Thread: Bitpim help with the LG Shine

Device(s)
    Sony K510
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Unhappy Bitpim help with the LG Shine

I'm more of a sony ericsson kind of person, but i've recently bought the LG Shine and i'm having alot of trouble trying to put my own ringtones onto it. (I use Rogers if that's any help)

I downloaded Bitpim 1.0.5, downloaded PC Suite, connected my phone (which was accepted by both PC suite and Bitpim) went to settings and put in LG VX8700, the COM, clicked on filesystems and then on the expand button. It was recieving for a few seconds and then nothing showed up. I looked at the log and it said:
    (23:11:49.092 COM9: Opening port COM9, 115200 baud, timeout 3.000000, hardwareflow 0, softwareflow 0
    23:11:49.108 COM9: Open of comm port suceeded
    23:11:49.140 Other CDMA Phone: Listing subdirs in dir: ''
    23:11:49.155 Other CDMA Phone: Now in brew mode
    23:11:49.203 Failed to read filesystem
    23:11:49.217 Other CDMA Phone: Listing files in dir: ''
    23:11:49.265 Failed to read filesystem)

Figuring that i was doing something wrong, I tried all again, only this time, installing 1.0.2 Bitpim connecting to 3 different ports in my efforts. I've spent the better part of a day trying to get this to work and at this point i know i need some help. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong, or what else i could try to make to work?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (R.I.P. Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    It sounds to me like you are doing all the steps correctly, which would indicate that it's something in the way BitPim is trying to connect to your phone. Make sure that it's really looking for your phone and not something else. Every single time I open BitPim I have to go into the options menu and change the phone that it's looking for, it always reverts to another phone. Also try changing the COM port to 15. I cannot remember right now if it's 9 or 15, but try both and see if either one works. There is a tutorial on this forum that talks about installing custom ringtones for the Shine, it has all the steps and settings written down. Search for it and you should be able to find it pretty easy. But if you can't for any reason just PM me and I'll get you the link.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.....Welcome to HowardForums!
    I refuse to walk quietly through life only to arrive safely at death's doorstep.

It is better to die for something than live for nothing.

"When the rich wage war it's the poor who die"

^^EuphoricArythmia - Check It Out!^^

Feedback Score
    did you add the Logfile?? and then try clicking expand..

-Hotsnow

Feedback Score

LG Shine rogers

i have been having the same problem as monica. Bitpim will not recognise my phone. i followed all the steps on the tutorials and it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Feedback Score

LG Shine Rogers Bitpim

so i actually got my bitpim to detect my shine. i have no idea how i did it. it said found other cdma phone.

then i switched the settings to the lg vx8700 and clicked the filesystem and it said could not open com port (access denied)

anyone?

Feedback Score
    bitpim sucks. period. it doesn't work on my phone at least. i have a much easier way of doing things. i posted it in a thread a few weeks ago. check it out. fyi my method does use data and web minutes so if you don't want to use those then don't waste your time reading it. lemme know if this works for you.

Feedback Score
    I've found a solution to the same problem you had, namely that Bitpim wouldn't recognize the filesystem of my LG Shine. I went back through the Bitpim version archives and downloaded the earliest version of bitpim (found at this address: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitp....0.0.20070604/ just get bitpim-1.0.0.20070604-setup.exe). After installing this and editing the settings to treat my phone as an LG VX8700, I was able to view the filesystem. The interface for adding files is a little different (you have to right click and select new file, then locate the thing you're trying to add), but it works nonetheless.

Let me know if this solves your problem. I was searching for hours before finally figuring this method out.