Thread: BlackBerry Curve and "SIM Rejected" -- again?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Curve 8900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Unhappy BlackBerry Curve and "SIM Rejected" -- again?

Hey guys, I've had my BlackBerry since last October I believe, and I'm having a strange issue this morning. Last month my old SIM card that I'd had for several years and through several phones completely died. I have PIN security enabled on my phone, and the last time the SIM died it wouldn't prompt me for that at all, and under SIM information it was all Unknown.

This time, everything looks to be fine in that I get prompted for my PIN and my phone password, I see signal towers in the corner for maybe 1 second before it switches to SOS and tells me "SIM Card Rejected" where I'd normally see T-Mobile.

I have the [email protected] option on my account, and can still browse the Web and receive e-mail through that, but the phone and mobile network functionality is non-existent. I've already pulled the SIM and battery, reseated both, rebooted the phone multiple times, called customer care, etc.

At this point is it likely a phone issue? Looks like it happened right at 6AM as that's the last message I received before it became unusable. At that time, the phone was charging on my desk. The BlackBerry/PDA rep I spoke with said that it's probably a phone issue, but if it is I'd be under warranty and they'd cover it. Unfortunately I don't have another T-Mobile phone nearby to test it in.

Thoughts?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, GS8, Nokia 6230i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Xfinity Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    you need a new SIM, as a former Business Sales rep for T-Mo this happened from time to time. I found that it tended to happen with the T-Mo SIM cards that were square in the middle (no rounded corners on the gold part) more often then the rounded corners or teardrop shaped gold part on the SIM.

If you call Tmo and troubleshoot they should note your account that you need a new SIM which they'll provide for free (or write you a $20 credit on your account and ask you to go to the nearest store and purchase it)

Theres an outside chance it is the phone, but you'd have to replace the SIM first to find that out anyway
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Curve 8900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ahh thanks, hillstrubl. I walked over to the T-Mobile store that's just a block or two away from my work and showed the rep there my phone. He tried a new SIM in it and called me from the store, it worked fine. Gave me my old one back, too, and didn't charge me anything. Took all of maybe 10 minutes (mostly waiting for the phone to boot).

Just to be on the safe side I resent myself the service books. So far so good. Thanks!

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Curve 8900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Angry Again?!

Bumping this because it just happened to me yet again, around 3:30 today. Had been using the phone just fine prior, had it on my desk. Typed a message, hit "Send" and watched as it failed to send, dropped the wifi connection, and reverted to "SIM Card Rejected." Battery pull, SIM reseat, disabling/re-enabling content compression and security, rebooting it again. No difference.

This is now the third SIM card it's eaten in the 9 or so months I've had it. What the hell is going on?

Device(s)
    Iphone 8 Plus (AT&T), 6S (Vz)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon. T-Mobile 1999-2009, RIP.
    Feedback Score
    Do you have another phone to try your SIM in? Maybe a buddy on tmobile if you dont have one? Or is a corp store / indirect nearby, bring it there and see if your sim works in other phones...

If it works in one phone and not your Blackberry, then maybe your Blackberry is to blame.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Curve 8900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknoi
    Do you have another phone to try your SIM in? Maybe a buddy on tmobile if you dont have one? Or is a corp store / indirect nearby, bring it there and see if your sim works in other phones...

If it works in one phone and not your Blackberry, then maybe your Blackberry is to blame.
    I don't have another phone to try it in at the moment, but I did have the previous SIM that I just had replaced in May that the rep gave back to me. Just tried that one and got a "SIM not provisioned" message, which I'd expect to see.

Really aggravating..

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    this same issue happened to another person i know with a tmo curve (8320)...just randomly went to sim card rejected and the card was hosed and needed to replace it. maybe it's a curve fluke?

Device(s)
    IPhone X Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Did you upgrade your OS? On BB forums, there were reports that some TMO SIMs were damaged by different versions of 4.5.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Curve 8900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I hadn't upgraded my OS, still would like to wait until it's finalized. Went to the corp store again, told the rep that I'd already changed my SIM three times in the past, most recently at the beginning of May. He gave me a new one, but also put a note in my account and told me to call 800-937-8997 and ask for the "BlackBerry & PDA" department to go through the process of an RMA. Guess I have until Sept 26 to do that, but I don't really want to be without a phone unless I absolutely have to. I'll have to just tough it out and hope it doesn't happen a 4th time.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8320 (Curve)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This happened to my wife's BB Curve today for the first time. Her phone is not upgraded to OS 4.5 yet and it just happened out of the blue. I tried rebooting several times, battery pulls, and even cleaning the contacts with a Q-Tip and a bit of alcohol.

Any updates on what it could have been?

If it is the phone, anyone know how long the BB Curve is under warranty by T-Mobile?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I accidentally moved this thread here. Verizon users: Please disregard!
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Cylon Droid Communicator
    Carrier(s)
    New Caprica Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thread Moved
    Keep all PHONE discussion within the Verizon Phone Discussion sub forum. We will close/move threads without notice if you do not follow the the VZW forum rules. Report inappropriate posts by clicking on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of any post, or the orange triangle in the bottom left for Premium members.

Device(s)
    IPhone X Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanesFan19
    This happened to my wife's BB Curve today for the first time. Her phone is not upgraded to OS 4.5 yet and it just happened out of the blue. I tried rebooting several times, battery pulls, and even cleaning the contacts with a Q-Tip and a bit of alcohol.

Any updates on what it could have been?

If it is the phone, anyone know how long the BB Curve is under warranty by T-Mobile?
    Warranty is one year.

(Wow! Kudos to the new mods. After living in what appeared to be a mod-free zone on the TMO forums for so long, you guys are really on the ball.)

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This just happened to me last night. Went to bed with the phone working fine then this morning when I checked it, "sim card rejected" was displayed in the top left hand corner.