Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HTC Display/Video Driver Issues - Very upsetting if true

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

HTC Display/Video Driver Issues - Very upsetting if true

Iíve had many HTC phones and come to this forum a lot over the years and am surprised that no one seems interested in the HTC driver issue with their latest devices. Itís would be nice to know if HTC is really going to fix it or not. I really want a Touch Cruise base on the specs but if itís slower than the P3300 I have now, Iíll be very disappointed.

Take a few minutes and read:

http://www.htcclassaction.org/responses.php

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanquen
    Iíve had many HTC phones and come to this forum a lot over the years and am surprised that no one seems interested in the HTC driver issue with their latest devices. Itís would be nice to know if HTC is really going to fix it or not. I really want a Touch Cruise base on the specs but if itís slower than the P3300 I have now, Iíll be very disappointed.

Take a few minutes and read:

http://www.htcclassaction.org/responses.php
    It's true, but I fail to see what the issue is. HTC never claimed their devices ship with these drivers, nor did they ever claim the affected devices are "optimized" for advanced graphics and multimedia. This supposed class-action lawsuit is baseless and will never see the light of day in a court room.
    Note: If you need support for your HTC device, please contact HTC Customer Support. I am not a support technician and will not be able to help in most instances.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Your reply and stance confound me. (Note: Easily confounded.) I donít really care about the law suit but itís not baseless. Itís very much implied that this is an upgrade to the previous model. Come on, there are all kinds of drivers, licensing and functionality that are never claimed or spelled out to the public but are implied or expected.

HTC promises, among other things "an excellent multimedia experience" and "entertainment features including an FM radio, MP3 player and video playback".

With the higher price and the much faster CPU speed and it looks almost the same as the previous model you donít expect any performance increase or even the same performance?

I donít think weíll ever know what the real deal was/is but if the information they have is correct. It kind of looks like this: Great we can get the newer faster Qualcomm MSM7200 chipset/CPU for our new model. The folks will like the idea of the (implied) much improved performance as we are going to tell them that itís CPU is 400MHz but we are not going to tell them that we are not enabling the video accretion. Then we don't have to pay for the ATI licensing and letís face it they wonít even notice that their new $600-$700+ phone runs even maybe a little slower than the one we sold them last year.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I can completely understand it from the consumer's perspective as we all want to "get our money's worth". Personally I haven't had problems. My Kaiser runs much better than any other generation I've had, but I've also customized it exactly the way I want it. I do believe people should stand up for what they believe and if they firmly believe HTC isn't meeting their expectations, they should stop buying or sell what they aren't satisfied with.

That being said, I do agree with Urban about the whole lawsuit thing. It's really the whole way a big chunk of the community is going about the situation. It's like the whole suing Apple for having a built-in battery. It's one to protect the consumers, but it's also another thing on how to go about doing it.

The other part of the problem is everyone is assuming we just need drivers and HTC is too lazy to produce them. The thing is we don't really know if that's the whole story. It wouldn't be surprising if Qualcomm had a big role in it too.

Furthermore, a lot are just bashing HTC without looking at what pluses they have given as well. For example the WM6 upgrades to WM5 devices that were never originally promised, even to some devices that were old. They also said they would give 6.1 to some of the devices. The development costs for them which was provided without an upgrade fee is a good example of how they do have some decent service.

Feedback Score
    The reality is that 2D performance is just atrocious in many 3rd party programs. Games I used to play on my 4 year old bottom of the line ipaq smoothly run at 5 frames a second on my vogue/touch. This would not be expected by anybody buying a modern windows mobile device.

Feedback Score
    Please don't feed the lawyers.....................

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I donít think anyone wants to feed the lawyers. I recall seeing a documentary on the whole Apple battery BS back in the day. I donít remember if they even got sued but there were people doing whatever they could. There was one guy that was putting flyers up all over New York to let people know and to try and shame Apple into doing something. When I first heard about it I could not believe it but of course at the time there where plenty of people saying that it wasnít that big a deal because Apple could do no wrong. But you buy a $100-$300 Iplode and then after a time of using your new toy you call tech support about an underperforming battery and that youíd like to replace it and then they tell you to go buy a new device. But hey, they never said that you could replace the battery it was just the stupid public that assumed theyíd be able to.

JwY Ė If HTC was or had been upfront about the issue from the beginning we wouldnít have to assume anything. Someone at HTC knew that a good number of the early adopters that are into getting the latest and greatest would notice that their new phone is slower than the old one, regardless of the end users ability to figure out why. They must have just hoped not enough people would complain. Again, I donít think Iíll ever know what the real deal is with HTC and Qualcomm and what the licensing deals were and why they decided to do this. Iím not trying to be a jerk about it but I really donít care what they have done in the past to help people get software or even firmware updates or whatnot. I think that they should do that. They are not my friend and they are not doing me any favors they are trying to get me to buy there next phone. Just like they donít care that my last three or four phones where HTC made phones. Theyíre not given me XX% off on the next one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Strata
    It's true, but I fail to see what the issue is. HTC never claimed their devices ship with these drivers, nor did they ever claim the affected devices are "optimized" for advanced graphics and multimedia. This supposed class-action lawsuit is baseless and will never see the light of day in a court room.
    It's sad when industry insiders are such enabling fanboys. Have a little self-respect dude. HTC never explicitly stated that they'd connect the keyboard either, they only advertised that it would have one. Would you take the same stance then too?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JwY
    It's one to protect the consumers, but it's also another thing on how to go about doing it.

The other part of the problem is everyone is assuming we just need drivers and HTC is too lazy to produce them. The thing is we don't really know if that's the whole story. It wouldn't be surprising if Qualcomm had a big role in it too.
    Well, a ton of people asked for the drivers. HTC's official response was, "Dear customers. Go f*ck yourself. But buy our next product where we fix the problem for another $700. Kthx." So now that that's not going to work, what exactly would be your solution?

And it doesn't matter who's involved. HTC misadvertised, they're the ones selling the phones, the buck stops there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanquen
    Itís very much implied that this is an upgrade to the previous model. Come on, there are all kinds of drivers, licensing and functionality that are never claimed or spelled out to the public but are implied or expected.
    What is "implied or expected" is very hard to determine in a court of law. What is implied or expected to you could be very different from what is implied or expected to me.

As Holishi said, there's nothing wrong with raising a fuss about this to convince HTC to include the drivers in the future. But I do not think HTC did anything overtly wrong in its current line of devices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish64
    Well, a ton of people asked for the drivers. HTC's official response was, "Dear customers. Go f*ck yourself. But buy our next product where we fix the problem for another $700. Kthx." So now that that's not going to work, what exactly would be your solution?

And it doesn't matter who's involved. HTC misadvertised, they're the ones selling the phones, the buck stops there.
    That was most certainly not HTC's "official response," nor did they "misadvertise" their devices. Please cite your sources.

Device(s)
    HTC Fuze
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I actually just bought the AT&T Tilt yesterday, and this was after much research on this site and xda-developers.com. Initially, while I was doing my research, I was scared that the tilt would be just a horrible brick of a phone that barely worked. So I also researched the Eten x800, and when I visted the eten-users.net forums, people were complaining and threatening a class action over the crippled 3G on the x800 and their outlook was dim on as whether the v900 would change much.

I was looking into an I-Mate, who has great phones, but with their financial future possibly in jeopardy, I was worried about support.

I also was considering an iPhone, but if you go to the forums at www.macrumors.com, you'll see that folks like their iPod, but they hate the fact that there is no copy/paste capability and that when the iPhone SDK comes out, everthing will probably have to go through iTunes/Apple.

I was also looking at the Nokia N95 8GB, which seems like the perfect phone, but for the price I wasn't really looking to switch out of the Windows OS. Plus folks complain how the 5 MP camera on the N95 is still as laggy as the camera on the previous versions.

I say all this to say that no matter what phone you are willing to get, people will be unhappy with some portion of it. My got my first PPC my freshman year of college; it was a Siemens SX56. then I went to a iMate JAM. Then I went to an Eten M500 (bad mistake), then I went to Cingular 8125. All of these phones had their dowloads, especially the M500, but with a little hacks here and there via xda-developers, these phones can truly meet their potential.

I know my Tilt doesn't have great video drivers, but with the current ROM I'm running on it, this thing is blazing! (the ROM is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=366284). I'm happy with my purchase, especially since I got it for $329, brand new, including next day shipping. Every phone will be crippled in some respect, but you just roll with the punches.
    Perseverance and endurance ensures success

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Strata
    That was most certainly not HTC's "official response," nor did they "misadvertise" their devices. Please cite your sources.
    No, that IS what they said. They just sugar-coated it. I'm just translating it from industry-speak.

Feedback Score
    For the record, this is HTC's official response on Jan. 22, 2008:

HTC is committed to delivering a portfolio of devices that offer a wide variety of communication, connectivity and entertainment functionality. HTC does not offer dedicated or optimized multimedia devices and can confirm that its Qualcomm MSM7xxx-based devices do not use ATIís Imageon video acceleration hardware.

HTC believes the overall value of its devices based on their combination of functionality and connectivity exceeds their ability to play or render high-resolution video. These devices do still provide a rich multimedia experience comparable to that of most smart phones and enable a variety of audio and video file formats.

HTC values its customers and the overall online community of mobile device enthusiasts and fans. HTC plans to include video acceleration hardware in future video-centric devices that will enable high-resolution video support.
    And this is HTC's second official response on Jan. 25, 2008:

HTC does plan to offer software upgrades that will increase feature functionality, over the air wireless speeds, and other enhancements for some of the phones being criticized, but we do not anticipate including any additional support for the video issues cited in customer complaints. It is important for customers to understand that bringing this functionality to market is not a trivial driver update and requires extensive software development and time.

HTC will utilize hardware video acceleration like the ATI Imageon in many upcoming products. Our users have made it clear that they expect our products to offer an improved visual experience, and we have included this feedback into planning and development of future products.

To address lingering questions about HTC's current MSM 7xxx devices, it is important to establish that a chipset like an MSM7xxx is a platform with a vast multitude of features that enable a wide range of devices with varied functionality. It is common that devices built on platforms like Qualcomm's will not enable every feature or function.

In addition to making sure the required hardware is present, unlocking extended capabilities of chipsets like the MSM 7xxx requires in-depth and time consuming software development, complicated licensing negotiations, potential intellectual property negotiations, added licensing fees, and in the case of devices that are sold through operators, the desire of the operator to include the additional functionality. To make an informed decision about which handset suits them best, consumers should look at the product specification itself instead of using the underlying chipset specifications to define what the product could potentially become.
    If you want to translate all that into "Dear customers. Go f*ck yourself. But buy our next product where we fix the problem for another $700. Kthx." -- as Blowfish64 states above -- then, well, I can't help ya. Probably nobody can.

Feedback Score
    Very informative, Mr. Strata.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast