Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blackberry Messenger question

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.18 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have a question. If I'm in the USA and have a friend in any other country who aswell has a blackberry. Are there any charges when I communicate with him via BB messenger? What's the criteria for this situation? And charges if any involved?? Thanks for your help.

Device(s)
    iPhone 16gb - Black
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    ...........Edit..........

I know for email, you need to have the international BB plan. Some have told me the BBM doesn't charge, but I would think it would.
    All opinions and postings are my own thoughts and opinions and in no way reflect the policies, terms and conditions, or should be taken as an agreement or binding contract between you and AT&T Mobility.

666- 4/3/7 at 12:41AM

1000- 7/10/7 at 9:16PM

Device(s)
    BB 9700 v6.0.0.344 | BB 9300 v6.0.0.344
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    As far as I know, there isn't any charges...but cannot confirm that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BB 8320
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.18 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have a question. If I'm in the USA and have a friend in any other country who aswell has a blackberry. Are there any charges when I communicate with him via BB messenger? What's the criteria for this situation? And charges if any involved?? Thanks for your help.
    BlackBerry Messenger works off of pin messaging so any messages you send/receive via BlackBerry Messenger come off of your monthly alloted data package from your wireless service provider. There is no data roaming charges if you pin someone from another country while you're in the USA.

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOLD,Blackberry 8310
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (ex USCC)
    Feedback Score
    is your account based in the US?
    if so you will not see any extra charges...
    just as you wouldnt be billed by gmail or your email provider for sending email overseas

Device(s)
    iPhone 16gb - Black
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Why was I thinking you were going abroad... That's what happens when you are at working rushing to answer HF questions, Lol.

Device(s)
    Motorola Milestone/Droid
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

I would think not. I'm in Canada and I've used BBM with a friend in the US, another in Germany, and another in England and I've never seen any additional charges for it on my bill just business as usual on my data plan.

Feedback Score

Beautifull I'm pretty sure there is no charge since it goes through BB server instead of the provider. Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure its free. I believe that's why you can only chat between BB to BB.

Device(s)
    BB 8830 WE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (primary - work)
    Feedback Score
    the only caveat is that you should be on the same type of network...gsm that is. This will not work for gsm to CDMA....I tried using my verizon to my dad's GSM BB and it didn't work unless roaming on gsm networks....
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOLD,Blackberry 8310
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (ex USCC)
    Feedback Score
    thats weird, ive been BB Messagin between GSM and IDEN all day as well as GSm to CDMA

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newtechfreak
    the only caveat is that you should be on the same type of network...gsm that is. This will not work for gsm to CDMA....I tried using my verizon to my dad's GSM BB and it didn't work unless roaming on gsm networks....

When I have used CDMA BlackBerries I never had any issues sending pin messages to any GSM BlackBerry user worldwide regardless of what carrier they were on.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8830
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I don't see how that would affect BB messenger and I can't see how this can be correct. Isn't that kind of like saying you can't email someone if you're on CDMA and they're on GSM?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That is incorrect -- you had some other issue (remember, correlation does not imply causation). The PIN infrastructure doesn't care which carrier you're on or what network is used by the carriers involved. You can PIN/BBM between BB's on different network technologies.

Beautifull I'm pretty sure there is no charge since it goes through BB server instead of the provider.
    Technically, it all goes through your carrier. What matters is whether it's a data or not. Data is data and the carrier can't discriminate between "domestic" and "international" packets. It's a different story with SMS (which isn't data).

If I'm in the USA and have a friend in any other country who aswell has a blackberry. Are there any charges when I communicate with him via BB messenger? What's the criteria for this situation?
    Again, the criteria is whether it's data or not. You don't get charged in this case just as you don't get charged for email to international destinations or browsing websites from other countries, etc...

Anything that counts as data is included in your Blackberry data plan.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 9000 BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Anyone can help me? If I'm traveling to the US and I am roaming on another network I pay roaming charges for data to use BB messenger??

Device(s)
    Curve 8900
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    can someone here confirm that it doesnt charge? my family in hk has blackberrys and im here in the US. it would be great if its free.. i kno somone said it all depends on your data plan. so if i have unlimited data and them as well, it should be free right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast