Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: K850i -- still buggy, or alright to buy now/

Carrier(s)
    • Verizon Wireless •
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FredHenk
    my model purchased from Sony style has no problems at all. Cam works perfectly. No lag. Very fast. Sound quality is excellent. I use it heavily. my firmware is R1EA031.

Go for it. You wont be sorry.

See...here lies the issue. For every glowing report that comes from a very-satisfied owner like you, there are many more reports on virtually every online phone forum from owners who are having constant, or at least frequently occurring problems with their k850i's no matter where they were purchased from.

If the newest batch proves to be of better construction, and are coming from Sony with bug-free software...then I will give it a go. Until then, it seems like a roll of the dice.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Unhappy

Agreed...

I've had the 850i (also purchased from SonyStyle) up and running for exactly a week, and it has just suffered the white ring of death. From the beginning there was a major lag in the interface, especially with the center touch button. It also had difficulty at times communicating with the lap top, therefore locking up and needing a manual reboot. To say that this is a grave disappointment is an understatement, as I had become accustomed to the higher functionality and 3G speed capability; for now it's grudgingly back to the K790a (still a great phone but will not stream audio well) until which time SE either corrects the issues or refunds my purchase...

Device(s)
    N8 uh 5
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Does there seem to be any correlation between grey market phones and the ones from SonyStyle working properly?

I'm also on the fence about this phone, but unless a NAM N82 appears soon, I don't know what other options there are out there.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    An update:

I've had the repaired 850 up and running for about a month now. The firmware was changed from 031 to 037. I am quite impressed to this point (9/10). What I have noticed so far is that the battery drain is definitely an issue. Other minor things include the RSS feeder sometimes will hang up and not connect unless the phone is rebooted and the push notification will sometimes randomly disappear, but to this point all and all the 850 has lived up to its advancement over the 790/800.

Device(s)
    K850
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    i think that there are definately more people taking the time and effort to post complaints than there are people praising the phone. When people have problems or issues they look to the forums for answers. I'm sure there are lots of satisfied k850 users that we don't here about. I personally find the menu very slow and the keys somewhat uncomfortable to use... but i'll stick it out for a few months until i get bored. The only thing that keeps me buying SE phones are the menus - best in the biz.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch (HTC)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    to answer the op's original question... The keys still crack very fast.
    and I had no idea there were so many issues with the software too...
    Glentel
    Wirelesswave

Carrier(s)
    • Verizon Wireless •
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Every day, in every way...I am exceedingly glad that I didn't give in to my urges, and buy the k850i.

Device(s)
    c510a
    Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    it took literally a week for sony to start repairs on my phone after they received it. CS explained there is a "backup". i guarantee you there is more than less ppl with problems.
    i think the opposite. the average person doesnt surf cell forums.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I agree, the average person doesn't surf cell forums. I think the ones that do have problems search the net and end up at the forums for help.

A lot of my friends have problems with their phones but always call the provider they're with to solve the problem.

The k850i is a feature rich phone and I would recommend it to anyone, considering its unbranded with the latest firmware.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4/Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    just got my 850i, and i must say, i love it. the only thing im worried about is texting. Im a heavy texter. Its a good thing im keeping the 8310 as a back up.
    HF/CB

"this thing you want, that you think you want, you dont want"
    LOL. KEANU FTW

i wasn't born in 1977.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson k790a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    i'm also debating between buying this (off of addictedtophones .com for US warranty + free shipping) but i'm not sure if I want the SE or the Nokia N82.

Sure, it doesn't have US 3g but it has WIFI and GPS plus S60 and a real Dpad...
    More bars in more places: an alcoholic's dream come true.

Feedback Score
    The camera and firmware on the k850i is still a bit unreliable, i would wait a few more months (if you can wait that long). or look into the Xperia X1 or the C905 that should be released by the end of the year.

Device(s)
    Samsung Focus-WP7
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ipodlover77
    just got my 850i, and i must say, i love it. the only thing im worried about is texting. Im a heavy texter. Its a good thing im keeping the 8310 as a back up.
    Does the keypad lock function properly? I just got mine, and the "*" and the then "p"(when pressed for a long period, appear. However, no keypad lock! Let me know if yours works.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4/Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    well im not sure. to lock the keypad i have to press the * then my right touch key becomes "lock".

Device(s)
    iPhone 4/Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    is it me or does the flash come on sometimes when its not supposed too?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast