period of time you still have the money. It works on all E and N phones I think for Nokia...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    from my understanding the only thing you want to be able to call on your phone is customer service, but other than that just texts and change call divert settings? if that is the case, you can call customer service on +44 7973 100 150 from any phone (well any phone that lets you call UK mobiles). you can call any other orange short code by changing the '150' part to the short code you want to ring, for example the answerphone on '123'.

for receiving texts and changing settings you could not use all these wifi services people are suggesting! orange's UMA thing works with Orange broadband, and i doubt it would work with any other broadband provider and so would probably not work outside the UK (it's set up to work with orange's livebox, which i doubt would work outside the UK, or in the UK to connect to another ISP). however, if you have been with orange for a while they might now let you activate roaming, and this would let you receive SMS messages and change call forwarding setting for free while you are outside the UK.

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've been on Orange since 2002, but when I tried a year and a half ago, they ran a credit check and didn't have enough information. I have a UK credit card with a perfect payment record and a UK bank account, but I am not on the electoral role (obviously) and my pay checks/cheques currently come from the US.

Thank your for explaining Orange's Unique service to me. Apparently Roger's service using similar technology in Canada is equally as crippled. I was comparing it to TMobile in the US which is wide open.

I'm in the UK in two weeks and will check things out more when I get there. I have two weeks this time so I can get a few more things sorted.